support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Must be mad at my age!

Welcome to the caffé Ali.
It's never too late to mend, and 40s are the new 10s, in particular for childish sax players.

I recognise that I am still prone to tensing up when playing - would this be a possible cause?
Blaming the reed is a common attitude, but sometimes looking inside yourself can help you finding the deeper cause
the 80’s party band I sing with.
:)

Regarding the slobber- we used to say that guy is "frying bacon" over there.

Welcome to the forums!

Welcome to the caff©, Ali.

Do your thing.

ENJOY!

First off - Welcome to the Caff. Yes Ali, you are right !!! - And - I would like to take this opportunity to confirm your suspicions. Taking up the playing of the devil's horn at any age is for sure a sign of certifiable insanity if not the beginnings of a descent into complete and utter madness. Since I've been blowing down these long curly metal tubes with lots've funny shiny keys with knobs on 'em for over 47 years I do feel that I am in fact more than eminently qualified to make what might seem to lesser mortals to be a seemingly outrageous statement. But - Let us face the facts - Are we not born into this world to suffer ? - So - we may as well make the best of it and have a whole lot've fun while we're at it. Last but not least I do assure you, by learning to play and hopefuly eventually "conkering" this infernal instrument you will eventually transcend astral planes beyond the realms of earthbound consciousness. You will begin to realize that it's not you that's daft but that all saxophone players from beginners to the prima donnas without exclusion are in fact and without question superior beings. With these few words in mind I hope yer gonna have a whole lotta fun Ali. Gruss - spike (with cheek firmly in tongue . . . err . . . )

... when I were a lad I 'ad t'blow through rolled oop newspaper if I could find one in t'street!

Like you I prefer to do my own thing. If I had to learn properly, like they tried to force me to do with the flute at school (I wasn't learning the flute, they just used to hit me with one), I'd probably have given up. Having said that, my tutor does keep trying to install technique and "learning" but it's a slow process at "our" age. ;)

Welcome to the cafe!! Have you ever considered using vandoren reeds?? I find that Rico reeds are like playing on toilet paper . Have fun!!

Back
Top Bottom