ChampagneBears
Member
- Messages
- 154
- Location
- Greater Toronto Area (Canada)
I’m a re-learner (technically not a true beginner) currently renting a new alto sax - Yamaha YAS 26. I have no problems with it and am actually rather surprised at how good it sounds and how easy it is to play (even after 30 years away!). After this year of rental, I think I’d like to buy my first sax. Or maybe rent for another year, I don’t know yet.
By way of background, I’m an adult who is currently playing with a concert band. I am also currently looking for a teacher and hope to do exams. I’d like to explore both classical and jazz. I don’t intend to play professionally. I’m female with average female sized hands.
From a practical perspective, the Yamaha YAS 280 would be a great choice. It’s the least expensive at CAD$1,800 retail. It’ll last me a very long time (maybe forever) and due to it’s reputation and relative affordability, I suspect it will have great resale value and will be easily saleable.
But then the temptation sets in and I wonder if I should splurge for a pro sax, such as the YAS 62III at CAD$3,700. And since I’m up that way already, why not splurge just a bit more for a Yanagisawa AW01 at CAD$4,425? I think this will be my limit price-wise.
What do you folks think? Should I be practical or succumb to temptation? I’ve watched a lot of YT videos doing blind tests of student saxes vs pro saxes and I honestly couldn’t tell a difference. But maybe I’m not experienced enough right now to know if there’s a difference. I’ve read how they are built differently but how will this affect my playing and enjoyment? Maybe not much...it’s just that the brand name and the “pro” label seems so enticing.
Thanks for your thoughts.
By way of background, I’m an adult who is currently playing with a concert band. I am also currently looking for a teacher and hope to do exams. I’d like to explore both classical and jazz. I don’t intend to play professionally. I’m female with average female sized hands.
From a practical perspective, the Yamaha YAS 280 would be a great choice. It’s the least expensive at CAD$1,800 retail. It’ll last me a very long time (maybe forever) and due to it’s reputation and relative affordability, I suspect it will have great resale value and will be easily saleable.
But then the temptation sets in and I wonder if I should splurge for a pro sax, such as the YAS 62III at CAD$3,700. And since I’m up that way already, why not splurge just a bit more for a Yanagisawa AW01 at CAD$4,425? I think this will be my limit price-wise.
What do you folks think? Should I be practical or succumb to temptation? I’ve watched a lot of YT videos doing blind tests of student saxes vs pro saxes and I honestly couldn’t tell a difference. But maybe I’m not experienced enough right now to know if there’s a difference. I’ve read how they are built differently but how will this affect my playing and enjoyment? Maybe not much...it’s just that the brand name and the “pro” label seems so enticing.
Thanks for your thoughts.
