PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones I need a tenor sax!

VirusKiller

Following a discussion with my new teacher, it seems like it would be best for me to shift from alto to tenor straightaway. So I need a tenor.

I basically want something that will do me for a year, after which, if I'm still going strong, I'll move it on and treat myself to something a bit/lot more expensive!

I've spotted a mint, bronze, original version (i.e. not the improved action and pads) Bauhaus Walstein for £450.

Any reason not to go for this?

Any other suggestions?

Following a discussion with my new teacher, it seems like it would be best for me to shift from alto to tenor straightaway. So I need a tenor.

I basically want something that will do me for a year, after which, if I'm still going strong, I'll move it on and treat myself to something a bit/lot more expensive!

I've spotted a mint, bronze, original version (i.e. not the improved action and pads) Bauhaus Walstein for £450.

Any reason not to go for this?

Any other suggestions?

Check the price, it's probably not much nore for a new one.

They're a tad over £600 now, so £450 is quite a saving if it's in mint condition.

I doubt there'd be much else decent to be had at that price - I'd go for it.

Regards,

Well, I'm off to Allegro (!) this afternoon. He has some Walsteins, but also a YTS-25. I'm actually tempted by the Yamaha if it looks good and, presumably, I'd be able to sell it for roughly the same price in a year's time.

It all went very smoothly, which is more than I can say of the Oxford Ring Road traffic. Roger has his opinions, which I respect, and I just went with the flow...

I tried two tenor saxes: a virtually mint bronze original spec. Walstein for £450 (Chinese pads, pseudo-point screws) and a YTS-25 (£475) which had obviously seen some use, but was in very good cosmetic condition nonetheless.

I was really surprised at the extent that the tone from these instruments differed. The Walstein is warm and rich, and the YTS-25 is much brighter and tighter, more like my YAS-62, though not shrill or overly lean (in my opinion).

I actually preferred the tone of the Yamaha, but I couldn't quite get on with this particular instrument. I wouldn't have worried too much if it had just been the bell notes, but I had some problems with low D as well. At the present time, I just want an instrument that I can play and I don't want to have to seek out a technician etc. etc. I don't have the time for that.

On the other hand, the Walstein was a easy blow from top to bottom. Nice action too, particularly the bell keys (thanks to Yanagisawa I think!).

At this point, it's more important that I have a good instrument that I can learn on, so I bought the Walstein. If, in a year's time, I'm sick of the sound, I'll change it. I don't think I've gone wrong at £450! At any rate, I think I'm going to pair it with a brighter mouthpiece.

So I now own two saxes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Darker warmer richer for me, all the time. I want a tenor to sound like a tenor, not like a soprano trying to get down into the real notes.

Loud, full and bright for me, all the time. I want a tenor to sound like a tenor, not like a baritone trying to get up into the real notes.

:)

<edit> Sorry, I'm doing baritones a disservice. What I don't like is tenors sounding like french horns.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too went down this route and bought a Tenor as well as keeping my Alto. I now get confused on which instruments to play I love the sound and feel to my Hanson but then again have more books and songsheets for my Alto good luck with the new horn

Mick

Back
Top Bottom