All profit supporting   special needs music

Saxophones Model of Amati Kraslice Tenor from 1986?

S

sophiesofa

Locality
Kent
Hello. I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me? I have an Amati tenor serial 179597. I emailed Amati with my serial number and they replied to say it was R.V. 1986 but didn't tell me the model bit (possibly my google translate wasn't up to scratch!). I can't work out how to attach photos but the AK has a crown on and there are some leaf engravings on the front with the keys being kind of pearl effect. That's probably an awful description! Anyone have any ideas? Thank you

S

sophiesofa

Locality
Kent
Just to add it doesn't list anything under the AK logo. The AK is fully engraved/filled in, not just an outline like on most.

nigeld

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
To add an image to a post, look at the grey toolbar just above where you type.
About halfway along there is a rectangular icon with a mountain in it. Click on this

thomsax

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
I think Amati made "Super Classic" and "Classic Deluxe" models back in 1986. Around 1990 they started to give thier saxes Yamaha influenced models number like ASS 62/63, AAS 62/32, ATS 62/32 and BTS 61/62 .... .

S

sophiesofa

Locality
Kent
IMG 4797
IMG 4781
IMG 4798

S

sophiesofa

Locality
Kent
Apologies, I didn't realise anyone had replied! Thanks so much. I've put the images up now.
Thanks Thomsax, i'll look up those particular models to see if any are exactly the same.

Taz

Taz

Busking Oracle
Locality
Rugby UK
Sorry, I can’t help you with yours, but This is the logo from the earlier range, this is my baby, a 1960s ATS 21 (Amati Tenor Student)

thomsax

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
Apologies, I didn't realise anyone had replied! Thanks so much. I've put the images up now.
Thanks Thomsax, i'll look up those particular models to see if any are exactly the same.

High F# and detachable body-bow. Amati had modern saxes in the pipeline. Toneholes inlines?

thomsax

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
ATS already in 1960. And Amati
Sorry, I can’t help you with yours, but This is the logo from the earlier range, this is my baby, a 1960s ATS 21 (Amati Tenor Student)

ATS already in 1960. And "Amati ®".

DavidUK

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
I've always avoided anything with that shape of bell key guard, but I can't recall why? Must have done some research way back which put me off them. :confused2:

Is there any "go to" web site which explains the history, stencils, good & bad models?

thomsax

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
I like Amati saxes. But still struggling with a bad reputation. I went a seller to have a look at a Vito tenor based on a YTS 21. 3300 kr for a damaged tenor !!! It was not playable. There was also a mint Louis Robert (Amati stencil based on the "Classic" model from the early 70's). I was playable from top to bottom. 2400 kr!. I was looking for a sax that was ready to pick up and play. Not a renovation object. The Louis Robert tenor is still for sale but the Vito is sold !!!!!! But I found a mint G4M tenor for 2000 kr so I got a cheap tenor. Better (so far) than the Louis Robert and of course the unplayable Vito junk.

Many in the saxophone world says that the Amati saxes are junk. When I ask why, it's just something they read on internet. Some guys have never owned or played an Amati sax.

There is a nice Amati ATS 73 for sale in Denmark. Same price as a used YTS 23 use to goes for.

Saxofon, Amati ATS73, Tenorsaxofon i virkelig god kvalite...

S

sophiesofa

Locality
Kent
Thought I’d let you know it’s a ATS 61. I emailed Amati again.

Thanks again for your help

Colin the Bear

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I thought those key guards were indicative of a Corton and B&H Lafleur. Where does Corton fit in with Amati? That case looks very Lafleur.

thomsax

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
An ATS -61 already in 1986. High F# and detachable body-bow + bell ocnd body brace with screws. I've learned something new.

DartmoorHedgehog

DartmoorHedgehog

Locality
Dartmoor, SW UK
I thought those key guards were indicative of a Corton and B&H Lafleur. Where does Corton fit in with Amati? That case looks very Lafleur.
I've got a Corton "Super" alto that I bought second hand in the mid-80s, so I assume it was made late 70s to early 80s. I've been told that those were made by Amati - the key guards are certainly that shape, but plain with no engraving.

Some pictures of mine on this thread

Last edited:
kevgermany

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Amati yes. Amati made a lot of stencils. Not sure about B&H, but they did buy a lot in, so could have been from Amati.

H

Hassles

Locality
Australia
I like Amati saxes. But still struggling with a bad reputation. I went a seller to have a look at a Vito tenor based on a YTS 21. 3300 kr for a damaged tenor !!! It was not playable. There was also a mint Louis Robert (Amati stencil based on the "Classic" model from the early 70's). I was playable from top to bottom. 2400 kr!. I was looking for a sax that was ready to pick up and play. Not a renovation object. The Louis Robert tenor is still for sale but the Vito is sold !!!!!! But I found a mint G4M tenor for 2000 kr so I got a cheap tenor. Better (so far) than the Louis Robert and of course the unplayable Vito junk.

Many in the saxophone world says that the Amati saxes are junk. When I ask why, it's just something they read on internet. Some guys have never owned or played an Amati sax.

There is a nice Amati ATS 73 for sale in Denmark. Same price as a used YTS 23 use to goes for.

Saxofon, Amati ATS73, Tenorsaxofon i virkelig god kvalite...

Vito saxes can be excellent. Yes both Yamaha stenciled them (yamaha saxes with Vito logo) and so did Yanagisawa. The Vito saxes made from French manufactured parts Beaugnier parts are excellent. There has been a steady increase in not only the interest but also the asking price for Vito Kenosha saxes. These were made from French parts and assembled in the city of Kenosa, Wisconsin, USA hence the name. Any Beaugnier made sax should be considered seriously.

Amati was born from the Original Keilwerth factory and all early Amati saxes were made on keilwerth tooling and carried the JK logo. This was from about 1946 when JK himself moved to Germany to start over. He did this because the post war Goverment essentially confiscated his factory (along with Kohlert who followed JK to Germany).

H

Hassles

Locality
Australia

Amati, like many manufactures, often made stencils and LaFleur was one such horn. The key guards are a dead-give-away that Amati made them. Amati make student saxes and professional saxes and are, in my opinion, much underrated. I would "love" a new Amati tenor. I have a restored 51 Toneking alto and an unrestored 52 Toneking tenor. I would suggest to anyone to play every Amati that crosses your path - when you find a good one let everyone know :)

H

Hassles

Locality
Australia
I've got a Corton "Super" alto that I bought second hand in the mid-80s, so I assume it was made late 70s to early 80s. I've been told that those were made by Amati - the key guards are certainly that shape, but plain with no engraving.

Some pictures of mine on this thread
yep - those keyguards are Amati and yes, Corton are Amati made stencils. Send your details (eg: serial number, model, colour ) to Amati and they'll confirm year of manufacture.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom