support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Sheet Music Great solos in pop

A really good version of Whiter Shade can be found by Frank Mead on his "Shout it out" Album.
I've played his version a few times at weddings as a solo artist. Always went down really well - tears in the eyes of the bride - a very emotional melody. Don't ask me why. ;) Paid my mortgage for the month. :cool:

I must say I find the word cheesy a little super-sillyous.
If I'm being paid to entertain an audience that is what I'm expected to do.
Attitude or personal taste shouldn't have anything to do with it.
The sax player on the original Careless Whisper recording is Steve Gregory.

Last edited:
The Wedding by Abdullah Ibrahim aka Dollar Brand is a beautiful tune for a wedding gig.
Never played it - always wanted to.
Also The Dance from Dave Koz is worth a listen. Never played that one either.
Life goes on . . .

zannie, I have a PDF file of over 500 pages of Top 40 hits from 1955-2015 that you are welcome to check out. I am sure that it contains a few "cheesy cover band" songs along with many awesome classic solos. Just send a PM with your email address if you would like a copy.

I like a lot of the Andy Mackay solo's that he did with Roxy music.

Is Phil Collins solo work regarded as pop or rock? I can think of a lot of his songs which feature strong saxophone parts.

I must say I find the word cheesy a little super-sillyous.
If I'm being paid to entertain an audience that is what I'm expected to do.
Attitude or personal taste shouldn't have anything to do with it.
The sax player on the original Careless Whisper recording is Steve Gregory.
I have friends that plays ABBA songs on weddings. They do thier very best so they can be on the call list again ... As a former chef I was in charge for many wedding diiners. Not always the food I prefer to cook but I was honerd to asked . Listen to what Uffe Andersson says about his work with ABBA. Uffe Andersson is a great sax player.

View: https://youtu.be/v6egChRGzqk

I had to play in a band rendition of Fernando. Hated it, but the audience loved it.

The Wedding by Abdullah Ibrahim aka Dollar Brand is a beautiful tune for a wedding gig.
My daughter chose that tune as we walked down the isle last week :)
Kenny G version :doh:

Generally it is regarded as utter sheeeeeeeiiiiiiite!
Ermmmmm Gerald Albright plays sax on Phil Collins tracks