support Tone without tears Beginners' impro Patterns & exercises

Saxophones Case refurbishment

I did this case renovation a while back. A few pictures posted here and there but nothing of the complete build.
Sometimes there are no options for a aftermarket replacement case. So this is what happens when you try to restore what you have. It’s very time consuming but in this case (pun intended )worth it.

This is a case to a 1933-ish H. Bettoney metal clarinet. Initial inspection it looked like it just needed a few spots of glue.

case-before.jpg


I’ve never done a complete overhaul of a case before. Previously I’ve had some success relining the interior of a flute case.

1657312095944.jpeg

1657312213981.jpeg

1657312265936.jpeg


I’ve had extensive formal training in cabinet furniture/Millworks. Originally the trade I planned my future for. Things change. This project is well within my comfort zone. I actually started to giggle because this was just stupid. I’m only doing this because I can and need the case. I already know this is going to be 50 hours of work.
1657312449658.jpeg
 
Missing foot ? No big deal to make one. I have three other samples to choose from. If you do this just make sure they’re symmetrical.
1691882387508.jpeg

I lightly brushed the surface with some WD-40 as a mold release. Using hotmelt glue I covered the piece for my casting.
1691882816073.jpeg
1691882860468.jpeg

Let cool well.
1691882943902.jpeg

1691882981339.jpeg
 
Casting the part using JB Weld. Mix 1:1 and pour into leveled casting. Don’t forget a gentle brushing of WD-40 inside the casting.
1691883201578.jpeg

1691883282853.jpeg

Let cure 24 hours.
1691883467077.jpeg
1691883549534.jpeg

Sand/file and shape to fit.
1691883640462.jpeg
1691883723550.jpeg
 
I marked out the area where the foot belongs. Hope I’m correct. I coded the surface area and the bottom of the part. Don’t flinch sticking it on. You’ve got one shot !
1691884143933.jpeg

A quick masking job and time to give it a squirt of paint. Plastic specific textured paints are available. Not adding another $15 to the repair. I bought a box of these paints from an estate sale. Two dollars for a dozen.
1691884423523.jpeg
The next owner can do the upgrade if they wish. It’s clean and solid and that’s all that matters to me….Good-N-nuff !
1691884526971.jpeg

1691884608667.jpeg

1691884664480.jpeg

1691884798553.jpeg
 
Brilliant job. I hate waste. It must be so satisfying to get this kind of result :)

Jx
Thank you!
I’ve never been one to be wasteful. Many things get tossed in the bin due to economics. I could have easily gone out and spent $100 or more on a new/used case. I used maybe $25 /£20 on materials at the most and maybe 3 to 3 1/2 hours of my time. I try to encourage and inform those willing to do DIY repairs. Trying to make money on this as a technician is a complete loser. Largely the reason they go in the bin.
 
Excellent job m8, tell me does the interior smell of the added product
for a while? Or does air drying sort that out.
Dale
The shampoo has a short lived fragrance. The glue has none. Body filler smells like fiberglass resins. All but gone in a week. About the same for the new paint smell. Leaving a case in fresh air open matters.
 
That finished color was really bugging me. I was at the hardware store picking up some supplies for the house. They had the plastic paint in a better color. No texture paint available. They don’t carry it. $7 upgrade.
Lightly sanded to help it stick. Masked off and gave it a quick squirt.
3EE0C5F9-5753-41FB-871F-294139911EA2.jpeg
0C4D9C2C-262B-417C-860B-7E5DC1CCEB75.jpeg

Compared to the old color!
CA75AF19-C61D-4823-9AD0-954975AC9C28.jpeg
 

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Forum statistics

Topics
29,151
Messages
504,131
Members
8,545
Latest member
Miraven
Back
Top Bottom