• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Playing the saxophone How to growl on saxophone - please help find examples

Examples of the saxophone growl​


Growl.webp
Growling is one of the most popular effects on the saxophone. We often associate it with rock and pop playing but it's also a very legitimate technique in jazz, used by the greats from Ben Webster through to David Sanborn.

Before I go on the describe it, here are some audio examples:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGrg57RbqBE

Although we think of the saxophone growl as an effect, it can be applied with different intensities. You can use it here or there on one or two notes or add it quite extensively. It's up to your taste and judgment how you use it. It can be anything from a slight edge to brighten the tone to a full on snarling roaring tiger growl.

It is a sort of equivalent to a guitarist using a distortion pedal.

How do you growl on a saxophone​

First of all one of the misconception is that you growl while playing. That is not likely to work. Another misconception is that you roll your RRRs. Again, that won't work either - BUT - it does give a different but related effect: flutter tongue.

To growl you simply sing, or rather hum, while you are playing. It's not actually possible to sing of course because there is a mouthpiece in the way, but humming (which takes place in your throat) works well.

Which note to hum?​

That's the $1000 question. Some people say to hum the same note as you are playing but slightly (or very) out of tune, others to hum a specific harmony or interval relative to the note you are playing.

I have found that either of those may work, but nobody I know of has yet come up with an explanation of how out of tune or which interval. The way it works is that the note (being out of tune or different to the one you are playing) causes interference with the sound wave of the saxophone to cause the distortion. It may be that not all saxophone notes growl based on the same amount of pitch variation or harmony in the hum.

My preferred method of learning is via a sort of subconscious process of trial and error. Trying to sing along, whether out of tune, or in harmony is just too difficult a process.

So try this:
  • Play a note on the saxophone
  • While playing, hum any note and while keeping on the same saxophone note, vary the pitch of your hum
  • Listen carefully to the note and as your hum varies and note when it causes the tonal interference - and the resulting growl.
  • Play that note again (asa long note) while humming that same pitch if possible
  • Repeat a few times and then move on to a different and do the same process over again
This way you will gradually find you automatically hum whatever note works best for each note or series of notes you are playing.

Another very quick example...Happy growling evybody!



PS: We are pleased to also bring you a a soundcloud tutorial from our very own cafe member Taz.

View: https://soundcloud.com/taz-16/growl-tutorial
 
Last edited:
Ive tried so many tho... 🙂 baffled seems an easier blowi for me...would less air go through a metal piece than a larger hr piece...
Ĺ
Too many variables to say for sure. An open piece with soft reed could take less air than a closed piece and hard reed. As I said before, leaks also cause more resistance. Table could also be off, ligature might not fit correctly, etc. You need a tech or experienced player to evaluate. There's no way we can do it without seeing and hearing it.

I don't believe in horn/mouthpiece "match", except with very specific, very old vintage horns. I believe in player/mouthpiece "match". But I seem to be in the minority with that view.

Sounds like your heart is set on the 82z, so may as well just be done with it and get what you want. We haven't been able to talk you out of it so far.
It was advice really @lydian i think if anything my head is set on the z but i tried a used one and come away with the raw..I dont want to change again really.. Maybe it is the table or set up perhaps i should drop down a size mouthpiece and reed but i seem to have trouble hitting the palm key notes...theres no rush i will experiment a bit more...theres novpop on a reed test but im not sure of the value of it...i guess at the end of the day only i can make my mind up...thanks all for the help.
 
I have listened to Boppin with Pete Thomas

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzHfOMdgIF4


and greatly love the tone.I have been able to get the growl via this site but wknder exactly how Pete gets his hard tone..is a mix of growl and blowing up the octave without using the octave key. I posted a track on Soundcloud "Sway" using the growl on some of the repeat lines but not getting it to a more rounded tone
 

I am not really answering this as Pete himself is the only guy that can comment accurately in his own technique.
Re your rendition
Not too much to worry about in the growl department as far as I can hear.
It's an Effect and like all effects is often overused , but that's a very subjective thing indeedy, think " Pulp Fiction" It's always going to be up to the player or producer/ director if for a recording to rationalize these things.

A common rule of thumb. if you think it's right turn it down a wee bit.
I used to play whole sets of constant growl. The more practiced in it you get, the more subtle the possibilities are .Not too many listeners would get that.
 

I am not really answering this as Pete himself is the only guy that can comment accurately in his own technique.
Re your rendition
Not too much to worry about in the growl department as far as I can hear.
It's an Effect and like all effects is often overused , but that's a very subjective thing indeedy, think " Pulp Fiction" It's always going to be up to the player or producer/ director if for a recording to rationalize these things.

A common rule of thumb. if you think it's right turn it down a wee bit.
I used to play whole sets of constant growl. The more practiced in it you get, the more subtle the possibilities are .Not too many listeners would get that.
Thanks for your comments
 
David, that sounded great to me 🙂

I think I only do the growl thing on a couple of tracks: One step beyond and the solo in Money. I just, sort of, er, growl. Seems to work, but I'm sure there's better than me that can advise (or describe the technique more eloquently 😉 )
 
exactly how Pete gets his hard tone..is a mix of growl and blowing up the octave without using the octave key.
It is all growl, no blowing up the octave without the octave key. I wonder what it is that gives that impression., I've never done that or heard of it as a thing (except maybe in the context of doing harmonic exercises).

I do like to be in control of the growl so I might use a growl to a greater or lesser extent. Maybe just adding just a tiny bit can brighten the tone without actually any actual growl being heard. It's useful to be able to turn it on and off, as well as when appropriate to use all the time. Or never.
 
'Ello @Pete Thomas - I think @Ballymenaboy is referring to:
Quote from Taming the saxophone - Blind John Hart:
"Hart had an unusual technique of playing the low Bb, B, C and C# up an octave as if regular notes of the upper register."
In other words - without the octave key and thereby allowing the lower partials into the upper register notes.
Incidentally there's a typo in that page. should be - "unusual"
 
In other words - without the octave key and thereby allowing the lower partials into the upper register notes.
Ah yes, that would be part of a false fingering technique, can be either oveblowing the low notes as overtones or using false fingerings. But not something to do over the entire lower register.
Incidentally there's a typo in that page. should be - "unusual"
Thanks, will fix that. It is one of many typos.
 
Last edited:
It is all growl, no blowing up the octave without the octave key. I wonder what it is that gives that impression., I've never done that or heard of it as a thing (except maybe in the context of doing harmonic exercises).

I do like to be in control of the growl so I might use a growl to a greater or lesser extent. Maybe just adding just a tiny bit can brighten the tone without actually any actual growl being heard. It's useful to be able to turn it on and off, as well as when appropriate to use all the time. Or never.
Many thanks for your reply and valued advice Pete
 
I've just rejigged an old article on growling, merged thread, and added a new video which has some examples from ben Webster and Lee Allen. I'm not really worthy but I had to add one of my own as I'm supposed to be learning people how to do the growl.

See post #1 for the video and concept of how to learn the growl. You too could be a growler!
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Taming The Saxophone

Our other wonderful saxophone site where you can find loads of information about saxophones, saxophone playing (and players), accessories, mouthpieces, tone exercises, fingering exercises, jazz, rock & blues improvisation and lots more.

NB: CafeSaxophone articles are here


Trending

Forum statistics

Topics
32,295
Messages
577,015
Members
8,093
Latest member
nilocssss
Back
Top Bottom