There are times when rhythms aren't clear (this is the main weakness of standard musical notation); there are times when you're not playing them correctly; there are times when you're not playing stuff evenly.
You need a tool box of techniques.
Frankly, since I first learned music reading and rhythm on piano, when I went to band classes and saw the "and", "and-a" "e-and-a" syllables, they were more of a curiosity. Despite years of instruction on piano and in band and orchestra classes and private lessons, I rather doubt I've ever actually used those syllables to parse out a rhythm.
Since my first wind instrument was flute, I tend to use the double and triple tonguing syllables ta-ka and ta-ka-ta on those rare occasions when I vocalize rapid rhythms.
In the real world of playing music, rhythmic challenges for me are mostly around dotted, double-dotted types of rhythms, especially common in Afro-Cuban and Brazilian music, not rapid sixteenths and the like. When no one in the band ever plays on the "one" but you're all expected to know exactly where it is at all times, and especially especially if you're reading a computer-typeset chart for the very first time where the person doing it wasn't familiar with the conventions of jazz and "Latin" rhythm notation, it can get a bit hairy. That's when the pencil comes out and I make the little vertical hash marks at each beat. On occasion I even have written "1-2-3+" over a held note just to be clear.
You need a tool box of techniques.
Frankly, since I first learned music reading and rhythm on piano, when I went to band classes and saw the "and", "and-a" "e-and-a" syllables, they were more of a curiosity. Despite years of instruction on piano and in band and orchestra classes and private lessons, I rather doubt I've ever actually used those syllables to parse out a rhythm.
Since my first wind instrument was flute, I tend to use the double and triple tonguing syllables ta-ka and ta-ka-ta on those rare occasions when I vocalize rapid rhythms.
In the real world of playing music, rhythmic challenges for me are mostly around dotted, double-dotted types of rhythms, especially common in Afro-Cuban and Brazilian music, not rapid sixteenths and the like. When no one in the band ever plays on the "one" but you're all expected to know exactly where it is at all times, and especially especially if you're reading a computer-typeset chart for the very first time where the person doing it wasn't familiar with the conventions of jazz and "Latin" rhythm notation, it can get a bit hairy. That's when the pencil comes out and I make the little vertical hash marks at each beat. On occasion I even have written "1-2-3+" over a held note just to be clear.
