All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

I am doing less playing in lockdown, am I on my own with this.

jazzdoh

I thought I would be doing more playing in lockdown but are finding that I am doing a lot less.
I am not missing playing and there are is no one stopping me from playing.
I think that because all my gigs are cancelled that there is no pressure on my playing, hopefully this will pass.

Is there others that are finding this or am I on my own?

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
I'm playing less, but focusing a bit more on specific things when I pick the horn up, which is very unlike me. I usually fiddle around playing anything that comes to mind in a very sporadic fashion, but I'm working on a bit of technique and scale/chord knowledge. But overall a lot less than normal. Much of the time I have no urge to pick the horn up. I'm playing a bit more piano.

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
You're sadly not on your own. I think a lack of urgency may be involved for me, too, as the shows I'm involved in are all now working on the assumption that this entire year is a complete write-off, but also because no one's at work and because of the lovely weather they've all got their windows open so they'll all be able to clearly every note I play.

randulo

Living the dream
Subscriber
Is there others that are finding this or am I on my own?
I have all the time in the world and neighbors who are absent on one side and have no problem with practicing on the other side. Still, I have found myself less inspired to practice the same number of hours I did before. Some mornings I don't play at all, which is the best time for me, before lunch.

The general feeling was described by one podcaster as "grief". I don't feel that way, I have no family I am deprived of seeing, and few friends that we'd see more that once a month. On the one hand, I don't feel it's due to the lockdown, but it must be, possibly the unknown ending of it.

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
Get a grip you lot. You need a drill instructor to shake away that apathy. (Or stop drinking so much)

Hit the deck and give me ten

Now platoon back to your saxes: long tones, scales, hut hut hut, arpeggios, hut hut hut, mouthpiece exercises, hut hut. Now sprint to SOTM and give me three versions each of April, March and Feb

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber
Interestingly, I have no more free time than usual as I've been working from home for three years, but I am practicing more than ever. My practices are also the most focused they've ever been. It feels like the distraction of the outside world has been removed.

We don't know when or how all this ends, but I have this thought of practicing diligently the whole time and then emerging significantly better than I was before the quarantine.

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
Get a grip you lot. You need a drill instructor to shake away that apathy. (Or stop drinking so much)

Hit the deck and give me ten

Now platoon back to your saxes: long tones, scales, hut hut hut, arpeggios, hut hut hut, mouthpiece exercises, hut hut. Now sprint to SOTM and give me three versions each of April, March and Feb

I can't be bothered to do SOTM this Month and I'm the one hosting it :p

Colin the Bear

Can't be arsed.

However, all the horns have been serviced, cleaned and regulated. All the temporary running repairs made permanent.

Spares restocked and organised. New reeds ordered. Some new backing tracks arranged.

I don't consider it playing without an audience. That's just practice. With no gigs in the pipeline, why practice?

Done a couple of phone videos for youtube. Quality is pretty bad.

Mojo lost.

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
From some parts there is an expectation that lock down is the time to be more productive, or to learn new things, or improve themselves in some ways. Whilst that might work for some (and good for them), for others, just getting through this weird old situation with good Mental and Physical Health and a source of Income and the same family members they had at the start of the lock down is more than enough.

A rest is as good as a change :)

jazzdoh

Thanks for the replies, its good to know that I'm not alone.
My friends and family said at the start of the lockdown to my wife that you probably won't see him (me) for weeks, he will be locked in his music room only coming out when its all over, how wrong they were about that.
I have had times last year when I couldn't play due to illness but was always able to get back into it when I was allowed, but this is different, I just don't have the urge to play, this is the first time in 36 years I've felt this way.
Stay safe

Clivey

I noticed right at the beginning of this that as my fear slowly grew my creativity and testosterone levels fell .It's very hard "Pun intended" to avoid the hopeless cliche and songwriting forums are solid blocked with that exact thing.
I myself have produced 3 numbers directly influenced by the crisis and it's very difficult to move on though I did manage to at least conclude my last song in a positive .
Inspiration to play,write and produce comes from all around like the ether of a dream that we forget if we do not get it into hard copy and sometimes it's easier putting the coffee pot on

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber
This whole situation is so surreal, I think it's hard for any of us to maintain what was our "normal" routine. Things kind of seem pointless. It's just about survival. The unique aspect is that it's not a local, regional or even national situation. It's global. I find it both unsettling and encouraging that the entire world is experiencing this together.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
I'm retired, so I have the same spare time now as I did before the virus.
I've moved to a different room for practice, which I hope will be less bothersome for the neighbours.
I'm practicing more, but in a different way - I'm just concentrating on trying to improve my tone on tenor sax.
I don't practice the big band numbers on bari.
But I am trying to get my head around the SOTM.

I had imagined that we would have a lot more SOTM and BOTM recordings, but that hasn't happened.

On a slightly similar note, my wife and I thought we would watch more TV after lockdown, but we actually watch less.

thomsax

I playing less nowadays. I just play 3 days/w. I try to do kettle bell training and moutain bike the other days. When I was younger I could do both training and playing on the same day. But last days I've been setting up the Rocksax house again. So now I'm no excuse for not honk on my saxes, I was hestitating if I should carry out all the stuff. I just carried out the PA and the drums. I hope I can have jams and other music meetings later this summer. For now I'm honking on my own. Maybe I can get better blues recordings to upload? The saxophone for me is something I do for fun and to feel better. No paid gigs. But I miss the contact with other musicians. It's so quiet on the phone, email and even FB is quiet. Some nice inspiring baritone from David Woodford.
View: https://youtu.be/twdaljq28d4

sax panther

Subscriber
I thought I'd be doing more, with no travelling for work, but I'm doing less...partly because my neighbours are all at home and enjoying their gardens, so I don't want to disturb them, and partly because my girlfriend is also at home all the time so I don't want to disturb her. I've been playing a bit more on the quiet instruments though, electric guitar and keyboard (both turned down quietly, or with headphones on!).

We did manage to get some recording done earlier though for an isolation video for the band I'm in.

Dave E

I was furloughed recently so now have more time. My practise strategy was previously haphazard to say the least, but I've recently starting recording myself (mainly only on Smartphone though) which I hardly ever did before in 20-odd years of sporadic playing. I'm absolutely horrified at the sound and my poor techniques but am starting to try to identify and hopefully correct them..

brianr

I seem to be in a minority!

I enjoying playing the sax just for the fun of it.
And I enjoy the feeling of getting better at it.

And I will not succumb to daytime TV.
So, for me, with so much time available, its a no brainer....
I’m practicing.........and getting better

Last edited:

saxyjt

Saxus Circus Maximus
Subscriber
With the whole clan at home all the time and school hours being strictly enforced by my wife, I'm not 'allowed' to play during the day... I try to fit some playing before diner, but it's not always easy as I'm also required to cook diner since I'm off duty on the work front for now.

I realize that playing early in the morning like I did before the lockdown was really good. It helped me get started, while now I often lack the stamina and I quickly loose motivation.

I just received a keyboard, so we'll see if I manage to get anything out of it. At least I can play it almost anytime. I have new headsets on their way too... I could not get the keyboard in quietly... :rolleyes: but now it's in so I'd better make good use of it. I'm sure some of the kids will also want to use it and that's good.

Keep safe and keep blowing!

Top Bottom