SYOS

I am doing less playing in lockdown, am I on my own with this.

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
I too can suffer utter apathy when time stretches before me, but....

At risk of repeating what @Wade Cornell likes to remind us:

In the absence of gigs and the time committed to them, Wikiloops gives me major sax mojo. So much choice, so much talent, so many musical styles and ideas.... they even encourage cellism and very probably wouldn't mind violism if thats your thing @tenorviol

ESJohn

I'm not at the point of gigs by any means. Just a New Horizons band that I joined in February and got to all of three rehearsals. I was really down when those got cancelled but managed to practice some on my own for a while. My big concern was practicing and reinforcing my errors, which is where I was before joining the band. Our hero director came up with one-on-one practice sessions a few weeks ago for each of us that wished to participate and I grabbed at that. Now it's every Thursday evening at 6 pm for 40 minutes. He told me yesterday that seven more members have joined in just this week. We are working toward a goal of a concert in July. I'll alter the words to a t-shirt that I saw: "United we Stand, divided we still play the sax!"
Can you join forces via Zoom, Skype, etc. with anyone else just for the fun of it? You probably don't need instruction like I do, but there must be some fun opportunities out there.

ESJohn

I forgot to include that, since I am meeting the director once a week, I practice daily (although I missed a few here and there) because I feel a sense of accountability to him and the band. Whenever we do get back together, I want the other members to know that I have improved.

OP
jazzdoh

jazzdoh

Can you join forces via Zoom, Skype, etc. with anyone else just for the fun of it? You probably don't need instruction like I do, but there must be some fun opportunities out there.
The thing is I'm not unhappy with not playing, I've played in a lot of bands over the years and cut my gigging down to what I call a manageable level a few years ago due to health reasons, I could play with some friends on zoom if I wanted but don't have the urge.
It will probably come back but for now it's ok.

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber
I forgot to include that, since I am meeting the director once a week, I practice daily (although I missed a few here and there) because I feel a sense of accountability to him and the band. Whenever we do get back together, I want the other members to know that I have improved.
I feel the same way. My big band is recording three of the charts we were doing this semester remotely on Soundtrap and we have a short meeting once a week on Zoom.

We're hoping to resume at the start of the new semester at the end of August. I really want to come back improved and able to lead my section.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
I'm still working so no more time available now than before really. I motivate myself for a few days then my mood drops and so does the playing.

I hate the uncertainty, not being in control and suffering.

Jx

Last edited:

ESJohn

That not being unhappy with not playing, I think, is part of the being down (not out) from the changes we've all experienced. I'll bet the excitement is still there, just in the background right now. I think we are all feeling that to some degree.

Mister Levity

I was thinking that I was the only one who was playing less.
This should have been a busy year for gigs with 41 confirmed by January. Only played three before things were locked down.
I had plenty of good intention to practice and learn all those things I didn't have time for but Ive found it hard to find the motivation to play anything.

Hammie 1982

I'm playing something every day at the moment!!!!
I haven't gotten my Sax yet, so playing the Clarinet more than anything else!!!!!
My problem is normally im out of the house 11 hours a day, but ive been working from home now for 8 weeks!!!!
Dunno how im going to cope with going back into an office environment where i have to be washed and dressed and not able to pick up an instrument and play whenever the hell i want!!!!!!

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
I know the feeling. I've ordered a keyboard recenty and it's not five feet away from my desk now. So I can switch chairs and play it whenever I want. Nobody knows!

I will probably keep working from home for a few more weeks and if my wife goes to work a couple of days a week, I'll be able to blow away a few times during the day too... :D

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
For me, it's an energy thing. However 'active' I try to keep in the Home and on our Government approved walks, I just feel a lack of overall mental and physical energy and more than a hint of Cabin Fever! It makes you realise how much energy you need to use blowing into a horn. Having said that. I've found myself picking the Sax up a little more frequently over the past few days. But sitting at the piano just seems a far less physically challenging thing to do.

converse

With the whole clan at home all the time and school hours being strictly enforced by my wife, I'm not 'allowed' to play during the day... I try to fit some playing before diner, but it's not always easy as I'm also required to cook diner since I'm off duty on the work front for now.

I realize that playing early in the morning like I did before the lockdown was really good. It helped me get started, while now I often lack the stamina and I quickly loose motivation.

I just received a keyboard, so we'll see if I manage to get anything out of it. At least I can play it almost anytime. I have new headsets on their way too... I could not get the keyboard in quietly... :rolleyes: but now it's in so I'd better make good use of it. I'm sure some of the kids will also want to use it and that's good.

Keep safe and keep blowing!
Exactly this with me. As soon as I get the saxophone out someone tells me to stop. Soul destroying.

Hammie 1982

I know the feeling. I've ordered a keyboard recenty and it's not five feet away from my desk now. So I can switch chairs and play it whenever I want. Nobody knows!

I will probably keep working from home for a few more weeks and if my wife goes to work a couple of days a week, I'll be able to blow away a few times during the day too... :D
ive been summonsed back to the office, they want me back there after the bank holiday weekend! I’m sticking to my guns tho, and if it’s not in my best interests and there is too much risk, I’ll tell them I’m going home again!

I’ve considered getting a cheap base guitar to learn on too! Couple of hundred quid will pick something up with an amp! Might as well cause with 4 kids growing up in the house here, someone will use it!!!!
I wish I still had all the instruments I used to have for them to learn!!!! I couldn’t play half of them but there was always someone that could pick something up and play a bit!!!!

TBay

I am not sure I would have a Sax if it wasn’t for the lockdown, so guess my ’playing‘ is up massively. But my Bass playing is also up, time to learn new songs, new skills etc. Loving having a bit more time for music in general.

Ne0Wolf7

I am playing less because all of my rehearsals are canceled and my school load has increased due to a different method of instruction.

sizzzzler

ive been summonsed back to the office, they want me back there after the bank holiday weekend!
I work in a genuine essential occupation and have not been locked down at home. I hear from family in China that weeks after the lockdown ended public transport, shopping malls, restaurants, etc are empty, businesses closing down. People, masked and gloved all day, are using their cars to get to work, taking food from home so they don’t need to go out for lunch, driving straight home and staying in until work the next day.
Until we have an off the shelf remedy for the symptoms, or a vaccine, life will be difficult, and for some pretty terrible.

John Laughter

Last gig was 3/13. Next gig on 8/8. Hopefully it will happen. Four gigs canceled to date and two moved to Sept. Very strange situation to say the least. Still practicing every day trying to keep the fingers in motion. Hopefully it will all be behind us real soon :thumb:

OP
jazzdoh

jazzdoh

I picked up the sax yesterday and played for about 30 mins, first time in about 4 weeks.
I think its a motivational issue with me, having gigs to play gives me a reason to keep playing.
Will have to wait for venues to open again before gigging again, hopefully they will survive but who knows, there have been loads closed down or have stopped doing live music over the last 10 years, I think this current situation will be the biggest test of any entertainment business to survive.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
Half of the 10 mins I did the other day was this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw3xmdCuZ1g

and a similar amount of time was spent about a week ago doing this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxC69RD_4NY

Well, once you've wandered around the garden a couple of times and noodled a bit on soprano, what then? Do it again? It's not appealing much to me.
On listening to the windy flowery one a friend suggested I should do something to waves on the beach. That seems to be getting a bit too close to "new age" stuff for my liking. However, it's a reason to wander down to the beach and record some waves as part of my daily exercise, so I might do it anyway. But it looks like rain today, so some other time.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom