support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Courtney Pine’s MK VI for sale at Hanson’s

I looked at the pictures on the Hanson web site and it seems to me the neck/crook is different from that on other Mark VIs. I'm curious about it. Am I just wrong and it's original? Or could that be a replacement? Why would someone use a replacement? Maybe the original was damaged beyond replair? Or for some other reason like tone or intonation or...
It must be a Courtney Pine custom neck which adds £2495 to the price.

My examples were not jazz. But another example might be a free-jazz player in a trad jazz band. There are rules of style in music.

I mentioned somewhere here the other day that I once heard Lol Coxhill sitting in with a trad band. He clearly made a lot of concessions to the style but it sounded like trad-jazz with a few wrong notes.

An old friend of mine used to say on this topic "You've got to do what's wanted"

this is my stance

Pete Effamy said:
Ok, so if Coltrane does his thing in a Rock n Roll band - that’s ok?

An old friend of mine used to say on this topic "You've got to do what's wanted"

You can't hear it but the other day I came across this story about Coltrane "doing what's wanted".

Great article, showing that even a single-minded visionary like Coltrane had the musicianship to know what to use, how and when.

Pete Effamy said:
Ok, so if Coltrane does his thing in a Rock n Roll band - that’s ok?

You can't hear it but the other day I came across this story about Coltrane "doing what's wanted".

But probably not really wanting to

this is my stance
But if everyone had done what was wanted, the likes of Ornette Coleman and Sun Ra wouldn't have gone on to do what they did and influence the many that followed, I could have named many from various genres, they were the first two that came to mind.

But if everyone had done what was wanted, the likes of Ornette Coleman and Sun Ra wouldn't have gone on to do what they did and influence the many that followed, I could have named many from various genres, they were the first two that came to mind.
So did they create their own band where it made sense or create terrible gigs until surrounded by other players who made sense of what they were doing?

So did they create their own band where it made sense or create terrible gigs until surrounded by other players who made sense of what they were doing?
I'm afraid you've totally lost me there, I don't understand what you are saying

Well Ornette was kicked out of his high school band for improvising in Sousa marches and Sun Ra was playing on Saturn. :)

There are boundaries in most genres of music which players are expected to adhere too, although you could play a free jazz improvisation in a trad jazz band but I doubt you would ever be asked back again to play again.

There are boundaries in most genres of music which players are expected to adhere too, although you could play a free jazz improvisation in a trad jazz band but I doubt you would ever be asked back again to play again.
"They teach you there's a boundary line to music. But, man, there's no boundary line to art"
Charlie Parker

"They teach you there's a boundary line to music. But, man, there's no boundary line to art"
Charlie Parker
If you are a working pro musician and are being paid to do a certain type of job, that's what you do, if you want to put food on the table.
If you where a supply teacher teaching French, your not going to go in 3 hrs late for your shift and star teaching German.

If you are a working pro musician and are being paid to do a certain type of job, that's what you do, if you want to put food on the table.
If you where a supply teacher teaching French, your not going to go in 3 hrs late for your shift and star teaching German.
I did say earlier in the post that I look at it differently to a working musician

I did say earlier in the post that I look at it differently to a working musician
And that's fine, but music covers a wide spectrum and there is lots of discipline needed to be applied in certain genres, of course you don't have to take the job if its not to your liking.

I have an Allie >:)

Back
Top Bottom