July 2015 BOTM First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

OP
Jeanette

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
@jbtsax thank you so much for that response, it is both encouraging and useful. I do find my embouchure tightening as I get tired and also the more I concentrate on counting (another weak point).

I need to relax more :)

The advice to play long tones for as long as the song is really useful, I hope I remember to do that.

Jx

Rob Pealing

sax in a kayak (apprentice sax tamer)
Subscriber
Locality
Greenfield, Nova Scotia, Canada
Well a promise is a promise so here is my version.

https://soundcloud.com/jeanette-7%2Fthe-first-time-ever-i-saw-your-faceev-20150731

It is starting to make me cry for all the wrong reasons. The more I try and improve the worse it is getting. I have started producing a squeak I've never had before on sop so time to call it a day on this one, apologies, it is too sharp , not totally in time but a line in the sand can now be drawn. :)

I'm going to wash the other love in my life.......(Mx)

Jx
I really enjoyed listening to you, all three times.

DavidG

Locality
In the hills just out of Perth, Western Australia
Nicely played...
I remember one (of many) great pieces of advice from @jbtsax to 'blow through' the note, which you appear to do very well!
PS: I listened to it twice before commenting...now going back for my third.
:)

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Locality
manchester
@jbtsax thank you so much for that response, it is both encouraging and useful. I do find my embouchure tightening as I get tired and also the more I concentrate on counting (another weak point).

I need to relax more :)

The advice to play long tones for as long as the song is really useful, I hope I remember to do that.

Jx
Do you think you will be able to hold a single note that long, and yes I thought your first effort was very good indeed and far better than mine >:)

Al1

Locality
Marly le Roi (France)
Well a promise is a promise so here is my version.

https://soundcloud.com/jeanette-7%2Fthe-first-time-ever-i-saw-your-faceev-20150731

It is starting to make me cry for all the wrong reasons. The more I try and improve the worse it is getting. I have started producing a squeak I've never had before on sop so time to call it a day on this one, apologies, it is too sharp , not totally in time but a line in the sand can now be drawn. :)

I'm going to wash the other love in my life.......(Mx)

Jx
Moment envoutant ......
Merci @Jeanette
;)

OP
Jeanette

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Moment envoutant ......
Merci @Jeanette
;)
I had to look that up, thank you :)

Or did it make you feel like my husband.... his comments whilst I have been practising this were "I feel like I am in Guantanamo Bay" or when I pick the sax up "hang on I'll get my Orange suit."

Not exactly confidence building even if said in semi jest...........

Jx

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Locality
Just north of Munich

Or did it make you feel like my husband.... his comments whilst I have been practising this were "I feel like I am in Guantanamo Bay" or when I pick the sax up "hang on I'll get my Orange suit."

Jx
Sad. He should be supporting you! Jokes like that don't help.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Locality
manchester

Jx
At least he doesn't go around slamming doors like my missus it's really encouraging

Rob Pealing

Subscriber
Locality
https://soundcloud.com/jeanette-7%2Ffirst-ever-duet
I hope you like this, I though it might be nice to mix a little tenor with sop and persuaded @Chris to play with me.

Poor Chris had the harder part following my timing and pulling it together, I think he did a pretty good job :)

Jx
Enjoyed listening. I think putting soprano and tenor together worked nicely. ( I can see a new thread developing "Duet of the Month" . Though with players living so far apart that would be difficult)

OP
Jeanette

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Enjoyed listening. I think putting soprano and tenor together worked nicely. ( I can see a new thread developing "Duet of the Month" . Though with players living so far apart that would be difficult)
We didn't even meet up, technology is wonderful :)

Jx

Rob Pealing

Subscriber
Locality
We didn't even meet up, technology is wonderful :)

Jx
Interesting. Please explain how you did it.
(After thought: Does that mean it is not really a duet but a computer compilation?)

OP
Jeanette

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Interesting. Please explain how you did it.
(After thought: Does that mean it is not really a duet but a computer compilation?)
I recorded my parts into audacity whilst listening to the backing track. Sent it to Chris who I am assuming did the same but listened to mine as well as the BT. I assume he then saved all three tracks as one and voilà.

Good question re is it a duet, I think I would say it is but can see why some may disagree :)

Jx

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
There's two horns. It's a duet. This sort of thing has been going on for decades. It's just easier now. Sending cassettes through the post was a hassle.

Rob Pealing

Subscriber
Locality
I recorded my parts into audacity whilst listening to the backing track. Sent it to Chris who I am assuming did the same but listened to mine as well as the BT. I assume he then saved all three tracks as one and voilà.

Good question re is it a duet, I think I would say it is but can see why some may disagree :)

Jx
I suspect this is quite difficult to do, you must have had to count the bars very carefully to allow time for Chris to play his part and presumably had to arrange before hand when you would each play. I suspect it is more difficult than being in the same room where you can nod and make eye contact to help synchronize the recording. I am interested to know more.
On reflection I think I agree with Colin, it is a duet.

trimmy

One day i will...
Locality
Liverpool ( Pool of Life )
There's two horns. It's a duet. This sort of thing has been going on for decades. It's just easier now. Sending cassettes through the post was a hassle.
Nancy & Frank, Natalie & Nat to name but a few

OP
Jeanette

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
@Rob Pealing Chris had the hardest part. No discussion re parts to play. Chris originally sent me a recording using a different set of dots and bt but I was so used to playing my version and it would have been a week before I got my head round it so I sent him back my recording with the BT he did for me a while ago.

I just had a think about where the solos might work and played the appropriate bits suggesting where we play together. Playing your solos is OK if you count the bars. Playing together is harder unless you are both good at playing accurately, my timing has come on in leaps and bounds but still a long way to go so Chris did well following me.

It possibly would have been easier in the same room and probably more fun. Chris isn't that far from me so maybe next time we can try that if my hubby and dog can be persuaded. :)

Jx

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom
test6