All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

musicians that between them show the best range of styles

dave 645

So can you name three saxophonists, that each play a different style of music, but collectively show what a sax is capable of?
Hope that makes sense

Young Col

Almost impossible Dave. I would take a very risky punt at four in jazz alone - Bechet/Young/Parker/Coltrane; risky because it is no where near sufficient. There must be as many original ones in rock/pop sax and I am ashamed to say I don't know any classical sax players well enough to name!
YC

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
ok...hm .... albert ayler, john harle and lester young.... how does that sound (or could be peter brotzman, gerard mccrystal and art pepper) basically a free jazz/raw noise player, a classical player and a jazzer (jazz being a pretty broad church by itself).... ah but then there's king curtis, the whole rock & roll side of things, Garbarek for celtic folkiness, a latin music school of playing... hm, young Col might well be right...

AdamBradley

I went to a workshop run by Crowthers a few weeks ago with John Harle as the guest 'chap that everyone's there to see'.

Very interesting guy, the thing that stuck out most was his swearing by those Warburton embouchure trainers that someone linked here a few months back.

I can't answer your question, I don't know enough sax players from other spheres of music outside my favourites!

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
I thought about Brotzman too, but I decided to be parochial and go for living British players. Spreading the net a bit further you could have John Zorn, Marcel Mule and Sidney Bechet with a side order of Earl Bostic.

dave 645

I guess it was a different way of saying, recommend some music that will show me what a sax can do.. I've spent some money based on Nick's first answer earlier on. The rest I am previewing on itunes throughout the day. Thanks for all the answers. Most of the names I had never heard of.

BigMartin

I guess it was a different way of saying, recommend some music that will show me what a sax can do.. I've spent some money based on Nick's first answer earlier on. The rest I am previewing on itunes throughout the day. Thanks for all the answers. Most of the names I had never heard of.
Have you tried a YouTube search for Plas Johnson? Quite a wide variety of styles all on his own. Don't know why he's not more famous (I'd never heard of him til I took up the sax)

dorono

As far as what's *possible* - I'd say:
* Michael Brecker for his versatility within the realm of modern music
* Roland Rahsaan Kirk for being able to play multiple instruments simultaneously
* Branford Marsalis for being able to play both jazz and classically music on an extraordinarily high level

Selmerfan

Its hard to narrow down to three, but i would hazzard a guess at these three:

*King Curtis - His virtuosity covers Jazz, soul and rock styles with such an ease. Also his control over the whole of the instrument, not just the lower registers is second to none. His solos are fresh and inventive and never "over-do-it" as i find some players do.
*Jean Marie Londeux - His classical style is fantastic, as is his teaching ability, his books are a must. Again his control of the whole instrument is fantastic
*Joshua Redman - His experimentation leads to the saxophones continuous evolution. He also posseses a great technical ability.

Chris

bestbutter

Trane, Ayler and Dick

Can I suggest, in no particular order:

John Coltrane, for a seamless journey from the gorgeous lyricism of Miles' 'Kind of Blue' group to the torrential later stuff;

Albert Ayler, for an even longer span of styles (how many other players combine 1960s New York squawking with 1920s New Orleans honking and make it work?);

Dunno about the third - there are so many - but as a fan of old I like that Dick Heckstall-Smith, bless him, was as equally at home with the bombast of Colosseum in an auditorium as a purer trio in a tiny Stoke Newington jazz club. Like Roland Kirk he could also blow two horns at once. But how?

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Dunno about the third - there are so many - but as a fan of old I like that Dick Heckstall-Smith, bless him, was as equally at home with the bombast of Colosseum in an auditorium as a purer trio in a tiny Stoke Newington jazz club. Like Roland Kirk he could also blow two horns at once. But how?
Most certainly- one of my heroes!

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom