• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Playing the saxophone Musicianship

jbtsax

R.I.P. in memoriam 1947 - 2023
Messages
8,990
Location
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
I used the word "musicianship" in another thread and got the impression some folks were a bit intimidated by the word, or at least by the idea. I'd like to describe what "musicianship" means to me in my experience and then have others share their thoughts and ideas as well.

When I got my training in music education in the late '60's and early '70's my mentor at the university stressed "musicianship" above all else both in performance and in teaching others. I came to learn that it is both multifaceted and a process rather than a destination since it never stops expanding based upon your experience. Here are a few of my thoughts:

Musicianship is:
  • Knowing how your part fits in the ensemble.
  • The ability to match pitch with other players.
  • The ability to blend with other instruments in the ensemble.
  • The ability to think of and play phrases rather than just notes.
  • Knowing which notes to give more weight to and which to give less.
  • Being able to play in the style of the piece with the appropriate articulation.
  • Understanding the contour of each phrase and the piece as a whole.
  • Mastering the "mechanics" of your instrument so that the instrument doesn't get in the way.
I know it sounds like a "tall order", but think of it this way. Even a relatively new player on an instrument with the proper equipment and coaching can, with practice, produce a beautiful 8 measure phrase that says something musically (emotionally) to the listener. That is a place to start. Follow that phrase with another, and then another and eventually you are playing complete songs musically and expressively. Then go on to more challenging pieces, start playing in duets and ensembles, and keep the journey going.
 
You sound so organized, sometimes... ;-)
Even a relatively new player on an instrument with the proper equipment and coaching can, with practice, produce a beautiful 8 measure phrase that says something musically (emotionally) to the listener.

This is the very point. What is beautiful?
I spent my last 46 years developing my concept of "beautiful music". Teachers, friends, musicians help me a lot.
I also spent 30+ years trying to make that ever-changing beautiful music, learning to blow and move my fingers on a saxophone.
Point is, that aesthetic appreciation is a process as important as learning the technical bits.

With hard work, even @kevgermany can appreciate the beauty of "A Love Supreme"
 
An old guy came up to me after a pub gig and said " you can make that thing talk". It was the best compliment I've ever had. I was pleased for days after. I try to say something when I play.
Mine is "man, you think melodies!". Also from a guy that has been a guest of Her Majesty twice (but definitely not at Buckingham Palace).
 
Last edited:
My tutor played at Winston Churchill's funeral and still says he is learning! Neither does he call himself a musician! That is modesty for you. His name..........Peter Ripper.....top man!
 
Before this thread goes "silly" I would like to add that a big part of "musicianship" is learned by playing in ensembles. Since that is not possible for everyone, I would like to put in my habitual plug for Smart Music.
For a $40 per year subscription one can play along with professional sounding concert bands and jazz ensembles at all levels of difficulty. The music is shown on the screen with a cursor that shows you where you are. A big part of musicianship is learning how to listen as you play. Playing along helps to develop pitch, rhythmic accuracy, sense of tempo and beat, and making your sound blend with the ensemble. Of course it can't replace playing in a live group, but it is a great way to develop those skills waiting for that opportunity to present itself.
 
Before this thread goes "silly" I would like to add that a big part of "musicianship" is learned by playing in ensembles. Since that is not possible for everyone, I would like to put in my habitual plug for Smart Music.
For a $40 per year subscription one can play along with professional sounding concert bands and jazz ensembles at all levels of difficulty. The music is shown on the screen with a cursor that shows you where you are. A big part of musicianship is learning how to listen as you play. Playing along helps to develop pitch, rhythmic accuracy, sense of tempo and beat, and making your sound blend with the ensemble. Of course it can't replace playing in a live group, but it is a great way to develop those skills waiting for that opportunity to present itself.
This sounds interesting. Does anyone have experience of using it on an iPad (I don't have a desktop computer)? The iPad info I could find just seemed to be for a student to do assignments and send them to their teacher. That's not what I need I just want to be able to play music with the recorded ensembles.
 
Ah, labels.

When I was younger I considered myself a 'real' musician because I cared about the mechanics of music, was able to play complex pieces of music, practised and practised. You get the idea. And, of course, this came with a healthy dose of arrogance. 😉

Whereas I had friends who were also musicians but didn't consider themselves as such because they weren't interested in the mechanics of music or whether they were or weren't able to play complex music. Their opinion of their place in the world of music also came with a healthy dose of arrogance.

And then there were other musicians who thought that people like me weren't real musicians because we didn't play jazz, which was what proper musicians played.

Except proper musicians play classical music, jazz people just wiggle their fingers a lot and make a noise based on technicalities, not harmony, feel or musicality.

As this bizarre circle of perpetual arrogance turns and turns, certain words and phrases become synonymous with things and attitudes that don't, or shouldn't really define the word.

And musicianship is definitely one such word.

It's no different in other realms of life, though. Get a few motorcycle riders together and then bring up the subject of what is and isn't a biker. 😉
 
the ABRSM definition -
Musicianship is a broad concept that covers a complex range of musical abilities. For the purposes of this syllabus, it is loosely defined as the ability to ‘think in sound’. This occurs when a musician is able to produce music which they perceive internally and in the imagination, whether through playing by ear, singing, reading from notation, or through improvisation.
 

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,262
Messages
576,028
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom