• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophones Carrying a tenor on a (motor)bike?

harley VAB melbourne fla.webp
 
Ooohhh, that made me laugh. Enough to stage this (OK, my bike was out, and I only had to spend 10 minutes extricating the bari case from where it rots in the corner...). Wife (whose head appears, Chad like, in photo 2) thinks staging requires more litter and graffitti 🙂 But now I look at it...this is not out of the question, with some reflective tape applied to each end...
S7000197.webp
S7000198.webp
 
I should mention that was my backup Grassi tenor bubble wrapped in a Hiscox case strapped to my TourPak over closed cell doubled padding. Traveled with it from Missouri to Florida and back, about 3,000 miles total. I did have a rain cover for the case, if needed. No problems.
 
@mark_addy Jawa 350 ?
Right political regime, but wrong country. Ural 650 - this one retains its normal engine. I am meant to be going to a club rally this weekend coming, and am tentatively seeing if I can make it break down beforehand. With all respect to @Detroit Dave , this may be as much as a 130 mile round trip! I won't be taking a saxophone, but will make the weight up in tools and spares 🙂
 
Señor Pig,
Would like to know more about this bike/side car.
More pics?
Thanks.

Might make a side car for the kids and grandkids, for the '79 XT500, if they buy a ranch/farm in the Rockies.
Off road only.

View attachment 37540
XT 500 isn’t big enough. I’ve had several SR 500’s. Still have one ‘79.
This sidecar frame was hand built in 1995 by EML in Netherlands. 4130 chromoly, hand gas nickel bronze brazed. Nickel plated. A “Universal “ frame kit.
The body work tank / plastics came from Acerbis Italy.
The red protective cushions I made.
The engine came from Mark Zabel in Germany. 5 speed Maico 620 case wet transmission, dry carbon fiber& titanium clutch with Zabel 720cc single two stroke aluminum topend 18:1 compression on Mahle single ring cam ground piston. 13,000-15,000 rpm. Water cooled. Two plug motoplat (Italy) magneto ignition, compression release to start. 8 x 10 cm, 8 port carbon fiber case reed valve induction via Bing 44mm magnesium gold cup carburetor. 9cm exhaust with power valve. Exhaust system. Hand made & tuned on dynamometer at Bassani exhaust system, Califonia. The wheels, the hubs I hand machined all three. Measurements from Barum spools. The rims from Sun rims AKA Buchanans wheel. ( the father made the Captain America bike on Easy Rider) lifetime local friends.
I laced the wheels myself. .120 wire. Grade and nuts ?? Kenny Buchanan handed me a big box. “ this won’t break. Don’t fly the chair”. Front wheel 3”x 21”, rear 5-1/2 x 18, side 2-1/2 x16.
Handlebars, Pro Taper USA. Controls, Magura Germany , brakes, Brembo Italy.
Shocks all Ohlins. A High School classmate is US distributor. Got sponsored….$5k worth. No clue what grade / model as all three were hand made and tech tuned trackside by factory mechanics.
Rear 16” travel, front 18”, side 14”.
About 700 lbs /317 kg , rig, rider & passenger & full of fuel ( 5 gallons at speed = 40 miles)
We clocked 136mph on flat asphalt section during a Grand Prix. Highway patrol radar reported on our transponders. A tight course, I had short gearing on. Open desert I would go up one tooth on front sprocket and down one on rear.
1790765713871.webp

1790765746904.webp

1790765774827.webp

1790765835842.webp

1790765868116.webp
 
My best advice is to find a decent Ural 2wd in complete condition. Clean and service well.
Actually there’s a ton of buggies and reasonably safe side by side ranch type vehicles too.
ummmmm - I'm not sure I concur, as a Ural user 🙂 If you like getting covered in oil and you don't want to go very far, it can be fun. Ural 2WD has no diff - Dnepr MT16 from 80s (similar, but with an even more Soviet take on a BMW flat twin than a Ural, and from Kyiv not Siberia) had a diff, but these are hard to find and really quite pricey now for what they are. I think your XT suggestion might be OK, @PiccoloPirate - although I don't know much about Jap bikes so I don't know how the frame looks for working out where to put the fittings. But I've been sidecar-camping 2-up on a spine-frame MZ250 outfit which cost me less than 200 quid all-in, so I would take my recommendations with a big pinch of salt if you live in the 'real world'!

(Edit - if you make the sidecar, then scaff tube (so long as you can be arsed cleaning the galv off it - don't breath it in when you weld it), and a trailer 'indespension' (twisty-rubber-blocks-thing) unit with a trailer/car wheel on it, is the easiest and cheapest way to go. And the tyres are free-ish, which is good because you will scrub them out like nobodies business, likewise the rear on the bike. Thinking about it, if you use a trail bike with long-travel forks then an outfit will twist them around a lot and you'd probably need to make a fork brace, or leading links like Mr Squealer. I made leading links, but I probably used the last of my enthusiam doing so!)
 
XT 500 isn’t big enough. I’ve had several SR 500’s. Still have one ‘79.
This sidecar frame was hand built in 1995 by EML in Netherlands. 4130 chromoly, hand gas nickel bronze brazed. Nickel plated. A “Universal “ frame kit.
The body work tank / plastics came from Acerbis Italy.
The red protective cushions I made.
The engine came from Mark Zabel in Germany. 5 speed Maico 620 case wet transmission, dry carbon fiber& titanium clutch with Zabel 720cc single two stroke aluminum topend 18:1 compression on Mahle single ring cam ground piston. 13,000-15,000 rpm. Water cooled. Two plug motoplat (Italy) magneto ignition, compression release to start. 8 x 10 cm, 8 port carbon fiber case reed valve induction via Bing 44mm magnesium gold cup carburetor. 9cm exhaust with power valve. Exhaust system. Hand made & tuned on dynamometer at Bassani exhaust system, Califonia. The wheels, the hubs I hand machined all three. Measurements from Barum spools. The rims from Sun rims AKA Buchanans wheel. ( the father made the Captain America bike on Easy Rider) lifetime local friends.
I laced the wheels myself. .120 wire. Grade and nuts ?? Kenny Buchanan handed me a big box. “ this won’t break. Don’t fly the chair”. Front wheel 3”x 21”, rear 5-1/2 x 18, side 2-1/2 x16.
Handlebars, Pro Taper USA. Controls, Magura Germany , brakes, Brembo Italy.
Shocks all Ohlins. A High School classmate is US distributor. Got sponsored….$5k worth. No clue what grade / model as all three were hand made and tech tuned trackside by factory mechanics.
Rear 16” travel, front 18”, side 14”.
About 700 lbs /317 kg , rig, rider & passenger & full of fuel ( 5 gallons at speed = 40 miles)
We clocked 136mph on flat asphalt section during a Grand Prix. Highway patrol radar reported on our transponders. A tight course, I had short gearing on. Open desert I would go up one tooth on front sprocket and down one on rear.
View attachment 37541
View attachment 37542
View attachment 37543
View attachment 37544
View attachment 37545
That colour scheme reminds me of the teenager-magazines of my 80s youth. Does one ride it in white basketball boots, white socks, and a shiny flecked suit with the sleeves rolled up? 🙂
 

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,265
Messages
576,208
Members
8,084
Latest member
Richard Walker
Back
Top Bottom