All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

I must be mad...

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Café Supporter
Locality
Whitchurch, North Shropshire UK
I have never sat an AB music exam. I have just applied to do G6 theory on Nov. 4th - a mere 3 hour written paper...
:headscratch:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Sheer masochism. Good luck, you'll need it.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Locality
The Palm Tree strewn Wandle Surf Beach under the o
Sitting with your knees apart, for instance on a horse or playing a cello, does raise the libido, which might account for this action.

Good luck and best wishes with the bragging rights and rites.>:)>:)>:)

Young Col

Locality
Coulsdon, London/Surrey
Good luck TV! I did Grade 5 theory a couple of years ago, having not taken a formal exam in anything for about 30 years, and got a distinction. Be aware though that AB put all theory candidates at all grades in together and you will probably find that the majority will be doing lower grades and will still be at school. When I arrived I was asked if I was bringing a son or daughter for an exam.
I would have gone for 6 but couldn't get passed the idea that a Neapolitan 6th was not a type of ice cream.

Tenor Viol

Café Supporter
Locality
Good luck TV! I did Grade 5 theory a couple of years ago, having not taken a formal exam in anything for about 30 years, and got a distinction. Be aware though that AB put all theory candidates at all grades in together and you will probably find that the majority will be doing lower grades and will still be at school. When I arrived I was asked if I was bringing a son or daughter for an exam.
I would have gone for 6 but couldn't get passed the idea that a Neapolitan 6th was not a type of ice cream.
Ah - as opposed to a major triad in first inversion built on the flattened supertonic?

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Ah - as opposed to a major triad in first inversion built on the flattened supertonic?

@trimmy

Supersonic = 2nd note of scale e.g. D in C major. So flattened would be a semitone down.

Major triad is the chord I III V. So built on the flattened tonic in C gives you CbEG. This is also known as a Neapolitan chord, and usually found in the first inversion.

Inversions are chords made of the same notes, but instead of starting with the tonic as root, another note is used. E.G. For C major, CEG the first inversion is EGC with C being the highest note, E the lowest. With the flattened tonic: EGCb.

Last edited:

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
Locality
The Malverns, Worcs
Grade 6??? why grade 6? do you need it? what will you do with it? grade 5 I can understand (sort of) but grade 6??

Young Col

Locality
Coulsdon, London/Surrey
Kev - Supersonic - love it!
But you've written it as on the flattened tonic, not supertonic. In normal form it would be Db, F, Ab. In first inversion it's F, Ab, Db. All a bit esoteric though as it was mostly used by Naples composers in 17-18C music.

I kind of agree with Mandy. Unless you are going to teach it, apart from self-satisfaction, here's not a lot of point going for 6 theory. Grade 5 theory, or a pass in the jazz grade, is needed if you are going to progress to Grade 6 and beyond in AB playing grades. Good luck anyway.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Thanks for the correction.

Supersonic was my phone sneaking it's own opinion in. Maybe I should get one.

Tenor Viol

Café Supporter
Locality
YC is correct :)

@trimmy - if you come round some time, it's much easier to demonstrate at the piano

It's a bit of a personal challenge, partly triggered by someone asking me to teach them music theory... If I get through this, I'd quite like to do G8 theory... o_O

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
YC is correct :)

@trimmy - if you come round some time, it's much easier to demonstrate at the piano

It's a bit of a personal challenge, partly triggered by someone asking me to teach them music theory... If I get through this, I'd quite like to do G8 theory... o_O

There's an offer @trimmy if you want a real challenge you can try teaching me :)

Jx

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom