All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Beginner Sax Is a Mouth piece a good upgrade over a generic one ?

GranitoMan

Is one of the following mouthpieces a good upgradefrom the generic one i got with a Selmer Bundy Alto?
Im fairly a beginner at this stage (just one month learning) so i dont want to waste money, and i wonder if buying a book (im already taking classes) will be a better investment than a new mouthpiece.
Anyway i can get any of the following for about the same price, so i d woul greatly appreciate your advice
alto Mouthpiece Selmer Paris S80 C* with Rovner Ligature
Alto Mouthpiece Eugene Rousseau 4R
Alto mouthpiece Selmer LT
Alto Mouthpiece Yamaha 4C

Mark

Is one of the following mouthpieces a good upgradefrom the generic one i got with a Selmer Bundy Alto?
Im fairly a beginner at this stage (just one month learning) so i dont want to waste money, and i wonder if buying a book (im already taking classes) will be a better investment than a new mouthpiece.
Anyway i can get any of the following for about the same price, so i d woul greatly appreciate your advice
alto Mouthpiece Selmer Paris S80 C* with Rovner Ligature
Alto Mouthpiece Eugene Rousseau 4R
Alto mouthpiece Selmer LT
Alto Mouthpiece Yamaha 4C

The Selmer S80 is a good all rounder and IMHO is straightforward to play and sounds good (except quite often for my part in the sound production). I have been playing for 3 years and got one after 6 months on the recommendation of my teacher. About 6 months ago I went up to a C**. These Selmers are not cheap but I have given other types of mouthpieces a try but always returned to the Selmer and now am not tempted to look at anything else.

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
The Yamaha 4C is a good and relatively cheap mouthpiece for a beginner.
The Selmer S80 C* is also good for a beginner (and more, I still play one after 9 years) but much more expensive (maybe 3-4 times the price)
Are you able to go to a local store with your sax & current mouthpiece and try a few?

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Café Supporter
I have Yamaha 4C, Selmer S-80 C*, and Rousseau NC4 mouthpieces, and my order of preference is Rousseau, then Selmer S-80, then Yamaha.
I much prefer the Rousseau and the Selmer to the Yamaha, but they cost a lot more if one buys them new,
I don’t know what a Selmer LT is, so I can’t comment on that.
But any of those would be fine, and probably a lot nicer than a generic Chinese mouthpiece.

Last edited:

brianr

After just 1 month of playing, a better mouthpiece would be a MUCH better investment than another book. dont get caught up in the
mistaken idea that books make you better. as you have a teacher, you are already doing the correct stuff. Do more of it!
try to impress your teacher every lesson, by being perfect on what you are working on.

Yes, another mouthpiece would be much to your advantage, compared to your current one.

i would suggest a Yamaha 4c. it is perfect for your needs and not expensive. it will serve you well until you develop a bit and then depending on what you music taste and tonal concept is, then decide on an even better mouthpiece.
That may well be a Selmer c star, depending on your direction.
Dont get pulled in to the constant changing of mouthpieces idea. Sticking to one mouthpiece only, for a considerable time, is the best way forward. A 4c will serve you well for probably 18 months or so.

Colin the Bear

It may be that further down the road you will need a wider tip opening so investing too much in a starter mouthpiece is not necessary. To make sure you have a well made and quality assured piece, a Yamaha is a safe bet to get you going. Once you get past the squawking and squeaking stage and are starting to play, it may be time to invest in a more relevant piece.

Practice is the only way to improve. The gear is just the interface between you and the music.

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
I concur with the Yamaha. It’s relatively inexpensive and a good beginner’s mouthpiece that will serve you well until you develop enough chops to begin to begin the pursuit of your desired tone

brianr

with new prices, the selmer is way more expensive than the Yamaha.

Dont buy a fancy expensive ligature at the moment, as it may not fit the next mouthpiece you buy.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Café Supporter
The OP says he can get the Selmer, Rousseau and Yamaha for about the same price.
In this case I see no reason to choose the Yamaha - to me it seems like a second-best option compared with the others.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
The OP says he can get the Selmer, Rousseau and Yamaha for about the same price.
In this case I see no reason to choose the Yamaha - to me it seems like a second-best option compared with the others.
Something wrong - either he's being ripped off for the yamaha, or it's a custom. The base 4c should be in the quote list.

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Café Supporter
All good tips/comments so far. I've never played alto or Rosseau or Yamaho mpc's so can't comment. I started out with tenor Selmer mpc's (C*, C**, D) before moving on to others.

My only two comments are:
- (as @MandyH suggests), take your sax and current mpc along to a store, try them all out, compare them and choose the one you that gives you the best 'fit' between play-ability and tone
- you have a teacher: ask for his/her advice and whether he/she would help you choose a better mpc at a local store. It might help to have someone who knows your playing level/style/tone listen while you play, ask you to play different kinds of tones in different ranges and ask you about how easy/difficult you find a specific mpc to play on. Your teacher might also be able to give you advice on things like "OK, this mpc is easy to play now but in 2 months time you'll be looking for something else" or "OK, this mpc will be more difficult for a couple of weeks/months, but you can probably stay with it for the next 6-12 months".

I don't know how willing teachers are to help students choose new mpc's but even if it costs you a lesson (spent at a store) it might be worth considering.

This TTS page is worth reading.

Mike

JazzMatt

Account Closed
After just 1 month of playing, a better mouthpiece would be a MUCH better investment than another book. dont get caught up in the
mistaken idea that books make you better. as you have a teacher, you are already doing the correct stuff. Do more of it!
try to impress your teacher every lesson, by being perfect on what you are working on.

Yes, another mouthpiece would be much to your advantage, compared to your current one.

i would suggest a Yamaha 4c. it is perfect for your needs and not expensive. it will serve you well until you develop a bit and then depending on what you music taste and tonal concept is, then decide on an even better mouthpiece.
That may well be a Selmer c star, depending on your direction.
Dont get pulled in to the constant changing of mouthpieces idea. Sticking to one mouthpiece only, for a considerable time, is the best way forward. A 4c will serve you well for probably 18 months or so.
Agree with the Yamaha 4c. I'd also try a 5c at the same time. The 5c is a bit warmer than the 4c. Or buy both and still have change from the cost of the selmer or Rousseau...

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
If you can try them all do that, if not I'd be tempted by the Selmer if they are all the same price and in good condition :)

Jx

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Sigh. . . . . A "good" mouthpiece for a more experienced player is not necessarily a good match for a beginner. The Yamaha 4C and Fobes Debut are specifically designed for developing embouchures sacrificing a bit of flexibility and volume for better stability, consistency, and control. There are some who may disagree with this who "jumped" to a more "professional" mouthpiece right away and did just fine. If that worked for you, great. I just know from years of teaching experience that mouthpieces with wider tip openings, thinner side and tip rails, and longer lays are harder to control when a student is just starting out. I think of it like using training wheels to start out learning to ride a bicycle. You eventually achieve the same result, but with a lot fewer scrapes and bruises. :)

GranitoMan

Thanks for all the answers and all the input. I really appreaciate all the input and your kindness .
Just to clarify , all the mouthpieces are second hand and being sold ta the same price , about 40 UK pounds.

Last edited:

brianr

Thanks for all the answers and all the input. I really appreaciate all the input and your kindness .
Just to clarify , all the mouthpieces are second hand and being sold ta the same price , about 40 UK pounds.

If you are being offered a Selmer s80 c star including rovner lig for 40 uk pounds .... buy it.

are you certain there is no damage to the mouthpiece. have a good close look at the rails. these are the two side rails on which the reed sits, and also the tip rails. You dont want any damage, of any size... even little dings etc .... nothing

if possible , get your teacher to check it for you.

if it isnt perfect..... leave it. you need one that is perfect.

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom