support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Sax Is a Mouth piece a good upgrade over a generic one ?

Ive just seen the pictures that you link to in your opening post.

Be careful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ive linked to what a SELMER s80 mouthpiece should look like and should be written on it.

Selmer S80 Alto Sax Mouthpiece:Amazon.co.uk:Musical Instruments

the writing on "your " one doesnt seem to be the same. (picture 4 )

your one has C * on the table. im not familiar with that. it is normally on the top.

BE CAREFUL !!!!!!!!

Older Selmer pieces had the tip size on the table and are pretty valuable. Not sure if this is genuine, wish I could see more of the original engraving.

Older Selmer pieces had the tip size on the table and are pretty valuable. Not sure if this is genuine, wish I could see more of the original engraving.

yes, they did have writing on the table. But they also had some kind of scroll shank or a metal band. The plain shank versions ie S80 didnt have writing on the table,..... i dont think.

this pictured one linked to in the first post, doesnt look vintage to me.

be careful before buying this.

Some more info. Selmer LT is the Larry Teal model of Soloist. History is that Selmer changed from a round throat to a horseshoe shape. Larry objected, ssid it didn't sound the same, and Selmer reintroduced the round throat alongside the horseshoe, but with LT stamped on the table. Assuming condition is good, for the price, it's a bargain.

I've looked more at the S80. Pity we can't see the engraving, or the throat. However it does appear to have the remains of Made in France in the right place. Shape looks right, but elongated, as if the pics were resized badly. I've not seen pics of one with C* stamped on the table, and table stampings usually have the size in an oval, or Selmer also engraved there. My gut feel is that it's genuine early model, well worn, possibly worth the price. But as Brian says, check/be careful.

Check the Yamaha for more info. There are two models of 4C, a cheap plastic one, which is a good mouthpiece, available new for about 25 pounds. And the custom, made in hard rubber also a good mouthpiece. The price you quote is far too high for the plastic model. Possibly too high for the hard rubber one, they're not over popular in hard rubber.

selmer1.jpgselmer2.jpgselmer3.jpgselmer4.jpg

Ive just seen the pictures that you link to in your opening post.

Be careful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ive linked to what a SELMER s80 mouthpiece should look like and should be written on it.

Selmer S80 Alto Sax Mouthpiece:Amazon.co.uk:Musical Instruments

the writing on "your " one doesnt seem to be the same. (picture 4 )

your one has C * on the table. im not familiar with that. it is normally on the top.

BE CAREFUL !!!!!!!!

I have a modern (2 years old) selmer S-80 C* baritone mouthpiece which has C* written on the table.
And the writing is the same as on the OP’s picture.
So we should not assume that an S-80 has to look like the Amazon one.

The Selmer looks genuine enough to me. Mine is marked C"" on the table.

With the new pics we can be pretty sure the S80 is genuine.

IMO the Rousseau is a great mouthpiece, best one out of those but may not be the best for you. Only you can determine what works well and what is an improvement over your current mouthpiece. If you are not yet ready to determine that from test playing, then it is probably too soon to upgrade

Well, ive learnt something new today, as I have never seen this version of S80 with the lay stamped on the table before.
Ive just checked and some British sax shops are selling it now
My interest is only in vintage ones, so Im out of touch with modern versions, from the S80 onward. apologies for any confusion caused.

To the opening poster. Im a little confused now..

The pictures you link to in your initial post dont seem to be the same mouthpiece as your later pictures. (posts 25 and 26)
The 2nd one has damage to the side rails , which the other doesnt have.

if the seller is a stranger to you, simply selling via facebook, I still feel you need to be very careful. You do not want the 2nd one !!!!

There is a little confusion about vintage selmers. I have a small collection, and when I can get around to it, I will take some pictures tracing the various versions, and showing the table stampings.

I have had 3 selmer S80 C* for alto and all 3 look different. I also have 2 for Baritone.

The most frustrating thing (for me) is that the "Selmer" word and logo have worn off completely on one of mine - there is little physical proof that it ever was a Selmer (if you are a Selmer expert you would know, I guess)

BE CAREFUL !!!!!!!

I may be old fashioned, but since when is facebook a shopping website. I know of eBay and a few others that are more local, but Facebook! :confused:

Then, when I read 40000$ for a mouthpiece, I think it's just a BIG scam!

And I move on.

Salut!

I may be old fashioned, but since when is facebook a shopping website. I know of eBay and a few others that are more local, but Facebook! :confused:

Then, when I read 40000$ for a mouthpiece, I think it's just a BIG scam!

And I move on.

Salut!

Im not sure how your post relates to my warning. could you clarify what you mean?

Im not sure how your post relates to my warning. could you clarify what you mean?

Simply that when I read 40000$ for a mouthpiece, I have warning bells ringing load and clear, shouting "KEEP OUT!". That's all. :oops:

thanks.

There are so many scammers now on both sides of the equation, thats its very difficult to do anything.

Ebay used to be great. But is now so unsafe, I feel.
And even more unsafe now because of Ebay policy of not allowing contact.
I was banned recently for asking to go to assess a saxophone which had next to no info in the description.
So, both the seller and I missed out.

Cash on delivery/collection seems to be the only safe way. (aside from trusted forum members , obviously :):).

i should clarify that those $40.000 are in chilean currency (roughly $1000 = 1 sterling pound)
Thanks for all the help guys!