All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones New, old stock Bauhaus tenor and alto

EdJ

Locality
UK
I see a Bauhaus tenor and alto have come up as new, old stock. I am tempted as I was impressed with these and sorry to see Woodwind and brass stop trading them.

Stephen Howard

Locality
UK
That's a bit of a bargain. That's the M2 - the Taiwanese-built horn. Worth a punt if you like your horns on the fat-sounding side.

EdJ

Locality
UK
“Grassi” as the Italians would say. Are Grassi horns fat too? They should be, literally.

There is also an Alto.

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
I compared a BW M2 tenor with my Grassi Professional 2000 last year, and I preferred the Grassi. I prefer my current YTS-62 to both. But I think I would have been happy with the BW - it was good to play.

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
I'd worry about defects with the BW.
Hopefully after all this time in storage they'd have manifested themselves if they were ever going to.

Stephen Howard

Locality
UK
I'd worry about defects with the BW.
Hopefully after all this time in storage they'd have manifested themselves if they were ever going to.
The M2 wasn't particularly noted for any defects over and above any other Taiwanese horn.

dreadnet

Locality
England
Would have bought this 4 months ago, but I'm over the moon with my Yamaha YTS-275 even though playing D is a struggle.

What are the Alto versions like?
Playing/repairing

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
Alto Yamaha or alto BW?

dreadnet

Locality
England
Alto BW, read the review on Stephens site on the tenor version. Just wondering how good compared to the tenor.

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
The M2 tenor is a good-quality Taiwanese instrument. The alto is cheap Chinese. I haven't played one, but very much doubt that it is in the same league as your Yamaha.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
The M2 tenor is a good-quality Taiwanese instrument. The alto is cheap Chinese. I haven't played one, but very much doubt that it is in the same league as your Yamaha.
It's a bit of a canary that one. I'm not so sure about the altos but my BW story is this:

(1)

I bought one of the very first (Chinese) sopranos, this was back when the "shop" was in Sunny Fareham. It was considerably better than my old Rampone. Then they brought out the M2 Earth and Meryin took my Chinese soprano back in part exchange for the M2.

However it didn't take long (about a week) for me to realise I preferred the old Chinese one. It just so happened Martin (the BW owner and a true gent) needed an M2 for a customer as demand had rocketed and so took it back to sell on as ex demo which is actually the truth, I'd played it for about 45 minutes. Don't get me wrong it wasn't bad, just not as much my cup of tea as the Chinese one. I had fallen for the myth that Taiwan is better than Chinese (which may well be true re: build quality but what counts is the intangible subjective feelback you get as a player)

What did I do then? I just went and got a Buescher TT. And looking back the Chinese BW was more like the TT than the M2 was so there you go.

(2)

And I think the same is maybe true of the tenors, at least the earlier ones. I did some comparisons between the basic Chinese bronze one and the taiwan M2. The M2 was just like a Mauriat or Cannonball. In fact Martin had asked advice form both myself and Stephen when we were at the Musikmesse, and I think we both indpendently recommended that supplier - nice horns with ceramic reflectors IIRC.

So very good and well made, but the cheap Chinese one had something special down the bottom end. I think ultimately there may have been a change in neck design though and although with those ones the sound may have improved for some people, I still missed the big bottom (oo-er missus)

So in both cases I wiuld probably more happily be playing the cheaper one.

Guenne

Locality
Austria
I had both M2s, Alto and Tenor in a dark laquer. The Alto looked just like the Tenor, pads, making.
I don't think they came from different factories. Or did I get something wrong?
After some time, I've traded both of them for a very good Mark VII Alto.

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
I had both M2s, Alto and Tenor in a dark laquer. The Alto looked just like the Tenor, pads, making.
I don't think they came from different factories. Or did I get something wrong?
The ones listed for sale are an M2 tenor (Taiwan) and an AS-YD alto (China - not an M2 alto).

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
The Alto looked just like the Tenor, pads, making.
I don't think they came from different factories.

No I'm sure the M2s all came from the same factory. Much of the time when you deal with Asian manufacturing you deal with an agent, so you can never be sure it is the same factory, because also factories can share templates and designs. Then when dealing interemnationally they go through an agent who could represent different factories making essentially the same thing.

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
I've never played an M2 so can't comment, but I have owned a Chinese-built BW alto, still own a sop and also had a BW baritone for a good while. They were all great. The alto was really good to play with a good tone and easy ergonomics. I am a fan of Yamaha student saxes, and I guess I'd just take a YAS275 over my old BW alto, but having had both, there wasn't much in it. 'Cheap Chinese' implies bad Chinese. I'd have labelled the three BWs I've owned as 'decent Chinese'.

They did get a reputation for variable QC after a while, but speaking from personal experience, a good one is a good sax by any standards. I've been playing a long time and have some nice saxes (Yanagisawa tenor and alto) but never felt I was slumming it playing the various BWs I've owned.

dreadnet

Locality
England
Still on the steep beginner curve 6 months and counting. 5 days a week one hour. Plus give the tenor a blow on alto off days. When I go back to alto the low notes just gives me good vibes.

Getting a bit of gas syndrome :D

dreadnet

Locality
England
This is what happens when you drop the after work pint, you go home have a draught pint get on the computer and start looking at sax forums, ebay, reverb etc.
Happy covid days as they say

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
I wasn't saying that the Chinese BW's are bad. I have a curved BW soprano myself and it's a nice instrument. I just don't think they are in the same league as Yamahas.

What I have heard is that the Chinese BW's started off as really good instruments, but that they started having quality problems with what they got from the factory. An "out-of-the-box" instrument is presumably one of the last ones and so I feel that it may be a bit of a gamble. But it may be excellent.

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
This is what happens when you drop the after work pint, you go home have a draught pint get on the computer and start looking at sax forums, ebay, reverb etc.
Happy covid days as they say
Have you looked at... the Yardsale, here?
;)

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom