support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Last Night's Gig

Later, one of the owners was gunned down in the poolroom in back in broad daylight. My girlfriend was hiding behind the bar.
Don't drink and play!
@Veggie Dave forgive the digression, sorry.

My self imposed limit is 3 pints before the gig, but I'll usually stick to just 1 or 2. It's good for relaxation - in one of the bands I'm in, our pre gig tipple is often a beer to relax, followed by a red bull chaser to get pumped up. I depped in a concert band once where the Tuba player managed 8 pints between the afternoon rehearsal and the evening gig (averaged out at approx 1 pint per half hour!). He was doing a solo in the concert. He almost fell over a couple of times as he walked out to the front. We were all pretty worried, but he played absolutely flawlessly. I have noticed that brass players seem to put more away before a gig than wind or strings...

My old clarinet teacher at University told me I needed to loosen up more when I played, and suggested I drink a bit before my next lesson. I only had half an hour between my lecture and the early afternoon clarinet lesson, but managed, with some encouragement, to get through 2 pints and 2 double scotches at the student bar. I went into the lesson and she told me I stank of booze - I had to remind her of her instructions, she'd forgotten she'd suggested it. Can't remember if she thought it made me player any better, but I do remember having a nice nap afterwards.

@Veggie Dave i feel your pain. A few years ago I played at the Dublin Castle as part of the London international Ska festival, well you can emagine the state i was in after a 4 hour drive in the back of a van breathing everyone else’s drug smoke and without going into to much detail once on stage I didn’t know weather it was Christmas eve or whit Tuesday.

Lesson learned for me: I always took my own vehicle after that.

Beer on the other hand never bothered me and i always liked a big glass of water for when on stage.

Chalk it up to experience mate, put it behind you and move forward.

:D

Thankfully that's not been an issue up to now. To be honest I'm not sure I could play if I was stoned.

One thing that always amazed me I'd that most of the Greats, not all, in the 50s, played under influence and did a pretty good job. Can you imagine what they would have played like if they were clean/sober?

Those who managed to survive and break the bad habits said it didn't help them play better. Unfortunately, many young players thought it had a positive impact on their abilities and started using.

I've (almost) never smoked pot or the likes, but as I grow older, I'm considering it. But I have kids in their teens, so if I do it, I'll have to be discreet...

I'm not sure it'll help my playing abilities though! o_O

Maybe the odd beer gets downed on a gig (too many causes a disconnect between brain and fingers for me), but I'll definitely get through a pint of water in each of our two 1 hour sets in order to maintain hydration levels and avoid dry mouth syndrome.

I have found however that refreshment needs are very much aligned to the songs in the set list, so a gentle starting set including Sam & Dave and Dusty Springfield requires considerably less liquid intake than the final set which goes heavy on Tina Turner, Aretha Franklin and the like. I wonder if there isn't a chart somewhere that identifies the ratio of beer/liquid against each song??? "So tonight fellow band members, we'll be playing a 1 pint first set, followed by a 2 pint plus a double scotch second set" ;)

I still vaguely recall back in the 60's getting up on stage and we'd jam for a half hour or more on one theme?groove? in altered states of consciousness. While it was very enjoyable for us on stage and the audience seemed to be OK, I suspect to anyone who was not in a similar condition it probably got really boring after a few minutes.

I tend not to drink at all; or maybe during second set

Once when our band went for food before a gig, only beer materialised in the hour we waited for scran. Then we had to leave, hungry, to play

The gig was in a pub and I was beyond the point of restraint with three pints of beer in an empty stomach, so more foaming ale was quafffed

Rab, guitarist who was driving home and sober, was annoyed by the twiddly embellishments from pissed fiddle and pissed sax during his most treasured songs. I had a great time, as did the rest of the band

Listening back to recording Rab had a point...

I love my wine and whiskey. On a good day, I still forget lyrics and complete saxophone parts, so that's not why it's an important rule for me. I can't drink the day of or the day before a job because I want to maintain sufficient hydration. My vocal health is extremely important to me. Lifestyle was the cause of a three-month vocal loss, so I'm trying to be a good boy.

Sounds like my sort of band, What's their name?
Hi @Veggie Dave, the band is Soul Rites (www.soul-rites.com or www.facebook.com/groups/soulrites). Started as an idea during a pub conversation when I had only been playing the sax for a number of months and we've been running for over 10 years now. Great bunch of musicians/friends and great music (which I hope we do justice to!). We gig mainly in Surrey and South-West London so say hello if you are ever passing.

PS. Last night's gig was a 1 pint of water set followed by a 1 beer + 1 pint of water set :cool: