support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Andy Sheppard Autograph Tenor Sax "New Orleans"

I'm sorry... I didn't see that thread, i'm still a bit confused by all the forums here, thank you :)
I've just read it and it doesn't clarify what model it is. I'd still be interested to know if anybody reading the forum has tried the "New Orleans" or owns one or who would advise on whether they are a good investment or not.

Last edited:
I might be wrong, but I think that I have read that the model is the AS Autograph and that, because few of them were made, they were each called after a town or City. I don't think the different place names signify different models though, just different individual saxes in the line.
I think that the Autograph series was made as a variation from the TJ RAW saxes but that Andy Shepherd collaborated with the maker going to and fro with suggested modifications until he was happy to put his name to it.

From the website....
"Andy puts his signature on the bell of this incredible saxophone as a seal of approval that the Andy Sheppard Autograph Series tenor is of the highest quality craftsmanship. All are hand built and finished in Lenham, Kent by Dave Farley of Worldwind Music. Only 100 of these tenor saxophones will be built and each will be individually numbered and engraved with a different favourite World city where Andy has performed.

Every finished saxophone will be play tested by Andy Sheppard to ensure each instrument meets his exacting performance standards. This final quality control process is accompanied by an audio recording of Andy testing the saxophone over at his Bristol studio along with a signed CD."

Andy Sheppard Autograph Series Saxophone

Alice: all the horns are exactly the same. The hundred thing is the favourite one hundred places he has played. The New Orleans will play the same as Istanbul. I wanted the Liverpool one, but somebody had nicked it LOL Ade x
Aww thanks... that's true.. I did read the blurb but i'd forgotton that was the case. I was thinking that there were differences in sound and that The NO model being representative of that city, would have something about its design and build that would create a sound to evoke the spirit of the Old New Orleans. I suppose i'm too much of a romantic. I listened to the sound clip and wasn't disappointed.

I might be wrong, but I think that I have read that the model is the AS Autograph and that, because few of them were made, they were each called after a town or City. I don't think the different place names signify different models though, just different individual saxes in the line.
I think that the Autograph series was made as a variation from the TJ RAW saxes but that Andy Shepherd collaborated with the maker going to and fro with suggested modifications until he was happy to put his name to it.

From the website....
"Andy puts his signature on the bell of this incredible saxophone as a seal of approval that the Andy Sheppard Autograph Series tenor is of the highest quality craftsmanship. All are hand built and finished in Lenham, Kent by Dave Farley of Worldwind Music. Only 100 of these tenor saxophones will be built and each will be individually numbered and engraved with a different favourite World city where Andy has performed.

Every finished saxophone will be play tested by Andy Sheppard to ensure each instrument meets his exacting performance standards. This final quality control process is accompanied by an audio recording of Andy testing the saxophone over at his Bristol studio along with a signed CD."

Andy Sheppard Autograph Series Saxophone
I confess that i'd never heard of Andy Sheppard before and think I should have. I'll google and listen. Lenham isn't far from me! I would love to pop in and have a look.
Noo.... I can't afford one at all... but hey.

whether they are a good investment or not.

That's easy.
No.

Maybe this needs a touch more explanation.

What you're buying is a British assembled and heavily tweaked version of the standard raw. 100 will be made. Each named after a city where Andy Shepherd has played. Top quality.

So there's a big premium on the price to cover the development, hand assembly etc.

What we've seen so far is that limited edition saxes don't seem to sell well when you sell them. And that TJs in general don't seem to hold their value.

So if you're going to buy to sell on at a profit in a few years, it's a big gamble. If you're buying to play it, then it's an expensive top end instrument that's worth the money if it suits you. If it doesn't you're likely to lose a lot when you move on.

The Sheppard isn`t just a tweaked RAW Kev (any more than a Lamborghini murcielago is a tweaked Audi R8) - watch the concept video , they spent a lot of time designing the horn from the drawing board, they didn`t simply take a RAW and shift bits about until Andy liked it ..........

Alice , there`s a second hand Sheppard in the Yard sale for a lot less than 5 Grand :D

The Sheppard isn`t just a tweaked RAW Kev (any more than a Lamborghini murcielago is a tweaked Audi R8) - watch the concept video , they spent a lot of time designing the horn from the drawing board, they didn`t simply take a RAW and shift bits about until Andy liked it ..........

Alice , there`s a second hand Sheppard in the Yard sale for a lot less than 5 Grand :D
Thanks for the correction.

Ähm isn't that a meek statement for a 5 K sax? Or, am I missing a sense of british humour and modesty here?
:headscratch:

Alphorn
In truth I thought it sounded absolutely bloody amazing!! I would buy one in an instant, just for me... Not as an investment or any reason other than the pure joy of having one. The reason for my post is because I am completely green and out of my depth when it comes to the instruments themselves. I have a passion for the music and the people who play, but that's where my knowledge ended until now... I hope that makes sense? I hoped that the experience that you all have would serve to back up my own opinion or tell me truthfully if what was being sold was just a pretty horn with a designer price tag :)

Yes, that's what convinced me, exactly that.
Thank you very much Ads, i'll take a look!

Yeah, its a lovely horn no doubt and although the bits are made in Taiwan, the design of all of them were specified and closely worked with by Dave Farley .. the result would probably be no different if there was a selection of Brass workshops over here making the parts (only faster as they`re closer), the horn would no doubt cost a lot more if the parts could be sourced here and probably no better if indeed as good .

Back
Top Bottom