All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Jazz Left Alone - A Tune a Day from Rhys for Saxophonists in Isolation

rhysonsax

Subscriber
Yesterday we had a tune written by Duke Ellington, so for Day 121 I have chosen a performance by him, here from the album "Money Jungle" which he recorded in 1962 with two great players from a later generation - Max Roach on drums and Charles Mingus on bass. They are playing "Caravan", co-written in 1936 by Ellington and Juan Tizol when he played with the Ellington Orchestra.

Interestingly, the fiery Mingus had depped in the Ellington orchestra in the 1953 and was fired after four days, following a fight with ..... Juan Tizol.

And here is an Ellington Orchestra performance of the same tune from 1952, with Juan Tizol on valve trombone. Look out for Ray Nance's violin too.

Rhys

Last edited:

rhysonsax

Subscriber
Just listened to this version a dozen times at least, love Joe Temperley’s playing and the voice of Candice Hoyes

I think you need to get a bass clarinet. Joe had such a rich and warm sound on all his instrument, particularly baritone and bass clarinet.

Rhys

rhysonsax

Subscriber
For Day 122 I have chosen a live recording from young Chilean tenor player Melissa Aldana. She has a huge sound and a stream of great ideas. You can certainly hear one of her influences in this live recording of "Sonny" - guess who.

Rhys

rhysonsax

Subscriber
A strange one for Day 123, because I don't know who it is playing ! I was looking for versions of Wayne Shorter's tune "Beauty and the Beast" and after wading through lots of Disney-related things I stumbled on this live recording by someone called "Joan Diaz", whom I thought was the singer, but actually seems to be the pianist.

Joan Diaz made an album in 2011 called "We Sing Wayne Shorter" and I guess that this live version is related to that. There is an amazing tenor solo by the mystery saxophonist who blows up a storm before the video is cut slightly short.

A little detective work has told me that the saxophonist is Gabriel Amargant and he seems to be based in Barcelona. Home - Gabriel Amargant

Rhys

rhysonsax

Subscriber
I've just heard the sad news that British-American jazz singer Annie Ross has died, just a few days short of her 90th birthday. She was best known for singing with the jazz vocal trio, Lambert, Hendricks and Ross but I have chosen this version of "Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea" from an album she made with Gerry Mulligan.

Rhys

rhysonsax

Subscriber
For Day 125 I have chosen Charlie Mingus' "Jelly Roll" from his great 1959 album "Mingus Ah Um". It sounds to be somewhere between a pastiche and a tribute to former jazz styles and has some fine solos.

I've just heard that I can have a socially-distanced visit to my mum in the garden of her care home next Monday, so that sounds like a suitable time to conclude my Lockdown tune-a-day series which started on my last visit.

Rhys

trimmy

One day i will...
Thanks for the great tunes and artists you’ve introduced me to over the last few months, and enjoy the visit to your mum (im sure you will)

Top Bottom