support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Does taking a break help?

Ben Cain

Locality
Essex, UK
Hi all,
Yesterday I had my first lesson since the end of November due to my hemiplegic migraine, which causes paralysis of the face and arm (similar to a stroke)
I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get any notes or sounds out of my JK tenor, imagine my surprise when playing my new grade 5 pieces when I sounded better than ever (even got an "excellent" from my teacher)

Has anyone else had a similar experience and do you ever take a self-enforced break to improve?

hemiplegic migraine.... sounds nasty, hope it doesn't get worse.

Enforced break/improvement. I find that sometimes after a couploe of days layoff. Something seems to go on working in my brain and whan I come back to the sax, things are a lot easier.

I've always been of the school of thought that every day you don't practise, you get worse as opposed to just staying the same, although I am also a firm believer that taking a break from particular things you're trying to do/play can help as like Kev said, your brain has time to commit things to memory properly and you're more prepared the next time you give it a go.

Hi Ben,
Yes I have also found this, sometimes one gets better after no practise for a few days, however it's a mistake to think that no practise at all and, you will get better.

However mental, visualization, away from your horn will also do wonders.

Best of luck with your face and arm.

Hats off to your dedication and willingness to play the Sax.

With that ...you will get where ever you want to go!

ciao
Jimu:mrcool

I've had a really big 'break/ over the Christmas period. Yeah I know it's almost february...

I'm playing once a week with a local funk bank and once every three weeks with a jazz improvisation group where we just get simple tunes, play them through and take a chorus each and try to work on our improvisation skills for a few hours.

I have done any 'practice' though for at least 2 maybe 3 months. Before that I was successfully managing 2 practice sessions a week with rehearsals.

I was really scared at my first rehearsal that I wouldn't be able to get a decent sound, remember any of the tunes or even play at all but after having a little warm up (we rehearse in a train station basement, i.e very cold!) it all came back and away I went.

Honestly I'd been away too long as it was refreshing to play again, but it did focus me in on what I was playing, my tone and that I need to practice so much more!!!

Glad it's going well for you!

I think this affects people differently, I find it can help..but I know others don't.

I think it works because your expectations of your performance are lowered a bit, you relax a little more and, hey presto, you surprise yourself!

That's how it's worked a coupla times for me, both with sax and with my golf......so after a 6-year layoff from the latter (Spanish green fees :( ) , I should be down to scratch........

No, there's a flaw in that argument somewhere... :D

Does taking a break help

Yeah it does, not too long though;}

yeah, I made that experience too. I try to practice every day, 1 hour or so.
And when there´s a point when I get quite ****ed off with something (lately: intonation), I take a break of two days or so, and then I see quite some improvement cos all of a sudden it almost comes out natural and I´m totally hooked again.
Have made that experience several times and I have some vague idea why (avoiding getting too tense is certainly one of them, and some weird things going on in the brain)

wow, didn´t know certain words here are automatically censored! Holy ****!

Hi guys,
thanks for your thoughts on this. Im going through enforced break with my left side condfition after a good week ir so. so i thought have sax round neck and develop right hand pinky fihger on those pesky bottom stack keys.
doing this and tyo=ping with wrong hand my MA essay fior timorrow.
life is such fun at times
keep playing alll
Ben

Most forum software does it. Usually the admins can configure it - and so if they miss a naughty word, it doesn't get censored.... Can also cause problems with words like Middlesex and Scunthorpe.

Most forum software does it. Usually the admins can configure it - and so if they miss a naughty word, it doesn't get censored.... Can also cause problems with words like Middlesex and Scunthorpe.

But not in this case. Actually you can say sex, so that wouldn't be an issue anyway.

I know some people may think this is unnecessary, but this forum has some very young visitors sometimes.

It's much better when we don't have to wade through a sting of unnecessary profanities in a thread. Young members or not. And we do have a 12 yr old member...

Might be good to have a break from this aspect of the subject, folks?