• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophones I'm trying to identify what model of Blessing Saxophone this is.

Keaton Norfleet

New Member
Messages
2
Location
Iowa
I bought this tenor saxophone a little over a year ago from my professor. I just recently picked it back up for a gig with friends. Out of curiosity, I wanted to do a little research into the sax to see if it was any good since I haven't played it much. I had never heard of this brand until my professor told me about it.

The brand is E.K. Blessing. However, I can not find a model number on it, at least not one that matches any of Blessing's model numbers. There are two numbers on the bottom back of the sax. I am attaching pictures.
1790281717364-73ba1d19-a808-4598-a432-115aec9c229a.jpg

1790282358425-fa19a5ea-a1e4-45cf-b662-315cb185490c.jpg

1790282533670-c5161e3e-e3e4-4ef7-ae69-d83879d0212d.jpg

1790282605274-3a17eafd-404e-43eb-83e9-191e19511d16.jpg


I was hoping you all could work your magic on this one for me. Since I have so far found nothing. I have posted this on a few Sax subreddits, but they aren't doing me any good. I figured a saxophone-focused forum could help a bit more.
 
Ténor.gif

A comparison between two Blessing ténor stencils of the same origin: 0710 is the model, and the issue is the 7-digit serial number. The photo is taken from a post on SOTW, and someone in that thread mentions a Jupiter 587.
That doesn't look like a Jupiter 587 !

I don't know who manufactured this saxophone; the 7-digit serial number and the foam key guard felts suggest China, where Selmer's Series II models were widely copied.
 
Wasn't the Powell Eagle saxes built in Blessings plant, Elkhart? They bought/took over B&S tools.
Dunno 🤷‍♂️. What year(s) were the Eagles made ? It appears there were numerous changes from 1961 onwards.
What models to year or facility I have zero knowledge about. Also I’ve never really studied B&S, so ??

Interesting for a long time maker to have so little online presence/ historical knowledge available.
I’ve only known one member who owned a B&S. @Jerry Kane
 
The following is merely speculation. The logo on this saxophone appears on Blessing brass instruments from 2005 to 2009.
The serial numbers for these tenor models—2308114 and 2308224—could be interpreted as follows: the first two digits represent an internal factory code, the next two indicate the year (2008), and the last three are the specific unit number.
 
Dunno 🤷‍♂️. What year(s) were the Eagles made ? It appears there were numerous changes from 1961 onwards.
What models to year or facility I have zero knowledge about. Also I’ve never really studied B&S, so ??

Interesting for a long time maker to have so little online presence/ historical knowledge available.
I’ve only known one member who owned a B&S. @Jerry Kane

Yo Glenn! Yes, I’ve owned quite a few B&S saxes, a few early Blue Labels, then the top models like 2001, Allora stencils and Medusa. This isn’t like most top model B&S stencils, bell to body brace is wrong and no G# lifting mechanism. They usually have made in Germany and that and SN are stamped vertically on the body, not horizontal like this one. Probably made in Taiwan or China.
 

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,280
Messages
576,614
Members
8,090
Latest member
nelius
Back
Top Bottom