All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities
ArtistWorks

Accessories Christmas Present Ideas (up to £25) for Saxophone Players

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
I quite like the look of those key leaves - is anyone using them to stop the C#, D# and G# sticking ?
I made some wedges out of Sugru, and they work fine, (stops the G# sticking on my tenor) but the Key Leaves are more elegant.

If that is the case it would be worth looking into the cause of the stickyness...
Yes, I tried. It is (or was) a new Yamaha 62 alto. I cleaned the pads, the rim of the tone hole.

I don’t drink anything but water whilst I’m playing, and clean my teeth before hand.

Not sure what else to do.

I should clarify that it doesn’t continue to stick, just sticks when you first go to hit a G#. Even if I forget the key leaves, as long as I remember to pop it open first all is well.

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
I quite like the look of those key leaves
I have the wedges that keep Eb and C# keys open... they do the trick and are buyable in UK

I made the financial mistake of ordering the wedges and the string of V-shaped bumpers that lift the smallest upper keys. The V-bumpers need to fit your sax, and to do so involved a Skype chat with the nice geezer wot sells the key leaves

Long story short: to get all kit I had to order from US and ended up paying another 50% in customs...grrrrrrh

Wonko

I should clarify that it doesn’t continue to stick, just sticks when you first go to hit a G#. Even if I forget the key leaves, as long as I remember to pop it open first all is well.
I had the same problem on my tenor (YTS32) lately. Cleaned it with lighter fluid 2 or 3 times, but that didn't really help much.
I took my sax for its yearly overhaul to my tech. I told him about the sticky G# and he replaced the pad (+ 2 others that needed replacing). Since then no problems (OK, it's only been about 1 month).

OldNotGrey

I had to invest in Key Leaves for a recently purchased Yamaha YTS-82z (new) which was developing sticky pads after use. Strangely I didn't have much of a problem with the rolled tone holes on my well used Mauriat, perhaps they are more forgiving in this respect?

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

I've got a set of Key Leaves on its way to me and will start using them on alto and soprano which do sometimes have sticking pads, especially G# and low C#.

That made me think that (touch wood) I don't have sticking pads problems on my baritone and wonder whether the stickiness in breath/condensed water doesn't make it past the pigtail and just stays there or drips out of the spit valve.

Here is what Dan Forshaw was recommending in 2018:

Rhys

thomsax

I don't have sticking pads problems on my baritone and wonder whether the stickiness in breath/condensed water doesn't make it past the pigtail and just stays there or drips out of the spit valve.
I think so. The pads to take care of on my bari are the palm keys. Condensed water is not a big problem mid and lower parts of a bari.

I have never used Key Leaves but are they good for your sax/pads in the long run? I have no problems with sticking pads on my old Martin saxes, just on modern designed saxes. The design or the pads? Or a combination ? It's easier to keep the pads dry and clean on an older sax.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
That made me think that (touch wood) I don't have sticking pads problems on my baritone and wonder whether the stickiness in breath/condensed water doesn't make it past the pigtail and just stays there or drips out of the spit valve.
I have occasionally had G# stuck on my Yamaha bari. It's usually OK, but I use a C# wedge to be on the safe side.

randulo

Playing alto 25 months
Subscriber
If that is the case it would be worth looking into the cause of the stickyness...
What I found is that even on a brand new Yam, eventually G# and sometimes the low C would stick IF I didn't wipe the pad dry at the end of the session. That cured it completely. It doesn't always stick if I don't, but it never sticks when I do.

OP
rhysonsax

rhysonsax

What I found is that even on a brand new Yam, eventually G# and sometimes the low C would stick IF I didn't wipe the pad dry at the end of the session. That cured it completely. It doesn't always stick if I don't, but it never sticks when I do.
Do you use anything special to wipe those pads or is it just swabbing out the bore with a pull-through ?

Rhys

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber
It's probably overkill, but I am really thorough with my pads. After playing, I swab and then use my pad saver and bell saver to further pull out moisture. I use Key Leaves ( great product) and leave the body of the horn on a stand for a couple of hours to let the pads dry. That also lets the pad savers dry. Then the savers go into the horn and the horn goes in the case.

This really works well for me. I rarely have a problem with a sticky key.

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
I don't have sticking pads problems on my baritone and wonder whether the stickiness in breath/condensed water doesn't make it past the pigtail and just stays there or drips out of the spit valve
That's my working theory

Hipparion

How was the strength compared to Vandoren Blue?
It has been a long time since I played some Vandoren Blue reeds, so I should check (maybe tomorrow if I find the time). I play the Thomann's Monster reed in a #3 and never went harder than a #2.5 with Vandoren Blue.
What I can tell for sure is that the Monster #3 feels between a #2.5 and #3 with the last kind of reeds I played: Alexander NY (I am saying this so that maybe someone else can pitch in if they know these reeds).
In my (short) experience, the Vandoren are the hardest reeds I ever tried.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom