SYOS

Accessories Christmas Present Ideas (up to £25) for Saxophone Players

randulo

Playing alto 2 ⅓ years
Subscriber
What I can tell for sure is that the Monster #3 feels between a #2.5 and #3 with the last kind of reeds I played: Alexander NY (I am saying this so that maybe someone else can pitch in if they know these reeds).
In my (short) experience, the Vandoren are the hardest reeds I ever tried.
Interesting, thanks! As it happens, they're out of stock at the moment, but I did order one out of curiosity. I have played Vandoren 2, 2 1/2 and 3. What's funny is that Plasticover, which I like for some things is very comfortable in a 3. I occasionally try a Vandoren 2, but mostly play 2 1/2. On my cheap soprano, I use 2.

Hipparion

Interesting, thanks! As it happens, they're out of stock at the moment, but I did order one out of curiosity. I have played Vandoren 2, 2 1/2 and 3. What's funny is that Plasticover, which I like for some things is very comfortable in a 3. I occasionally try a Vandoren 2, but mostly play 2 1/2. On my cheap soprano, I use 2.
So, I finally tested my Monster #3 against a few reeds that could be of interest to you, @randulo .

Beware that the following are just my opinion on tests using only one reed of each type, so... eventually you may have to take these with a cliff-sized grain of salt !

Since you were interested with Vandoren Blue, I'll start with them, my monster #3 felt slightly softer than my Vandoren Blue #2.5. I didn't have a #2 at the time, if I find some, I'll add some more comments.
The closest I found in terms of resistance was a Vandoren V21 #2.5.
From the Vandoren stable, the closest in clarity was a Vandoren Jazz #2.5, but it felt a bit more resistant than the V21.
Still in terms of resistance (with clarity as secondary criterium), the closest to the Monster #3 that I found in the few reeds I tried was a Rigotti Gold #3.

Whether my terminology about 'clarity' relates to someone else's 'brightness' or not, I leave to the reader to determine. I am also very well aware that my characterization of resistance using terms like 'slightly', etc is not very precise, especially since the variability between one reed and the next can be quite important (and not always strictly related to the advertised stiffness of the reeds).
Final disclaimer, I didn't do anything special to any of these reeds (e.g. I didn't work on any of them, like some players like to do). The only thing I did was selecting the best reed among a few of their peers so that they would all be playable (by me). Although that process took place a while back none of the reeds were extensively used.

If further tests prove to give different impressions, I will post these (but I have no idea when I will find the time to do that before january).

randulo

Playing alto 2 ⅓ years
Subscriber
Since you were interested with Vandoren Blue
I very much appreciate the input! Actually, last year, I bought every Vandoren reed I know of, including V16, V21, Jazz, Blue, Green and Red. Yesterday, I played several hours with the Jazz 2 1/2, and it feels good sonically, but I do notice it feels "rough-hewn", the surface seems scratchy if I bear down or move my lip for altissimo. My standard reed is that Blue 2 1/2 although I have 2 and 3 as well. As it happens, the Monster 2 1/2 was out of stock, but I changed my order to a 3 and should get it soon. I also ordered a few Jazz and a few Plasticover 3.

I apologise for the OT, but it 's still saxophone, so I'm not adding the OT marker.

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

vries1

Subscriber
Good idea and decent price but I think Thomann could have done better with the aesthetic design.

Rhys
Agree! Why would they print such an atrociously large logo? It’s rather off-putting.

But it seems to be a trend, see for example the Vandoren harness, the mouthpiece patches that all of a sudden had to get a logo, the K&M music stand carrying bag, etc.

ESJohn

so how did everybody do? Zip for me. Of course, I hadn't actually asked anybody for anything, but I was sort of hoping for a reed, music book, etc. Oh well, my birthday is in February! Hope springs eternal!

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom