support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Jan 2015 Ballad of the Month "I Remember Clifford"

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
I have "volunteered" to choose the first ballad for 2015 and it is a great tune by Benny Golson - "I Remember Clifford". He composed it in tribute to trumpeter Clifford Brown and it has a strong melody with some tricky places.

Chris has very kindly produced lead sheets and a couple of different backing tracks, all of which are available here: https://app.box.com/s/s0xk77nn2nbs9sibsfwl

The backing tracks have an intro, twice through the form and then a final outro. Chris has also provided a track of a sampled trumpet playing the melody which people could use in whole or in part to play with if they have experience with recording software that lets them use multiple tracks. For me, the robot trumpet player doesn't quite have the right feel or sound for this ballad, but you could use it to trade fours, to share the melody or anything else.

Here are some lovely versions of "I Remember Clifford" to inspire you:

Backing tracks for "I Remember Clifford" are also available from Aebersold Vol. 14 or Hal Leonard Vol. 55.

Looking forward to the versions that Café Saxophone members produce in 2015.

Rhys

:). Hope you'll find time for another version or two :) Be nice to listen to how things have altered if at all over the last 2.5 yrs..:)

All the best

Chris..

Last edited:
...and I was so looking forward to 2015.... :w00t:

Moose recording expected some time after the summer

EDIT: Having the trumpet solo at least gives me an idea what the tune sounds like. Great idea, looks like fun.

Last edited:
Hope you'll find time for another version or two :) Be nice to listen to how things have altered if at all over the last 2.5 yrs.Chris..

3.5 years! ;) I like this tune and hope to do another version here just need to get over this flu that after a week has now settled in my bronchial tubes and seems content to stay there, cough,cough,cough..guess I should have got the shot after all!

@AlanT Chris is right it will be interesting to hear a new recording of that :) I've just listened to your Christmas song and there is a difference in tone.

@Chris lovely, you have such a laid back soothing sound :)

Jx

did this last night (you can tell I have no life!) Used almost no reverb as suggested.
https://soundcloud.com/bflateflat/i-remember-clifford-3

I like that. Sounds better to me. I think this song is going to be over my skill level though. I wasn't able to follow the changes in "My Ship" which is why I didn't post a take. I think I'll have the same trouble on this one as well.

Last edited:
Just one day into the month and there have already been some great contributions.

@AlanT - lovely sound and a real feel for the tune

@Chris - well recorded and well played. You have a better feel for the mood than that robot trumpet player !

@bflateflat - first version really nice, maybe the sax could come up a bit in the mix ? Improvisation works well and the tone is fine. Second version good tone again and a slightly better mix for me. You play really well and sound good at this slow tempo that lots of people find difficult. I'm trying to think which tenor player your recordings remind me of - who do you listen to ?

And everyone has such good intonation.

I am looking forward to more recordings.

Rhys

Trumpet and tenor in octaves is one of my favorite voicings. Your tuning is excellent. Nice embellishments to the melody as well.

Thanks John, once I thought about using that 'robot' trumpet player to quote Rhys. My tuning was always going to be interesting, made me listen a little more which is always good. Ever since I first heard this tune I always thought the melody was a strong one so I'm glad embellishment rather than full on improvisation seemed to work..

@rhysonsax thanks for the comments Rhys, sometimes it's hard to get the PC to 'feel' the tune. It is possible I suppose but the midi editing would take for ever..

Chris..

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom