• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophone beginners is it just practice

Writing the notes out with letters isn't such a bad idea when starting out. There comes a point with enough repetition that it becomes redundant.
I still have to count some ledger lines.

The bell notes are very dependent on good regulation and some saxophones are more ergonomic than others. Embouchure, oral cavity and breath control all play their part too.
It will come with practice but perhaps when starting out it may be more fun to play pieces from a chart specifically for saxophone.
I seem to remember using large print sheets. They may still be available.
 
I will try it next time I practice, but an answer to this might be to work out how much of the lower stack you can finger while playing G to (mid) B... Quite a lot of Clarinet playing across the break uses that kind of manoeuvre (closing keys which don't stuff the sound to badly)
So, I tried. Doesn't really work. You can close the low B & C spatulas while playing middle B and that's all. Maybe it makes moving to low B a little smoother? Fewer holes to close all at once.
 
Are you working with an instructor? I didn't really improve much at all until I found one. One can work on one's own on a piece and think that it's right. Just when it sounds right to you, an experienced teacher hears you play it and that is when you find out how many things you are doing wrong. Our director stresses the fundamentals so that when a triplet or dotted half notes, etc. is encountered, it makes it much easier to play about anything that is thrown at you.
I have a long way to go myself, but this is what I have learned in the past year. Best wishes and keep us posted!
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,260
Messages
575,937
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom