support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Considering to buy a new alto saxophone

@Stephen Howard will tell you that the Yam 62 is not the Yam 62 of yesteryear. Used to be their flagship, but obviously now isn't and it seems that they've 'downgraded it'.

Steve doesn't seem to rate the Mauriat build quality too highly either - but rather than take my word for his - horses mouth Steve?
Hmmm....I have only had a cursory look/blow at one 62III...it seemed pretty nice. But granted I didn't have an older one next to me at the time.

I have all the respect for Stephen. With that said, my experiences also disagree with some of his bench reviews of certain models, FWIW (although I would say they are one of the more concise and helpful internet sources much of the time).

Hmmm....I have only had a cursory look/blow at one 62III...it seemed pretty nice. But granted I didn't have an older one next to me at the time.

I have all the respect for Stephen. With that said, my experiences also disagree with some of his bench reviews of certain models, FWIW (although I would say they are one of the more concise and helpful internet sources much of the time).
To be expected. And if either of you have only seen one or two of a certain model, there's always the possibility that it was a Friday afternoon model.

@spike and @JayeNM

Definitely, all sellers that I am considering have a 14-day return policy. 1 EUR = 1.10 USD then, USD 1,650
They you'd have what amounts to a 2-week trial period, to put it bluntly....

€1500 = $1650 yes, but looking at new prices from relatively large retail instrument shops online....don't the horns you listed cost far more than $1650 new....

...have you really found those 3 models brand-new for €1500 or less ????

The TJ appears to have a pricetag of If so, interestingly the prices are better on your side of teh pond than here (certainly for the Antigua and Mauriat).

(if so I'd have to knock off the Yama 62 from my list, then)

Last edited:
@Pete Effamy

What sort of mouthpiece will you be using? Or, are you thinking of using what comes in the box?

Good question. New headache!!. Now I wear an Otto link Tone-edge 6* on my Yani T901. Now for the new alto I would like to try Meyer.

@JayeNM

My price list is as follows :
  • Antigua Pro One - EUR 1.409,88
  • P. Mauriat Le Bravo 200 - EUR 1.499,00
  • Trevor James Signature Custom gold lacquer - EUR 1.599,00

wow those are pretty good prices.....interestingly significantly cheaper than my cursory internet searches this morning of either US or Europe sellers...

You did well to find those prices...or I am green when it comes to searching prices over there....

€1600 = $1770usd, so the 62 is definitely off my list. I still feel a Mauriat or Antigua to be only a so-so horn, particularly considering similarly priced options available.

Last edited:
wow those are good prices.....interestingly significantly cheaper than my cursory internet searches this morning of either US or Europe sellers.

You did well to find those prices.

€1600 = $1770usd, so the 62 is definitely off my list

Yes!, It is one of the main advantages of the European single market

Is that shop that offers the Mauriat and the TJ Custom reliable or well known in Spain? I came across that shop when searching for a specfic sax. Almost all saxes are at least slightly or significantly cheaper compared to the prices here in Germany. The diversity offered is impressive but taking a look at google street view it is a quite small store and pictures from the inside are showing mostly a stock of reeds, other instruments and only few saxophones. That may not exclude that the store will have a large repository somewhere or will be able to obtain the instruments from a whole saler in time. Just going by the pictures i wonder...

Alphorn

@Pete Effamy

Good question. New headache!!. Now I wear an Otto link Tone-edge 6* on my Yani T901. Now for the new alto I would like to try Meyer.

@JayeNM

My price list is as follows :
  • Antigua Pro One - EUR 1.409,88
  • P. Mauriat Le Bravo 200 - EUR 1.499,00
  • Trevor James Signature Custom gold lacquer - EUR 1.599,00
You want to try a new mouthpiece with the new horn?!

Anyway folks, we all know what we wouldn't do but @motondo doesn't live anywhere near a store and Spain is a big place. So what do we advise, with this in mind?

It may cost a bit more but travel to somewhere in Spain with a big Sax store and see what you like? (Or even Easyjet to London then Sax.co.uk?)

@Alphorn

Is that shop that offers the Mauriat and the TJ Custom reliable or well known in Spain? I came across that shop when searching for a specfic sax. Almost all saxes are at least slightly or significantly cheaper compared to the prices here in Germany. The diversity offered is impressive but taking a look at google street view it is a quite small store and pictures from the inside are showing mostly a stock of reeds, other instruments and only few saxophones. That may not exclude that the store will have a large repository somewhere or will be able to obtain the instruments from a whole saler in time. Just going by the pictures i wonder...

Alphorn

No idea....It would be my first order with them

They're all Taiwan horns, they might even all come from the same factory ;)
Here's an older thread on the Antigua alto
Saxophones - Antigua Pro One Alto
A mate of mine has an Antigua tenor. He comes round for a lesson every now and then.
I've played it a few times, decent ergonomics, well set up, I'd have no problem playing it.
Bottom line is - buying blind you don't know what you're going to get.
It may cost a bit more but travel to somewhere in Spain with a big Sax store and see what you like? (Or even Easyjet to London then Sax.co.uk?)
It's either that or roll the dice, read the tarot cards or visit the voodo queen.
If it was me I'd be scattering black cat bones over an open fire and mumbling humbo jumbo at the break of dawn.

Around a decade ago, I had to playtest about 30 saxes from the same manufacturer that the shop had set up and were selling. Even after a decent setup, I was amazed that I found differences in response and sound between the same model horns.

Having a predeliction for Gold medal SML horns I have had to purchase them untried, Always dealt with people who had a good history and that I had a good telephone conversation with. My first tenor was a good horn with that great SML sound. The second one I bought was simply magic. My SML alto is good but still looking for a magic one.

@spike

It's either that or roll the dice, read the tarot cards or visit the voodo queen.
If it was me I'd be scattering black cat bones over an open fire and mumbling humbo jumbo at the break of dawn.

It really is a controlled risk exercise ... Naturally with a significant investment of personal time.
On the other hand, here and now is the only way to opt for products and services that we do not obtain locally. Following the classic scheme of the local store, I would have never opted for my current Yanagisawa T901. It was also an acquisition in the network.

Or you could buy a good second hand Selmer with a returns policy. There are plenty on ebay etc.....Regards

A TJ SC at 1600E, that's an incredible offer. I know that my SC RAW cost me (new) quite more than that !
Better safe than sorry (although there may be nothing to be really sorry actually), but that TJ is really an SC, not an SR, right ?

I don't know anything about the other 2 models you're considering.
All I know is that I bought only 1 sax without being able to try it first, and I did it because I knew the mechanical qualities of it (it's a YTS 62 MkI, I had detailed pictures at the time). And it delivered exactly that: mechanical quality. But it also delivered _only_ that. What I mean is that it's a work horse, but it's not very inspiring for me... that aspect you can only know by trying the sax.

I have seen a few second hand YAS62 for the kind of money you're considering (in Italy).
Maybe you could also find some second hand Selmer SA80...

I love my TJ and find it to follow very nicely the lead of the different mouthpieces I tried on it. Others who responded on this thread (and are way better players than I will ever be) will tell you they have different experiences.
Good luck to you !

Oooh this thread is becoming downright fun ! :clapping:
Or you could buy a good second hand Selmer with a returns policy. There are plenty on ebay etc.....Regards
Why a Selmer ? Why not a Yanagisawa ? King ? Conn, Keilwerth, Yamaha, Martin, Buescher, Buffet, etc...?

Opening up the second-hand door alters the conversation significantly (personally I agree that one gets way more for their money going second hand but there are additional dynamics involved, then...)

I had to playtest about 30 saxes from the same manufacturer that the shop had set up and were selling. Even after a decent setup, I was amazed that I found differences in response and sound between the same model horns.

It really is a controlled risk exercise ... Naturally with a significant investment of personal time.
On the other hand, here and now is the only way to opt for products and services that we do not obtain locally.
If we are moving into theoretical/hypothetical stuff here....it is also quite fair to assume that one outcome of this might be:

You pick one, get it, like it, keep it. It serves you just fine. Only a few years later do you get an opportunity to try the model you initially eschewed...and you discover:

a) you like your choice better

or

b) you prefer the one you didn't initially choose....yet the one you bought has served you well, nevertheless.

Is either scenario that BAD, really ?

(Given the answer is arguably "no"....then basically the punch list you are utilizing in order to choose comes down to online reviews and impressions of those who have played one (or serviced one, or both). Ostensibly, you try to seek opinion from those who have no particular connection to the product.

No, being limited to that info alone will NOT allow you to make the decision as you would had you playtested all 3...or playtested 9 others also in that price range.

But it DOES inform you of certain significant aspects. So IMHO it isn't really a shot in the dark, a roll of the dice, a blind endeavor, etc, etc. when there is a return policy.

At worst there may be paying return ship and/or a restocking fee....but really, consider this the cost of having had the opportunity to take the horn on a 2-week trial run.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom