Tutorials

Jazz Left Alone - A Tune a Day from Rhys for Saxophonists in Isolation

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Day 11 and it's time for a message from Art Blakey. Possibly the finest line-up of the Jazz Messengers with Bobby Timmons, Lee Morgan and the great Benny Golson on tenor and also responsible for the arrangement of "Come Rain or Come Shine".

Rhys

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Day 12 and some virtuoso guitar playing from Antonio Forcione. I think I first heard this on BBC Radio 3's Jazz Record Requests and it blew my little mind. And when I later saw Antonio and his group in concert that re-blew what was left.

Rhys

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Day 13 and time for a dose of stride piano and vocals from Fats Waller.

It includes such classic lines as "Your pedal extremities are colossal, to me you look just like a fossil."

And a bonus to show that he was a real master of stride.

Rhys

Last edited:
OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Day 14 and a well-recorded live performance by Ahmad Jamal of his "greatest hit".

Rhys

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Day 16 and here's a tribute to Ray Charles from guitarist John Scofield. On the second number he's joined by Dr John and there's a tenor solo from David 'Fathead' Newman.

Rhys

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Day 17 and some excellent flute playing from Lew Tabackin who also plays really great tenor sax. When I saw him at the Bull's Head, Barnes in the late 80s (I think) he looked like a history professor and blew up a storm on both his instruments.

Rhys

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Day 18 and another piano performance. This is the lovely "Ode to Life" by Don Pullen.

Rhys

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

A treat for Day 19 of the isolation from Budd Johnson. Little remembered these days, Budd mainly played tenor sax but this is a fine performance of "Summertime" on soprano with Earl 'Fatha' Hines at the piano.

Rhys

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Day 20 and it's time to feature a trombonist. This is Bob Brookmeyer on valve trombone doing all sorts of great things on "On the Sunny Side of the Street" with Jimmy Rowles at the piano.

Rhys

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Day 21 (that's three weeks) and a treat for the eyes as well as the ears with this lovely film clip from "Jammin' the Blues", made in 1944 and featuring Lester Young, Buck Clayton, Illinois Jacquet, Jo Jones and others.

Love those fashions and the moody lighting !

Rhys

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
I like the bit where the sax player lights up a cigarette in the middle of the vocal solo!

I've seen photographs of Lester Young holding his saxophone and his head at a crazy angle, but I didn't realise that he actually played that way.

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

I like the bit where the sax player lights up a cigarette in the middle of the vocal solo!

I've seen photographs of Lester Young holding his saxophone and his head at a crazy angle, but I didn't realise that he actually played that way.
And how about playing your tenor solo with a cigarette between the first two fingers of your left hand ?

Rhys

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
And how about playing your tenor solo with a cigarette between the first two fingers of your left hand ?

Rhys
I suppose that is easier than having the cigarette in your mouth, and if you put it down then the bass player will steal it.

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

I suppose that is easier than having the cigarette in your mouth, and if you put it down then the bass player will steal it.
I have seen tenor players store their (lit) cigarette on the neck brace of a Conn 10M or in the key guard of the bell keys on a MkVI. Both looked extremely cool at the time, but wouldn't be allowed nowadays.

Rhys

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Day 22 and here is a lovely live version of "This Masquerade" by a stellar group including Esbjorn Svensson, Nils Lundgren, Michael Brecker and Pat Metheny. They play "This Masquerade" and as well as contributing superb solos they combine beautifully.

Rhys

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Day 23 and what could be more appropriate for Easter Day than "Oh, But On The Third Day" ?

This was used for a period as the theme tune for BBC Radio 3's Jazz Record Requests and the whole of the Wynton Marsalis band put on a great performance.

Happy Easter to all.

Rhys

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Day 24 and time for something from Thelonious Sphere Monk. This is his composition "Misterioso" which he recorded several times - this is the one with Milt Jackson on vibes.

Rhys

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
It's funny, I was just searching for this tune and you posted this. :w00t:

I just watched 'Thelonious Monk: Straight no chaser', the documentary and hearing this piece triggered something...

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

Day 25 and here's a duet from two of the UK's finest jazz musicians - Martin Taylor on guitar and Alan Barnes on clarinet. The whole of this album is excellent.

Rhys

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom