All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Jazz Left Alone - A Tune a Day from Rhys for Saxophonists in Isolation

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

For day 93 I have chosen this recording by Jess Gillam of Michael Nyman's song "If", which he wrote for a Japanese anime film "Anne No Nikki" also known as "The Diary of Anne Frank".

The music is lovely, but a review of the film by Anime News Network's Justin Sevakis said "even a story as powerful as Anne Frank's cannot overcome truly odious filmmaking and weird directorial choices that just don't work" and that he couldn't "think of a worse way to experience the story than watching this film."

Maybe best to give the film a miss and just enjoy the music.

Rhys

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
That was great - I've never heard of Leo Parker before.

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

For Day 95 I have chosen a song recorded by Joshua Redman on his 1998 album "Timeless Tales for Changing Times". I saw him playing this one on the BBC TV programme "Later with Jools Holland" and it was fabulous - especially Redman's creativity and mastery of the instrument and also Brad Meldau's wonderful piano.

Some people say that there aren't any good "standard" songs being written these days. Redman's album mixed established standards by the likes of Cole Porter and Irving Berlin with newer songs by Dylan, Joni Mitchell and Stevie Wonder. This one is "How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore ?" which was written by Prince.

Rhys

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

On Day 96 let's have a piece by Chick Corea - it's "Armando's Rhumba" played here by Martin Fröst who is a wonderful clarinet player.

Rhys

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Day 97 and here is a driving "Night Train" featuring Jimmy Smith on Hammond organ and Wes Montgomery on guitar with an arrangement by Oliver Nelson.

Rhys

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Day 98 and slightly late for Father's Day, this is "One for Daddy-O" written by Nat Adderley and here performed by Cannonball and Miles Davis on Cannon's 1958 album "Something Else". A stellar band and amazing solos for Cannonball and Miles Davis.

I particularly like the remark at the end of the tune made by Miles with the tapes still rolling: "Is that what you wanted Alfred ?", who of course was Alfred Lion, co-founder of Blue Note records.

Rhys

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Day 99 calls for a dose of Be Bop and this is delivered by Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie and Thelonious Monk. It was recorded in 1950 with Curley Russell on bass and Buddy Rich on drums. The tune is "Mohawk" and I slightly prefer this alternate take (take #3) to the original release.

Just looking for a quick single to bring up the century tomorrow.

Rhys

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

That's a century up - first one ever in my long cricket career. Raises the bat to acknowledge the crowd and then settles down to carry on ....

The best song I could think of to "celebrate" the milestone is "100 Days, 100 Nights" by the late Sharon Jones. She had a great band called the Dap Kings, with an excellent 3-piece horn section. It sounds like a classic 1960s number, but was recorded in 2006 and released in 2007.

Rhys

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

The dawning of Day 101 means that it's time for "Tomorrow's World" written by John Dankworth as the theme for the BBC TV science programme and performed by the Dankworth big band.

Rhys

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Something a little different for Day 102. This is a look inside the Selmer factory near Paris and it's interesting to see how much of the manufacturing process still involves manual work by craftsmen. The incidental music is nice too.

I think you can see why prices for Selmer saxophones are now so high.

Rhys

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
I definitely wouldn't want the one being bashed on the left!

Pete Effamy

On Day 96 let's have a piece by Chick Corea - it's "Armando's Rhumba" played here by Martin Fröst who is a wonderful clarinet player.

Rhys
Corr, that's great Rhys. Fröst seems to have added a tickle of jazz flavour to his playing when really needed in this piece - hence getting my thumbs up in a big way, rather than a moan about imploring classical musicians to stay away from the wrong side of the tracks.

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Corr, that's great Rhys. Fröst seems to have added a tickle of jazz flavour to his playing when really needed in this piece - hence getting my thumbs up in a big way, rather than a moan about imploring classical musicians to stay away from the wrong side of the tracks.
Martin is a new name to me and he is featured in the latest issue of the CASS Magazine, where there is an article about him playing some Vivaldi pieces that have been specially adapted for him to play as a clarinet concerto on a boxwood clarinet made for him by Buffet.

What a player !

Rhys

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Feeling a bit melancholy on day 103 ? Then I've got just the thing for you with this ballad performance by the UK's David Newton (piano) and Alan Barnes (baritone) who play JJ Johnson's tune "Lament".

Alan's solo could be another candidate for me to transcribe - I have been doing quite a few baritone recordings recently.

Rhys

Pete Effamy

Martin is a new name to me and he is featured in the latest issue of the CASS Magazine, where there is an article about him playing some Vivaldi pieces that have been specially adapted for him to play as a clarinet concerto on a boxwood clarinet made for him by Buffet.

What a player !

Rhys
I think that Fröst has become one of those players that is incredibly special. He's an individual too, a great character who is part of changing the staid nature of classical music performance. It needs to evolve its "theatre" because it isn't a "show", but just a performance and if the concert goer is used to other genres of performance then it can seem quite odd when you sit down to watch an orchestral concert where some players are already on stage practising bits of the programme/warming up, and then everyone else gradually traipse onto the stage. I'm not sure what the answers are, as it's obviously very difficult when you might have 50 - 100 players on stage and a concert hall with no proscenium arch/curtain etc.

Great eclectic taste of music Rhys, right up my street.

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

On Day 104 I have chosen altoist Sonny Criss playing Horace Tapscott''s "Isle of Celia" from his 1975 album "Crisscraft". Sonny had a lovely bluesy tone on alto and soprano and should surely be better known.

Rhys

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Day 105 calls for a tune from the genius of the piano, Art Tatum. There are so many recordings which I could have chosen and this is "I Cover the Waterfront" played solo in 1953.

Rhys

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom