• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophone beginners is it just practice

lol i just realised (newbie excuse) I was playing mid b to low Bb dont think getting to the b is going to be much easier tho tbf.. practice it is... BT
20201114_102110.webp
W big respect to you all i do know its years of practice...
 
If you are talking about the low B in the second bar, then there is a rest before it and you should have time to finger it. So I would say that this is indeed just practice (e.g. practice B octave jumps up and down until they are easier). There is no alternative fingering that I know of for low B. If necessary, you could cut the first B a bit short.

But if it's a big problem, then you can just play the low B an octave up.
 
Morning Eddie :
Firstly STOP writing the notes above !! I know it helps but you will never learn that way . As to the low note it's a tough discipline in that it's barely there but you just have to crack it out . I wouldn't worry about it too much but at the same time don't avoid it . There has been a few mentions lately about playing an octave above for various reasons : not good . Your practice should include getting these low notes cleanly so yeah dont stress on it as it will happen in good time . Good luck man...
 
There is just the one fingering
I guess you could play low-B overtone. (Alternative fingring for mid B), low-B fundamental.
But it wouldn't help in the above because guide still have to jump from G down to B and hit the overtone on the nose!

I will try it next time I practice, but an answer to this might be to work out how much of the lower stack you can finger while playing G to (mid) B... Quite a lot of Clarinet playing across the break uses that kind of manoeuvre (closing keys which don't stuff the sound to badly)
 
i hope practice then huh.. sorry to ask such daft questions but; ahem...while i am, i would like to try fairytale of new york (all the classics huh) its originally in c major i transposed it to d major which still doent work do I just keep moving up to keep it close to the original i.e another 1 step to eb major
 
Morning Eddie :
Firstly STOP writing the notes above !! I know it helps but you will never learn that way . As to the low note it's a tough discipline in that it's barely there but you just have to crack it out . I wouldn't worry about it too much but at the same time don't avoid it . There has been a few mentions lately about playing an octave above for various reasons : not good . Your practice should include getting these low notes cleanly so yeah dont stress on it as it will happen in good time . Good luck man...
Thanks Adrian63, I write the notes because i cant see them to play lol.... lifes a b.... wish i had learnt to play years ago... I only play for fun even though it drives me insane and believe it or not writting the notes above helps in loads of ways..practice reading and with the words helps me to work out how the music flows note lengths etc... honestly for me to be able to read it (see it) music sheets would have to be twice the size.. glasses are no good i'm short sighted... I'd be able to have lazer treatment if i hadnt taken up this darn hobby..PMSL
 
I don't think it was a daft question - and I suppose the point of a begginer forum is so that folks like us can ask questions
Thanks Mizmar.. I get a bit embarrassed were lucky enough to have access to some fantastic players here and a wealth of experience.. Great people 😎 there are not many in the world who want to share knowledge its a wonderful priceless thing and makes this a great place...
 
Just to add. Low B and Bb on alto are typically quite stable (tenor is more problematic by all accounts). If these notes are not easy for you (your profile says alto), sure long tones etc. But it could also be a leak in a pad or so and a tec visit might be required.
 
ooh i will have to change that profile.. been of the alto for about 2 years now.. since picking up the tenor i dont play it...tbf i dont think its the sax had Dawkes (more great people) set it up... its me.. its great when awkward bits are in songs... more determination required...
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,260
Messages
575,961
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom