support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

How to play the saxophone in tune

Brilliant article, it's clear and easy to understand.

(Quote-'If only it was that simple.'
The 'was' should be 'were'. Think you stuck that in to make sure we were paying attention ;})
Edit-Actually, think it was right, I think it's me!! Very poorly today and can't think straight.

Last edited by a moderator:
looks good

add reed & sax temperature to things that affect tuning (para 2)
earn -> learn step 1, para 2

Tuning tendencies, lower register box - not clear which C# or other notes you're talking about.

Intonation checklist, find Ornette Coleman, where -> were

Needs an ending

Very good. All clear. I keep asking myself why I like to play tenorsax in bands with harmonica, accordion, violin .... ? Most people like it. And we are not "that clean". The bassplayer is a piano tech and he use to tune the piano, if there is a aucostic piano, so it's not to clean!!!!

looks good

add reed & sax temperature to things that affect tuning (para 2)
earn -> learn step 1, para 2

Tuning tendencies, lower register box - not clear which C# or other notes you're talking about.

Intonation checklist, find Ornette Coleman, where -> were

Needs an ending

Thanks. I did mention ambient temperature, which is probably the same as the saxophone conducts heat quickly, so I'll change that to instrument temperature. Thanks

Step 1, second para

As all saxophone players should earn very quickly,

I guess that should read 'learn' Pete, although I don't know :), a Freudian slip;}

Thanks. I did mention ambient temperature, which is probably the same as the saxophone conducts heat quickly, so I'll change that to instrument temperature. Thanks

Just to nitpick, it's the temperature of the air inside the horn that affects pitch. Don't know if tht's an important enough distinction to wrrant mention. Instrument temperature is a good enough proxy for it anyway.

Yes you are right. People often think that metal expands as it gets warmer, so the saxophone gets longer so flatter.

In fact that's why I originally said ambient temperature come to think of it, as the air inside would be the same as outside. maybe, maybe not.

If the ambient temperature is cold, the players breath would warm it up.

If the ambient temperature is hot, the players breath would either make no difference or maybe even cool it down.

Hmmm, maybe I'll just say temperature. It won't make much difference, knowing the science won't make a scrap of difference when you are in a marching band at 10 degrees below.

People often think that metal expands as it gets warmer, so the saxophone gets longer so flatter.
Surely metal does expand as it gets warmer - remember the brass ball and hoop from physics lessons? And if it does, then doesn't the sax (as well as getting slightly longer) also become narrower inside as the metal expands, thus sharper?

Does the warmth of our breath on an average British day make much difference? Has anyone ever actually measured a saxophone in cold and warm conditions to see how much difference there is, if any?

Whatever, I drive an MR2 at the moment, so I've taken to putting the sax in the boot right up against the bulkhead to catch any warmth from the engine.;}

Sure the sax does get longer as it gets warmer, but not significantly. It's the effect of air temperature on the speed of sound that really makes the difference. Which is why Morgan's saying it's the air temp inside the horn. I've noticed more than a semitone difference in tuning, compared to a cold sax at about 15 degrees C and when it's all warmed up.