• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Beginner recording Constructive criticism desired

Like many threads on the cafe, this one has digressed quite a bit. Luckily for me, otherwise I would have missed it completely while moving in Feb.. Some great tips have already been given and I've nothing to add to these. I just to to compliment you for posting your 1st recording and asking for feedback (which I never find time for). You practice more each day than I do most weeks. I enjoyed listening and I'm looking forward to listening to your next recording.

Well, maybe one tip: get used to playing while recording yourself (without any intention to post it). If you're anything like me, the red 'recording' light makes me tense up (despite my best intentions). I don't post anything these days but when I did, it helped me to record myself often with the thought "I'm just playing as I normally do, it doesn't have to be good. Mistakes are OK. I'll listen to these 5-10 recordings later if - by chance - there's a good one, I might even post it.". Kinda takes the pressure off.

Mike

I've decided to take the plunge and post a clip. I'm an intermediate player, returned to practicing in October after about a 12 year layoff. This is my attempt at Nat Adderley's, "Work Song". Alto. I know there are intonation issues, it's very simplistic and certainly not very good. But I handle critique very well. I can't get better unless I know what's wrong. I'm hoping some of you more experienced saxophonists can find the time to give a listen and offer your opinion and advice.

Thanks!

View: https://soundcloud.com/user-205889630/work-song-02-02-18-014939
 
going off topic...

[BGCOLOR=transparent]I find when i do a recording, it’s just like being back in school doing a real written exam. It’s only after playing the 1st couple of bars, that i finally settle down into the song.[/BGCOLOR]

i guess i could brain wash myself and ‘imagine i’m doing a recording’ everytime i practice the sax, then when i actually do a recording, let the greyhound see the hare...
 
If only it were that easy.....
As soon as I’ve hit record I seem to start “racing”. Everything goes out the window; tone, knowledge. Utterly hopeless.
 
After learning the sax for a year, i decided to do the grade 2 abrsm.

On the morning of the exam, i turned up an hour early, and went straight into the practice room, to warm up the sax etc..

Got my sax out, put the music sheets on the stand, and tried doing a few last minute reruns of the songs. I couldn’t play any of them properly (6 months of wasted practice), everthing just went out the window,

[BGCOLOR=transparent]In fact i wanted to climb out the window and drive straight home, i honestly didn’t see the point of doing the exam if i couldn’t control my playing.[/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=transparent]So then i calmed down, and thought what a waste, i’ve put all this practice in for nothing, got a bit p.... off with myself, then i thought ‘ now i’m here i might as well have ago, regardless of how s... i sound’ lol[/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=transparent]So i restarted the practice and finally managed to play through each piece, my teacher then turned up in the practice room and ‘normal service’ was resumed.[/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=transparent]I did the exam, got a merit, and where i lost points was on the aural tests.[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=transparent]Useless at clapping in time, and with a short term memory, found it difficult to remember where in the piece the examiner just played on the piano where things changed...[/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=transparent]Guess what, i haven’t done a grade since then.:confused2:[/BGCOLOR]
 
I record myself a lot. Sometimes even long tones, articulation exercises, etc. I find it helpful to monitor my progress and where I need work but it also has the benefit of making the process of recording commonplace. Our abilities don’t change with the mic turned on. It’s all perception.
 
I blame the parents.

From a very early age when Uncle and Aunty Snob visits, us kids have to be on our best behaviour when we enter the room and sit at the table - No Swearing, No Farting, No Belching, No Eating like a Pig. So the parents recording our behaviour are the 1st imaginary red light of the recording button in later life, watching our every move, waiting to pounce.

The red light of the recording button then triggers the same response from previous associations. No wonder pyschologists make so much money. lol
 
LMAO!!

I blame the parents.

From a very early age when Uncle and Aunty Snob visits, us kids have to be on our best behaviour when we enter the room and sit at the table - No Swearing, No Farting, No Belching, No Eating like a Pig. So the parents recording our behaviour are the 1st imaginary red light of the recording button in later life, watching our every move, waiting to pounce.

The red light of the recording button then triggers the same response from previous associations. No wonder pyschologists make so much money. lol
 

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,260
Messages
575,937
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom