All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

M/Pieces - Ligs Recommendations for sax mouth piece.

SPENCERA

;} I recently made a visit to our local music shop and bought the only and last tenor saxophone mouth piece. Its a Belmonte and seems to be a little shorter than the mouthpiece I had on the sax I am playing, also the new mouthpiece opening where the reed fits seems to be a little longer and a little smaller in width. I seem to be getting a lot of high pitch sounds and not good sounds either with this new mouthpiece. This new mouthpiece was cheap and is a student mouthpiece, Im not in any way saying my new mouthpiece is causing all of my problems because I am a beginer but seem to be able to make better sounds with the old mouthpiece. The old mouthpiece came with the saxophone when I bought it, I cleaned it very well but it has lots of scares and age wear on it. I am a beginer just starting out and would like to purchase a tenor sax mouthpiece in the money range of $25.00 to $40.00 dollars. could anyone recommend a mouthpiece that may be good for me, and also a brand reed & size. Thanks, Spencer

Andante cantabile

Yamaha mouthpieces are in that price range. Lots of people start with a 4C, but we are not all the same. Similarly, Rico orange reeds are often used by beginners (and more professionals than one might suspect). I think they are inexpensive and of consistently good quality. A 2 or a 2.5 probably would be about right. Brace yourself for lots of other suggestions.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Yes, you could also try a ....

No, I'll leave it to Tom M. He does it so well!

johnboy

Yes, you could also try a ....

No, I'll leave it to Tom M. He does it so well!
I can't comment either, otherwise Tom will accuse me of all sorts of things, like being sponsored by a certain company.
I think I'm right in saying, that Kev thinks the same as Tom and me, but a B5 would be our recommendation.
Ooops! I've said too much. NOW I'M FOR IT :shocked:

John.

TomMapfumo

I was hoping for a lie in this morning - but here goes. As a beginner you would probably need a mouthpiece with a tip opening that is not too large - though it does take a bit of trial and error to get it right.

Three of the best mouthpieces in your price range are made by:

1. Rico Royal Graftonite - in 3 tip openings 3, 5 & 7 (0.085", 0.095" and 0.105"). Also they come in 3 chamber sizes. A - Darker sound, B - Moderately bright & C - Bright. As the others said the B5 is probably the best choice at this stage for you. They cast less than $20 and are available on ;lots of online sites, such as www.saxplus.com ($17.99).

2. Yamaha Plastic. Available in tip openings from 4C, 5C, 6C & 7C. tThe 4C is a common starter size, but at 0.067" it is better for young students. 5C and 6C are better sizes for folks over 21. www.amazon.com currently sell the 6C for just under $30.

3. Runyon 22/Morgan Protone - The same mouthpiece. Charlie Parker famously played one on his alto and they are still available today. A 7 or 8 tip opening would probably be best (0.090" & 0.095" respectively) and they are available for similar prices to the Yamaha. Their RRP is $44 but can be purchased for cheaper online.

I would go with a Rico 5 at this stage and recommend the B5. If you want a warmer sound do go for the A5, and for a more lively piece go for a C5.

Reedwise, it is common to start on a 2 strength reed - commonly a Rico Royal. Some reeds are harder than others, even if they have the same number. I personally would also recommend the Rico Jazz Select 2S as a starting point. Vandoren reeds can be a bit harder so I'd encourage you to start softer. You will also benefit from a decent ligature - a basic rico ligature would be good to get. Just do not overtighten as it can affect the sound and playability of the reed.

There is lots of advice about how to prepare and manage reeds. The main thing is to moisten them before playing (not with saliva which can damage the reed) and have a few in use so that you can rotate them. Lots of folks will have 4 at a time in use so that each reed has a chance to recover through rotation.
They last much longer that way. Do a google search on how to prepare reeds - very useful.

Can I go back to bed now..........................;}

johnboy

I was hoping for a lie in this morning - but here goes. As a beginner you would probably need a mouthpiece with a tip opening that is not too large - though it does take a bit of trial and error to get it right.

Three of the best mouthpieces in your price range are made by:

1. Rico Royal Graftonite - in 3 tip openings 3, 5 & 7 (0.085", 0.095" and 0.105"). Also they come in 3 chamber sizes. A - Darker sound, B - Moderately bright & C - Bright. As the others said the B5 is probably the best choice at this stage for you. They cast less than $20 and are available on ;lots of online sites, such as www.saxplus.com ($17.99).

2. Yamaha Plastic. Available in tip openings from 4C, 5C, 6C & 7C. tThe 4C is a common starter size, but at 0.067" it is better for young students. 5C and 6C are better sizes for folks over 21. www.amazon.com currently sell the 6C for just under $30.

3. Runyon 22/Morgan Protone - The same mouthpiece. Charlie Parker famously played one on his alto and they are still available today. A 7 or 8 tip opening would probably be best (0.090" & 0.095" respectively) and they are available for similar prices to the Yamaha. Their RRP is $44 but can be purchased for cheaper online.

I would go with a Rico 5 at this stage and recommend the B5. If you want a warmer sound do go for the A5, and for a more lively piece go for a C5.

Reedwise, it is common to start on a 2 strength reed - commonly a Rico Royal. Some reeds are harder than others, even if they have the same number. I personally would also recommend the Rico Jazz Select 2S as a starting point. Vandoren reeds can be a bit harder so I'd encourage you to start softer. You will also benefit from a decent ligature - a basic rico ligature would be good to get. Just do not overtighten as it can affect the sound and playability of the reed.

There is lots of advice about how to prepare and manage reeds. The main thing is to moisten them before playing (not with saliva which can damage the reed) and have a few in use so that you can rotate them. Lots of folks will have 4 at a time in use so that each reed has a chance to recover through rotation.
They last much longer that way. Do a google search on how to prepare reeds - very useful.

Can I go back to bed now..........................;}
No! get up and do your paper round!!!
This is my opinion on the Rico 'A' & 'B' models (I have both), I find the 'A' sounds dull in comparison with the 'B', which sounds more exciting/lively.

John.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnboy

So avoid the A chamber! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Poisonally, yes!
My 'A' goes everywhere in the case as a backup to the Selmer, which is a backup to the Berg, whigh is a backup to the 'B', which is a backup to - I bet you can't guess? - but then why should you bother. I bet Compound knows!

John (Iv'e always been mad).

MartinL

Johnboy I'm sure somewhere in your case is a Yamaha 4C with a flat file and a small router for adjustment LOL

johnboy

Johnboy I'm sure somewhere in your case is a Yamaha 4C with a flat file and a small router for adjustment LOL
Hi Martin,
I'm afraid that a Yamaha m'piece hasn't come my way. If one does, and I don't like it, I'll have a go at butchering, it just for you >:)
Perhaps someone would like to donate a book on m'pice design, to the cause - 'Forum Wind Up' >:)
Sorry, I mean 'Forum Discussion' :thumb:

John;}

Last edited by a moderator:

compound

Poisonally, yes!
My 'A' goes everywhere in the case as a backup to the Selmer, which is a backup to the Berg, whigh is a backup to the 'B', which is a backup to - I bet you can't guess? - but then why should you bother. I bet Compound knows!

John (Iv'e always been mad).
I sure do. >:)
Rob.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom