support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Sheet Music Great solos in pop

He also tours quite with his own band when not on tour with other people if you look at his Website .
Very well worth hearing live.
A phenomenal musician

I listening to some Wierd Al Yankovich tunes. His music is the perfect type of "pop" music for saxophone solos.

I've seen Snake play a few times, great sound and very entertaining.

Nice guy too

Jx

Here's some interesting information about the origins of the sax part on the track "Careless Whisper" with another link to a more in-depth study...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W82ROUXG_8w

Greg S.
I'm confused. Steve Hamilton played the part on alto, where it fell easily within the compass of the instrument. Fair enough if he wants to do his own thing on tenor, but the original was on alto...

I must say I find the word cheesy a little super-sillyous.
If I'm being paid to entertain an audience that is what I'm expected to do.
Attitude or personal taste shouldn't have anything to do with it.
The sax player on the original Careless Whisper recording is Steve Gregory.
That's interesting. I thought it was Andy Hamilton. I'm so confused I'm calling him Steve Hamilton now... You're far more likely to be right on this than I am..

Phil Todd played a fantastic solo for a little-known group in the UK called Paz. 1986. Very '80's. A bit like the Rippingtons. Phil Todd can be seen in the Strictly band these days. He's a wonderful player.

and Andy Snitzer. Enormous player. Latest tours include Billy Joel, Sting and Paul Simon. Small time really...

That's interesting. I thought it was Andy Hamilton. I'm so confused I'm calling him Steve Hamilton now... You're far more likely to be right on this than I am..

Spike is quite correct that Steve Gregory played the saxophone solo on "Careless Whisper". One of the stories I read was that Mel Collins was asked to play but had a prior session booked and Mel Collins' wife advised the session contractor to contact Steve Gregory to see if he was available. According to Dan Forshaw's vlog a whole bunch of other players including saxophonists from the USA had also being auditioned to play the solo and had not worked out. Kind of reminds me of the guitar solo on Steely Dan's "Peg" from the "Aja" album where Jay Graydon's solo was something like the 7th, 8th or 9th solo used and which eventually made the final track.

Getting back to Steve Gregory I believe he played with Ginger Baker's band "Air Force" in the early 1970s - along way from the music of Wham or George Michael...

Greg S.

Great stuff. I'm looking forward to seeing Mr Gadd later in the Year.

Steve Gadd came to NZ the beginning of this year. Classy player unfortunately I never got to see him, although heard interview on the radio with him. Of course his famous playing on Paul Simon's 50 Ways to leave Your Lover, Steely Dan's Aja track and one to check out is Chick Corea's The Leprechaun album.:thumb:

Greg S

Steve Gadd came to NZ the beginning of this year. Classy player unfortunately I never got to see him, although heard interview on the radio with him. Of course his famous playing on Paul Simon's 50 Ways to leave Your Lover, Steely Dan's Aja track and one to check out is Chick Corea's The Leprechaun album.:thumb:

Greg S

I watched this last night - for a breakdown on that Aja Solo

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXH7cqrTbmM

Choice...:thumb: I've come across Rick Beato before on one of LA session guitarist Tim Pierce's videos. I agree with Rick 110% - Aja is a great album and one of my all time favourites...

Greg S.
Rick is right, it isn't just the players on this record, it was the engineering and producing as well. Everything came together in one of the most incredible albums ever. Gaucho, a few years later is similar and then of course Fagen's solo album The Nightly (though this suffered from the mastering of the first DDD, fully digitally recorded album). Fagen apparently hates it.
I love the bands and musicians of the '70's. The alignment between musicians, A&R guys and record companies, and the record-buying public was amazing and the quality of musicianship, writing and playing during those years in 'Pop' music might not ever be surpassed.
Led Zeppelin, The Doobie Bros, The Eagles, Steely Dan, The Carpenters, Stevie Wonder, Bowie, Chicago, Rush, The Bee Gees, The Crusaders, Paul Simon, Floyd, Queen... we can all keep adding to this..

Getting back to Steve Gregory I believe he played with Ginger Baker's band "Air Force" in the early 1970s - along way from the music of Wham or George Michael...
he's on the Airforce 2 album and the Live 1970 dvd as well as Ginger Baker's Salt and Graham Bond's We Put Our Magic On You...
according to Wikipedia he also played on The Stones' Honky Tonk Women with Bud Beadle on baritone....as well as playing with Alan Price, Chicken Shack, Fleetwood Mac, Stealer's Wheel, Slade, Suzi Quatro, T Rex, Chris Rea, China Crisis, Wet Wet Wet, Van Morrison, Linton Kwesi Johnson and many others

here he is with the Airforce with Bud Beadle and Graham Bond
View: https://youtu.be/IVCW3-GszVU