support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Model of Amati Kraslice Tenor from 1986?

+ ...... Couf (after Keilwerth), Toptone, SML, Louis Robert ............... And a Lignatone (Amati instruments for export?)

Signatone & Lignatone were both Amati models rather than stencils. The couf saxes (Superba 1 and Superba 11 aka two) were I believe a Max Keilwerth designed / built horn.

Signatone & Lignatone were both Amati models rather than stencils. The couf saxes (Superba 1 and Superba 11 aka two) were I believe a Max Keilwerth designed / built horn.

I guess it would be prudent to state this - there are some who believe, and I offer no argument, that the Couf saxes were essentially identical to the Toneking Special and therefore would have been J. Keilwerth built. The Couf & Toneking Special's are highly regarded.

I think Lignatone was Amati-Denak export brand. Amaiti didn't sell saxes under thier own name during the 60's, 70's and early 80's. At least not here in Sweden . I read an article in "Sonic - Magazin für Holz- und Blechblasinstrument", July/August 2007 by Uwe Ladwig.
ulamati.JPG.

I think Lignatone was Amati-Denak export brand. Amaiti didn't sell saxes under thier own name during the 60's, 70's and early 80's. At least not here in Sweden . I read an article in "Sonic - Magazin für Holz- und Blechblasinstrument", July/August 2007 by Uwe Ladwig.
View attachment 12191.
Amati began producing horns in 1946 (I believe - after Keilwerth & Kohlert fled / moved to Germany) with the Amati logo and JK's "Best In The World" makers mark - attributed to the Keilwerth tooling, the Lignatone and Signatone may have been 'export models' but from my understanding they do not command the same respect as the Toneking / New King models. This was not due to the stencil status of these horns but upon build quality - my understanding. I could very possibly be wrong here but based upon what I have read / learned - this is the case. I have a 1951 built Amati Toneking alto and a 1952 Amati Toneking tenor (unrestored) - serial numbers confirmed by Amati.cz. A good friend has an Amati "Classic Deluxe" which Amati confirmed was built in 1972.

Just another note - Czechoslovakia was a country divided and in 1993 the country became the "Czech Republic" and "Slovakia" so before this time eg: 1993 Amati's should bear 'made in Czechoslovakia' and after this time they should not - just another means to date your horn.

Most of the old "Amati" built saxes here around are stencils. I worked extra in a musicshop in the from -75-82. We just sold LaFluer Powertone "Super Classic" (Boosey and Hawkes distributor) and Louis Robert "Classic" and "Super Classic" (I don't recall the distributors name) Amati and Lignatone saxes here around are often from the 50's or 60's. In -82 we strated to sell Jupiter saxes. Same price range as "Amati" but a modern construction and easiser to play.

Most of the old "Amati" built saxes here around are stencils. I worked extra in a musicshop in the from -75-82. We just sold LaFluer Powertone "Super Classic" (Boosey and Hawkes distributor) and Louis Robert "Classic" and "Super Classic" (I don't recall the distributors name) Amati and Lignatone saxes here around are often from the 50's or 60's. In -82 we strated to sell Jupiter saxes. Same price range as "Amati" but a modern construction and easiser to play.

How would you rate the Jupiters v Amati with regards to the tonal characteristics?

How would you rate the Jupiters v Amati with regards to the tonal characteristics?
"Bright and thin!" In same style as Yamaha 60 serie. A more modern saxophone voice compared to an Amati.

Sorry, I can’t help you with yours, but This is the logo from the earlier range, this is my baby, a 1960s ATS 21 (Amati Tenor Student)

Hi! I found a same model sax on $500 dollars and i'm interested on it. What can you tell me about it? :D

ATS = Amati Tenor Saxophone - they've adopted the same naming convention as Yamaha eg: YTS = Yamaha Tenor Sax. So an Amati Alto Saxophone would be AAS. The logo of your horn is pretty much the current logo in use. the 21 would denote the model. Amati do not currently have a model 21 in their catalogue. Contact Amati, send your sax serial number, ask for year of manufacture etc and eventually you'll get a response.

$500 has never been too much for a decent tenor or even half-decent. having said that - I've only seen one image and no description.

Is it ok to resurrect this thread?

I'm curious about the Amati alto I've just acquired. It doesn't have 'made in..' stamped anywhere and the serial number is either 57 or 5711. Engraving and neck is different to other Amatis I've owned or seen. Photo here:

Interesting, it looks different to the Amati saxes I've had as well. This one looks better quality. Is that rolled tone holes I can see? Some more pics would be a big help.

Back
Top Bottom