All profit supporting   special needs music

Saxophones My new tenor

gladsaxisme

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Locality
manchester
Well Pete

I finally got to listen to them all and the are really great,but I have to wonder how much is down to the man blowing the horn and how much the horn, and what the difference would be if you were playing your second favourite horn next to it.

I also clicked on the grafton in the window above and there was another recording but that started with a pic of a Beuscher 400 on it and then went on to pics of the grafton.Were you playing the grafton or the Beuscher ,what ever it was it sounded fabulous,and if you were playing the 400 are there any recordings of the grafton anywhere,thanks ...john

VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Locality
Milton Keynes (ish)
I finally got to listen to them all and the are really great,but I have to wonder how much is down to the man blowing the horn and how much the horn, and what the difference would be if you were playing your second favourite horn next to it.
I agree with this. No doubt about it, the horn looks great and the clips sound wonderful. I hope that Pete has many years of enjoyment from it; but as my teacher keeps telling me, "your sound comes from you".

Also, there is more to a horn than how it records including handling, feel and response, which are very personal things. What ticks one's person's boxes may not tick everyone else's. My MkVI feels more comfortable in my hands than any other tenor I've tried, and it puts out sound in a way that I couldn't live without; I just "had to have it" in the same way that Pete "had to have" the Two Voices. The more I play my horn, the more its cost seems almost reasonable(!), and that's a very good sign. I'll bet that Pete feels the same.

Back to the sound clips, I'm impressed how, on the first clip, Pete really tames any edge from the PPT 9* (which is a compliment to both player and piece). I would have said that maybe the 9* really is noticeably less bright than my 8*, but the edge is there in the second clip. "Your sound comes from you...".

Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
I also clicked on the grafton in the window above and there was another recording but that started with a pic of a Beuscher 400 on it and then went on to pics of the grafton.Were you playing the grafton or the Beuscher ,what ever it was it sounded fabulous,and if you were playing the 400 are there any recordings of the grafton anywhere,thanks ...john

In that recording I am switching between the Buescher and the Grafton, the pictures coincide with whichever horn I am playing.

gladsaxisme

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Locality
manchester
Thanks for that Pete

Like I said it all sounded fabulous to me, and in truth they are the two alto's at the top of my wish list and I have been sorely tempted to have a punt at a couple of Graftons that have gone through on ebay, but have been put off a little by my tutor who is also a mech and has warned me you need to have a look at them first due to their problems with going brittle and cracking.Who knows maybe one day....john

gladsaxisme

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Locality
manchester
Hi Pete

Is that your original Grafton or have you upgraded to a better one later?If not you've a had great £12:10s worth haven't you...john

R

Rogerb

Locality
Costa Blanca, Spain
That is a beautiful looking and sounding tenor, Pete.

How does its weight compare with others you've played ? .... it looks like a lotta lovely tinware :)

Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
That is a beautiful looking and sounding tenor, Pete.

How does its weight compare with others you've played ? .... it looks like a lotta lovely tinware :)

It's heavy. It is a very large bore as well, much bigger than my Conn.

TomMapfumo

TomMapfumo

Locality
Skabertawe, South Wales
It's heavy. It is a very large bore as well, much bigger than my Conn.

Are you going to call it Bill....? You could then get Ed to make a PPT out of oldgitite.....................;}