Jazz Left Alone - A Tune a Day from Rhys for Saxophonists in Isolation

A friend and I are trying to keep sane by sharing video clips along the theme of "a tune a day" and I will also share some of them on this thread I started yesterday.

The friend plays lovely tenor and I own a baritone, so I suggested we could work at something like this whilst we are alone in the hope of playing it together in a few months:

I was wondering about trying to transcribe this but I have no idea how to notate half the stuff they are doing !

Rhys

Last edited:
I just played this from a CD I bought by mistake and it really touched me.

A lovely song written by Mal Waldron which seems topical, I didn't realise that Archie Shepp could play alto like this.

Rhys
Its the same voice as when he plays Tenor, always wonderful! Thanks for posting.

Day three and unable to see my mum, whose care home has now closed to all visitors.

But here's a great tune by Theo Travis.

Rhys

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely idea Rhys, thank you :)

Day 4 and I think we all need some good time music. This is from the wonderful album "Side by Side" that Johnny Hodges made with Ben Webster, Roy Eldridge and Lawrence Brown and more. Duke Ellington features on some tracks but it's Billy Strayhorn on this:

Rhys

Last edited:
Day 6 - it's not going to be just tunes featuring the saxophone. Today's offering is this from jazz violinist Regina Carter doing a Thad Jones tune.

It does have a bass clarinet solo by James Carter where he does his carzy thing !

Rhys

@rhysonsax I want to personally thank you for introducing me to all of these great artists and recordings that I otherwise wouldn't have known about. That includes the wonderful version of "Sunny Side of the Street" by Bob Wilber and Kenny Davern we collaborated on to play and record the transcription.

@rhysonsax I want to personally thank you for introducing me to all of these great artists and recordings that I otherwise wouldn't have known about. That includes the wonderful version of "Sunny Side of the Street" by Bob Wilber and Kenny Davern we collaborated on to play and record the transcription.

Thanks @jbtsax for those kind words. By chance that recording we made together came up on my iTunes random play yesterday and I really enjoyed listening to the lovely clarinet part you recorded. That was great fun !

Rhys

Day 7 and again no saxophones. But instead some wonderful bass playing from NHOP making his double bass sing and also some fine guitar from Ulf Wakenius.

Rhys

Reactions: Sue
Day 8 and a piano trio from the wonderful Scottish pianist David Newton. Amazing drive on Stevie Wonder's song "I Wish".

Plenty to wish for at the moment, including getting back to attending live music.

Rhys

Day 9 and hoping to be able to video call my mum in her care home later today.

Today's tune is "Happy Go Lucky Local" by written by Duke Ellington and performed here in concert by the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra. Listen for all those great railway sound effects.

Who recognises the tune at about 4:42 ?

Rhys

Day 10 and it's time for a song from the great Jimmy Witherspoon. He recorded a superb album with Panama Francis and his Savoy Sultans and this is one of many that I could have chosen from it.

Rhys

Day 9 and hoping to be able to video call my mum in her care home later today.

Today's tune is "Happy Go Lucky Local" by written by Duke Ellington and performed here in concert by the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra. Listen for all those great railway sound effects.

Who recognises the tune at about 4:42 ?

Rhys
Re the tune at 4:42, Got it! Night Train is really fun (not least when it includes a honkin' tenor). Thanks for posting these.

Day 10 and here is Dexter Gordon at his magnificent best.

And if you would like to read what Dexter is playing, have a look at this transcription:

Rhys

Last edited: