support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Early Courtney Pine

scotsman

Locality
none
;);) Today I was searching my Jazz Archive.. (Actually I haveto say that it was an old shoebox!) listening to "Modern Day Jazz Stories" by Courtney Pine..This was a CD which I had a while ago and while appreciating the music at the time was of the opinion that it was a little "Way Out!".. How wrong can you be!! On relistening( and 10 years later BTW.) What a GREAT player!! Indeed I have listened (and used) some of the licks on this to "flavour" my own impovisations..Below is the full playlist.. I would recomend track 4 and 5.. This led me to his interpretation of "Round Midnight" on a later CD....Brilliant! Just check them out and would be most intersted in any comments..Regards ;);)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lakvAzrDCDk&list=OLAK5uy_lWF4bJO68yvVW48wqyDOfdD70VlA13q3A

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
Listened to the album on Spotify. Thank you for pointing to it, @scotsman ...

On the tracks where he impersonates John Coltrane he does a very good job of it, though a little goes a long way. He could've limited this style to one track and I would have heard enough (He did an entire JC tribute concert in Edinburgh a few years ago. A mate went. He stuck it out to the end but half the audience didn't)

The number with trumpet is basically a shootout for who can outplay the other, which isn't great listening

I prefer his playing where he is constrained by the structure of the number (with singers)... You get an inkling you're hearing C Pine play and not a resurrected Coltrane

Best track for me is Garden Eden. Love that soprano tone. But didn't like the nah nah na nah reference at the end which rather spoils the introspective atmosphere and makes it seem as though he's taking the mick out of his audience

Overall

Not gonna bother with other albums

scotsman

Locality
none
Listened to the album on Spotify. Thank you for pointing to it, @scotsman ...

On the tracks where he impersonates John Coltrane he does a very good job of it, though a little goes a long way. He could've limited this style to one track and I would have heard enough (He did an entire JC tribute concert in Edinburgh a few years ago. A mate went. He stuck it out to the end but half the audience didn't)

The number with trumpet is basically a shootout for who can outplay the other, which isn't great listening

I prefer his playing where he is constrained by the structure of the number (with singers)... You get an inkling you're hearing C Pine play and not a resurrected Coltrane

Best track for me is Garden Eden. Love that soprano tone. But didn't like the nah nah na nah reference at the end which rather spoils the introspective atmosphere and makes it seem as though he's taking the mick out of his audience

Overall

Not gonna bother with other albums

I know what you mean.. We were at the Lemon Tree in Aberdeen a couple of years ago. Courtney Pine was there with a collection of rock players and reggae soul guys..After about 20 minutes of this noise I was looking forward to the interval and unobtrusivly making our escape. Howerver there was no interva! and after the 90 mins were up it was anounced that as the audience seemed to be enjoying it they would do another 30 mins (Groan!!) . As we walked out my partner asked me what I thought. I answered "Not a lot" but mentioned I thought she was enthralled.. Her reply was "I felt the same as you and wanted to leave at the interval" A lack of comunication there. .Having said that I really like some of Courtney Pine's early work and was expecting something of the same in Aberdeen.. However. I have to say that all artists will (and should) try different things which we can all apprectiate and learn from and to stay playing the same stuff all the time can be somewhat soul destroying. Sort of the "Greatest Hits" syndrome. ..Regards

Last edited:
Top Bottom