• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophone beginners Messing about with the blues scale

Thank you for all the links :thumb:
I was a little dismayed to find that no one had mentioned Earl Bostic, King Curtis or Big Jay McNeely, so I thought you'd better hear some of the good stuff. Plus it's always a pleasure to listen to these great players...
I'm going to be listening to this playlist of Big Jay McNeely stuff all night - https://youtu.be/vjIE0Kogx3I?list=PL0ZPZMkYubhZfEJdkydjL_U7f9oaL_467
I almost regret selling my tenor
 
Keep going Jay, you'll be amazed how things improve if you practice regularly (and just importantly listen - sing them if you can) blues scales, patterns around those scales and licks etc.

Some of it can monotonous but once they're engrained it just 'comes out'. Your mind, ears and fingers seem to just 'connect'. Obviously this takes time and patience (and it's an ongoing process) but it amazes me how I practice things repeatedly, forget about them altogether and then it comes out at some point in the future creatively.

I am a hopeless keyboard player but I find it's also worth playing chords and experimenting with different notes. This can help hear what notes sound good over different chord qualities.
 
Keep going Jay, you'll be amazed how things improve if you practice regularly (and just importantly listen - sing them if you can) blues scales, patterns around those scales and licks etc.

Some of it can monotonous but once they're engrained it just 'comes out'. Your mind, ears and fingers seem to just 'connect'. Obviously this takes time and patience (and it's an ongoing process) but it amazes me how I practice things repeatedly, forget about them altogether and then it comes out at some point in the future creatively.

I am a hopeless keyboard player but I find it's also worth playing chords and experimenting with different notes. This can help hear what notes sound good over different chord qualities.
Thank you :thumb:
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,260
Messages
575,961
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom