Tutorials

Sheet Music Great solos in pop

Ivan

Undecided
My daughter chose that tune as we walked down the isle last week :)
Kenny G version :doh:
Just listened to that version... say wot you like, that Kenny can wrestle his soprano into some sort of order*

*I'm pleased to say I wasn't completely sold on it ... enough vibrato to have men in hard hats checking for loose masonry

spike

Old Indian
Subscriber
It's not a Kenny G version.
Never played golf with Kenny so I don't know if he took his inspiration from Dollar Brand but:
Kenny's tune is called "the Wedding Song" and to my ears has nothing at all in common with the Abdullah Ibrahim tune "The Wedding".

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
My daughter chose that tune as we walked down the isle last week :)
I wonder if anyone has a laugh and walks down the aisle to
Although the concept is rather dated, now it would appear they wait until the children are old enough to pay for the wedding.

Last edited:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Never played golf with Kenny so I don't know if he took his inspiration from Dollar Brand but:
Kenny's tune is called "the Wedding Song" and to my ears has nothing at all in common with the Abdullah Ibrahim tune "The Wedding".
Can hear some lifts/quotes in there. But it's typical KennyG. Good sax work playing vomit inducing schmalz.

Ivan

Undecided
Ooops... not familiar with either toooon and didn't listen hard enough

Anyroad, Dollar's number is the one I'm a gonna learn

Saxodent

Snake Davis is the best player I know for Pop and Rock playing..UK based (M People ,Lisa Stansfield,Eurythmics Take That etc)
Imitation of the sound is very important too in such bands.
He also has 2 CDs of Classic Sax Solos you can buy.

Greg Strange

Hello everyone

I'm joining a band to do some saxophone solos for them. Being a classical musician by training, this is a bit out of my normal repertoire but I'm generally up for a challenge.

My daft questions for you lot:
1) Rio by Duran Duran is tenor?
2) Careless Whisper is alto?

What others should we try? This is a cheesy covers band. Think family weddings. One of them thinks there is a solo in Tainted Love but I can't think what that sounds like. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone
Here's some interesting information about the origins of the sax part on the track "Careless Whisper" with another link to a more in-depth study...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W82ROUXG_8w

Greg S.

Top Bottom