All profit supporting   special needs music

Saxophones Model of Amati Kraslice Tenor from 1986?

F

ferguscullen

Interesting, it looks different to the Amati saxes I've had as well. This one looks better quality. Is that rolled tone holes I can see? Some more pics would be a big help.
Thanks for your reply.

Yes it has rolled toneholes. From the feel of it and the tone it seems somewhere between a Classic Deluxe and a Super Classic. I could be totally wrong but I have a feeling it was a limited run between these two models or else at the end of the Super Classic model although the neck is more like the design of a Deluxe than a Super. There’s no ‘made in Czechoslovakia’ like I would have expected. Has real mother of Pearl key thingies (I think) and the large left hand pinky table like the other earlier models. I’ll post more pics this evening.

Colin the Bear

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
It looks sort of familiar but different. Nice though.

thomsax

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
The early Amati saxes had tolled toneholes (gebördelt). Often named "Toneking" and with the JKG stamp. Around 1955 Amati began to stamp thier saxes with "Made in Czeckoslvakai". A serial number 57 or 5700 is early and ended around #20000. The Classic modell came around 1955.

F

ferguscullen

The early Amati saxes had tolled toneholes (gebördelt). Often named "Toneking" and with the JKG stamp. Around 1955 Amati began to stamp thier saxes with "Made in Czeckoslvakai". A serial number 57 or 5700 is early and ended around #20000. The Classic modell came around 1955.
Thank you Thom. I have one of the Tonekings with rolled toneholes and JKG stamp. Lovely lovely big fat sound. I also had a Super Deluxe and a Classic but of which were stamped ‘made in Czechoslovakia’. Maybe this new one is from just before the Toneking era although my Toneking has a microtuner neck and is stamped ‘made in..’ All quite confusing.

thomsax

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
Thank you Thom. I have one of the Tonekings with rolled toneholes and JKG stamp. Lovely lovely big fat sound. I also had a Super Deluxe and a Classic but of which were stamped ‘made in Czechoslovakia’. Maybe this new one is from just before the Toneking era although my Toneking has a microtuner neck and is stamped ‘made in..’ All quite confusing.
The "Classic" model started around 1955 and ended c 1972. "Super Classic" and "Classic Deluxe" models started c 1972 to c 1990. Amati improved thier saxes over the years. The "Classic Deluxe" model had better details, materials and probably a better factory set-up. My first Amati tenor was a used "Louis Robert" (a Super Classic stencil) that I bought used in 1973. I also wanted to sound like my tenor heros; John Fogerty, Bobby Keys and Clarence Clemons. :) (EDIT: "The Classic Deluxe" reached the market later than 1972. I'm not sure but I think in the late 70's or early 80's.)

Last edited:
F

ferguscullen

Thanks Thom. I hope you were able to sound like your heros!

I didn’t get time to post more photos yesterday. I’ll do it today.

thomsax

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
Thanks Thom. I hope you were able to sound like your heros!

I didn’t get time to post more photos yesterday. I’ll do it today.
I did my best ..... but I'm still struggling. I'll always be a beginner. I started to "play" in the late 60's and 50+ years later I still playing the same music and doing mistakes. I'm thriving with "Rock & Roll Saxophone";). An ongoing and lifelong project.

F

ferguscullen

C54A40A4 970C 47BE BAD4 D2E7EE4BA1DD

Attachments

• FEB415F6-CBC9-4503-94F4-9619E5CC9350.jpeg
    FEB415F6-CBC9-4503-94F4-9619E5CC9350.jpeg
    241.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 13A7FB56-CB4B-43D9-BA9C-7E2FC5963A4A.jpeg
    13A7FB56-CB4B-43D9-BA9C-7E2FC5963A4A.jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 8
F

ferguscullen

Some more photos

Attachments

• 7AE61229-B5BF-4DCC-A5DB-4994F60BDFBC.jpeg
    7AE61229-B5BF-4DCC-A5DB-4994F60BDFBC.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 31978B4B-52B3-4255-8753-9D775280BD56.jpeg
    31978B4B-52B3-4255-8753-9D775280BD56.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 02EB5C88-C1DD-4D71-863D-67A81E0F0A00.jpeg
    02EB5C88-C1DD-4D71-863D-67A81E0F0A00.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 16
F

ferguscullen

I did my best ..... but I'm still struggling. I'll always be a beginner. I started to "play" in the late 60's and 50+ years later I still playing the same music and doing mistakes. I'm thriving with "Rock & Roll Saxophone";). An ongoing and lifelong project.
I think playing any instrument even if you’re really good is a lifelong path of improvement

Colin the Bear

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Blurred photos are just tantalising.;)

Colin the Bear

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Just in thread. They're very clear when clicked. :headscratch:

PigSquealer

PigSquealer

Connoisseur of applesauce
Café Supporter
Locality
Los Angeles
Is it ok to resurrect this thread?

YES ! It’s always better to add onto a existing thread of the same subject. This keeps the information in one place.

thomsax

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
On the other side the thread started as a .... .1986 Amati ..... and we are now talking about an early Amati from the first part of the 50's.

F

ferguscullen

On the other side the thread started as a .... .1986 Amati ..... and we are now talking about an early Amati from the first part of the 50's.
So I should have started a new thread then? I thought it was better to keep questions about Amati manufacture dates in one place rather than start something new. Sorry about that.

PigSquealer

PigSquealer

Connoisseur of applesauce
Café Supporter
Locality
Los Angeles
Personally I like threads that discuss the in‘s & outs of different years on one maker, in one place.
I see no reason to start another thread. But that’s just me.
SOTW is insane trying to research some horns.….a zillion threads with one or two questions and answers. Could/ should be in one place.

thomsax

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
So I should have started a new thread then? I thought it was better to keep questions about Amati manufacture dates in one place rather than start something new. Sorry about that.
No, for me it's ok. I know the difference between your Amati and a ATS from the 90's. But it can be confusing for a person that is searching information about Amati saxes.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom