PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones New, old stock Bauhaus tenor and alto

My BW sopranino (what possessed me - real GAS), soprano and baritone are great if I needed an alto or tenor I would probably get them or at least try them and think about it.

I'd rate a Yamaha 23/25 above an SR.
Had an SR tenor, so did my tutor, and neither of us rated them. The alto may be better but you could find a 62 for £750 for sure.
Looking at an alternative to a Yamaha reasonably priced or Yamaha 62 or equivalent in price Yani/ selmer.
At the moment £1200 for a 62 etc, a bit too much.

I'd rate a Yamaha 23/25 above an SR.
Had an SR tenor, so did my tutor, and neither of us rated them. The alto may be better but you could find a 62 for £750 for sure.
I'd also prefer a 23 over a TJ SR in most respects, and a 25 in pretty much all. The one limitation with the 23, nice sax though it is, is that it doesn't have a high F# key. I use this key as a reliable and predictable way of hitting both F# and altissimo G, and it is one thing I'd miss on a 23.

You might get a 62 for £750, but you'd really have to shop around, looking for local sales, preloved, FaceBook marketplace and so on. I haven't seen one at that price for a good while, although I haven't been actively looking for a while. They typically go for about £1100 on eBay and a good chunk more (of course) in shops.

Quite surprised as Stephen Howard gave the SR alto and Tenor a good review.
You have owned played them so I will not argue with your findings.

Keeps me interested while I practise

@Stephen Howard At the end of your review of TJ Horn 88 you gave the AS-PD as an alternative.
As there isn't a review of it on your website.
I never got around to reviewing the alto - but the comments in the tenor review pretty much apply.
It had a big sound for an alto, with lots of oomph down at the bottom end - and the keyboard of a Yanagisawa.

In terms of build quality the Yamaha beats it out of the box, but it doesn't have anywhere near the depth of tone.

I liked the SR very much. I have the RAW alto and tenor, and previously had the YAS21, 62 and the YTS 23. The RAW takes elements of the Yamaha and combines them with elements of the standard Selmer house sound...and the SR follows that pattern very closely indeed. I've gigged with all of them, including the Chinese and Taiwanese Bauhaus horns.
Yamaha still win out on build quality - but ultimately you'd need to play these horns and make your own mind up.
I'm happy to recommend any of them, with suitable caveats re. build quality/price.

Back
Top Bottom