All profit supporting   special needs music

Saxophones My new tenor

kevgermany

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
R1 Jazz ? Custom engraving? Antique Silver/Gold finish.

Engraving certainly looks Southern Alps...

Hope you're going to post some sound clips soon. I think I've just fallen in lust...

Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
Have you had this on order for a time P? Is it a custom job? A hybrid? stick. Rationale.
No, I saw it for the first time at Frankfurt. I had my Conn with and so could do a very rigorous side by side comparison

Sunray

Sunray

Locality
Norfolk, UK
Copied from Sax Life Forum Board Sax.co.uk

Rampone had built a special showpiece "Two Voice" tenor made from solid silver & bronze. It had some stunning engraving of the two church towers in Quarna where the saxes are made. Rampone didn't want to sell it but after a good deal of arm twisting they agreed to let us have it in a few weeks time. However..... as we left the stand well known UK saxophonist Pete Thomas dragged us back and insisted on buying it from us there & then! It was between that and an Inderbinden but he decided he couldn't live without the Rampone. We're hoping Rampone will make us another so once again...keep an eye on the website.

:mrcool

Adrian63

Adrian63

Locality
United Kingdom
Hi again. Gambling. Terrible habit, nevermind. I got the guitar i mentioned ten mins ago. However i gotta get this. S*** i may have to check out the clue. Maybe not. Somethin about engravin..Hmmm. Surely not!! Nope. Feeling good ish. Stick.

Adrian63

Adrian63

Locality
United Kingdom
Whoa

Good work man. Were is that from? I'll check man. This phone is slow today. A pain.

Sunray

Sunray

Locality
Norfolk, UK
Here you go mate ...

Good work man. Were is that from? I'll check man. This phone is slow today. A pain.

About the fourth para down ...

Click Here

Last edited:
Chris98

Chris98

Rampone had built a special showpiece "Two Voice" tenor made from solid silver & bronze. It had some stunning engraving of the two church towers in Quarna where the saxes are made. Rampone didn't want to sell it but after a good deal of arm twisting they agreed to let us have it in a few weeks time. However..... as we left the stand well known UK saxophonist Pete Thomas dragged us back and insisted on buying it from us there & then! It was between that and an Inderbinden but he decided he couldn't live without the Rampone. We're hoping Rampone will make us another so once again...keep an eye on the website.

:mrcool

Hello Pete,

I'm just wondering, if there was a prize at all, you know for the person who guessed it within 12 minutes of you putting up this thread... If you're having trouble thinking of a suitable prize I'm sure I could help ;}

But you do owe us all a few sound clips.

Best wishes and enjoy your new sax,

Chris

Adrian63

Adrian63

Locality
United Kingdom
???

Pete says " I saw it for the first time in Frankfurt ". Ergo; it cant be. All this Borgani is red herring. I only wanna take one guess. My Nan used to say " never change your first choice ". Did me no use at the National! Oh man...stick.

Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's

Arm twisting !!!

Yes, this is a horn worth twisting an arm for.

They don't mention one of the nicest features: olive wood key touches.

How much did it cost? Don't ask.

voices-2.jpg

Adrian63

Adrian63

Locality
United Kingdom
Wonderful

Oh Pete. Nice man. Very nice. Congratulations. Chris well done mate. Well, well. Great.

MMM

MMM

Locality
SW of London Town
Fantastic looking horn, congratulations! I'm sure I won't be the only one wanting to hear some sound clips, preferably side by side with the 10M. Still, my guess is that they will sound similar in a sound test. Saxes are about feel and how they sound to the player, as well as how they sound to everyone else.

Enjoy!

M.

Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
Not important, but I would like to know how you knew it was the 'one', what was it about it that grabbed you?

I had my Conn with me so I could do a good comparison. After I had checked both side by side, I got a few other people to give opinions (including the great Bobby Wellins) and it was unanimous that there was no contest.

Then the final test, along comes Stephen Howard. Normally if I like a horn he doesn't (with the exception of an Inderbinen), so I said to him "I'm going to buy this provided you hate it". He gave it a blow and said "you definitely not buying this then".

sax.co.uk are right in that it would be a tough call between this and the Inderbinen, but on sheer looks, this wins hands down anyway.

Very close to this in my opinion is the Ponzol Proon and the unlaquered (dark coloured) Bauhaus M2, which both Ernie Watts (yes Ernie Watts) and Toni Kofi loved BTW.

Chris

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Locality
Manchester,England
You can't beat a new sax day

Hi Pete, Congrtats on the new sax:welldone sounds like this one wanted you, just as much as you wanted it..If you get chance some sound clips would be cool:mrcool but hey just enjoy the new sax.:sax:

Chris

VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Locality
Milton Keynes (ish)
Congratulations Pete! Given my recent experience, I empathise with not being able to let a horn go!

ATG

ATG

Locality
East Texas area
it's a beautiful horn.....congrats & enjoy.

Taz

Taz

Busking Oracle
Locality
Rugby UK
I didn't realise that Jollysun made such pretty saxes in real gold brass and wooden key touches!

Very very pretty Pete. I'm with the others, can we have some sound clips please.

VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Locality
Milton Keynes (ish)
One more thought Pete. Apart from the looks, individuality, stunning engraving, tone and all-round Italian-ness, presumably the fact that you could actually try out the horn you were buying gave it an edge over the Inderbinen?

Oh, and do you have Italian hands? The layout and balance of the R1 tenor I tried a few weeks ago completely put me off them. Presumably this wasn't an issue for you, or all of the other factors outweighed any downside in this area? (or R&C have changed things)

old git

old git

Tremendous Bore
Locality
The Palm Tree strewn Wandle Surf Beach under the o
Although holding a different party ticket, George Osborne, knowing of the influence the CaSLM has over That Nice Mr. Thomas, contacted us to ask you to return that sax immediately for a full refund. He insists that should you persist with this folly, the United Kingdom will be unable to bail out Portugal, will render the No Fly Zone, no fly for the RAF and deprive honest politicians of a well deserved pay rise.

Have just ordered an extra large packet of Brillo pads for silver plate removal, some olive wood and an Engrave by Numbers kit to convert the ST-8.

kevgermany

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Congrats Pete. That's an awesome horn. You're a very lucky man!

I thought Sunray was joking with his post, but hats off to him!