support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones I need a tenor sax!

VirusKiller

Following a discussion with my new teacher, it seems like it would be best for me to shift from alto to tenor straightaway. So I need a tenor.

I basically want something that will do me for a year, after which, if I'm still going strong, I'll move it on and treat myself to something a bit/lot more expensive!

I've spotted a mint, bronze, original version (i.e. not the improved action and pads) Bauhaus Walstein for £450.

Any reason not to go for this?

Any other suggestions?

Following a discussion with my new teacher, it seems like it would be best for me to shift from alto to tenor straightaway. So I need a tenor.

I basically want something that will do me for a year, after which, if I'm still going strong, I'll move it on and treat myself to something a bit/lot more expensive!

I've spotted a mint, bronze, original version (i.e. not the improved action and pads) Bauhaus Walstein for £450.

Any reason not to go for this?

Any other suggestions?

Check the price, it's probably not much nore for a new one.

They're a tad over £600 now, so £450 is quite a saving if it's in mint condition.

I doubt there'd be much else decent to be had at that price - I'd go for it.

Regards,

Well, I'm off to Allegro (!) this afternoon. He has some Walsteins, but also a YTS-25. I'm actually tempted by the Yamaha if it looks good and, presumably, I'd be able to sell it for roughly the same price in a year's time.

It all went very smoothly, which is more than I can say of the Oxford Ring Road traffic. Roger has his opinions, which I respect, and I just went with the flow...

I tried two tenor saxes: a virtually mint bronze original spec. Walstein for £450 (Chinese pads, pseudo-point screws) and a YTS-25 (£475) which had obviously seen some use, but was in very good cosmetic condition nonetheless.

I was really surprised at the extent that the tone from these instruments differed. The Walstein is warm and rich, and the YTS-25 is much brighter and tighter, more like my YAS-62, though not shrill or overly lean (in my opinion).

I actually preferred the tone of the Yamaha, but I couldn't quite get on with this particular instrument. I wouldn't have worried too much if it had just been the bell notes, but I had some problems with low D as well. At the present time, I just want an instrument that I can play and I don't want to have to seek out a technician etc. etc. I don't have the time for that.

On the other hand, the Walstein was a easy blow from top to bottom. Nice action too, particularly the bell keys (thanks to Yanagisawa I think!).

At this point, it's more important that I have a good instrument that I can learn on, so I bought the Walstein. If, in a year's time, I'm sick of the sound, I'll change it. I don't think I've gone wrong at £450! At any rate, I think I'm going to pair it with a brighter mouthpiece.

So I now own two saxes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Darker warmer richer for me, all the time. I want a tenor to sound like a tenor, not like a soprano trying to get down into the real notes.

Loud, full and bright for me, all the time. I want a tenor to sound like a tenor, not like a baritone trying to get up into the real notes.

:)

<edit> Sorry, I'm doing baritones a disservice. What I don't like is tenors sounding like french horns.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too went down this route and bought a Tenor as well as keeping my Alto. I now get confused on which instruments to play I love the sound and feel to my Hanson but then again have more books and songsheets for my Alto good luck with the new horn

Mick

Testing the widget
Back
Top Bottom