• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophone beginners Messing about with the blues scale

Jay

Senior Member
Messages
1,304
Location
Northumberland
I spent all of the last two days practising the horrible runs in the Cossack Wedding Dance that we are playing at band. Horrible because they are fast and full of accidentals, as well as being in Eb. I got so I could play them, I was so pleased with myself. Band last night - he doubled the tempo - absolutely no chance, possibly ever, I don't think my fingers actually move that fast 😱

So, rather fed up I've spent so much precious practice time on something that didn't really get me anywhere :rolleyes:

I don't now have much to show for my next lesson (Mon). I was set the D blues scale (concert C?) to do some work on, which I have to say I'm enjoying.

Now I want to learn a couple of blues heads and then try inventing some very short solos. But despite everything I read saying 'loads of songs are based on the 12 bar blues progression' most of the ones I'm looking at aren't! Any ideas for songs with basic blues progression for now? Maybe quite famous stuff cos I don't know a lot of the jazz repertoire yet (I'm ok transposing if I know what key it's in and have a lead sheet.....)
 
Last edited:
Off the top of my head

Livery stable blues
Night train
Farewell blues
Stormy Monday
In the mood?

Blues of the month

Bert Weedons Guitar boogie

Stick 12 bar backing track and the concert key into youtube and there's loads of tracks. There's a rather good "African" one that's fun to play.

The thing with blues is you don't need a lead sheet, just wing it.
 
Off the top of my head

Livery stable blues
Night train
Farewell blues
Stormy Monday
In the mood?

Blues of the month

Bert Weedons Guitar boogie

Stick 12 bar backing track and the concert key into youtube and there's loads of tracks. There's a rather good "African" one that's fun to play.

The thing with blues is you don't need a lead sheet, just wing it.
Thank you, this is exactly what I needed. Will go youtube hunting too 🙂

I understand that most of you can 'just wing it' with the blues, but this is my very first attempt at such and I need the security of a 'tune' to begin with at least :blush:
 
Bags groove (concert F)
Now's the time (F)
Tenor madness (Bb)

for self harm, "Billie's Bounce" (F)

If you are really lazy, "C jam blues" (in C, of course)
 
I spent all of the last two days practising the horrible runs in the Cossack Wedding Dance that we are playing at band. Horrible because they are fast and full of accidentals, as well as being in Eb. I got so I could play them, I was so pleased with myself. Band last night - he doubled the tempo - absolutely no chance, possibly ever, I don't think my fingers actually move that fast 😱

So, rather fed up I've spent so much precious practice time on something that didn't really get me anywhere :rolleyes:

I don't now have much to show for my next lesson (Mon). I was set the D blues scale (concert C?) to do some work on, which I have to say I'm enjoying.

Now I want to learn a couple of blues heads and then try inventing some very short solos. But despite everything I read saying 'loads of songs are based on the 12 bar blues progression' most of the ones I'm looking at aren't! Any ideas for songs with basic blues progression for now? Maybe quite famous stuff cos I don't know a lot of the jazz repertoire yet (I'm ok transposing if I know what key it's in and have a lead sheet.....)
I can't help on the blues bit.....but keep practicing the band piece. Once your fingers truly have it sussed at a slower speed (and do it on their own, without you needing to read the music), use a metronome to up the speed gradually. And you'll be cracking it in band in no time.

Just because you didn't get it first time, doesn't mean you will never get it.
Focussed practice!
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,262
Messages
576,030
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom