support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Jazz Carla Bley trio ft. Andy Shepard on Sax

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Locality
Manchester,England
Found this and thought it was worth posting here.

Chris...

Last edited by a moderator:
Brilliant stuff from three top musicians. Following the URL I found that the YouTube clip had this information on songs played and timings:

1. 440 01:14 / 2. Baby Baby 09:51 / 3. Chicken 17:37 / 4. Waters Of March 25:29 / 5. The National Anthem: OG can UC - Flags - Whose Broad Stripes - Anthem - Keep It Spangled 32:34 / 6. Hip Hop 54:58 / 7. Les Trois Lagons: XVII - XVIII - XIX (d'après Henri Matisse) 1:03:14 / 8. The Lone Arranger 1:19:46 / 9. Wrong Key Donkey - Donkey 1:29:05 / 10. Lawns 1:41:49

One of my favourite CDs is this trio's live performances called 'Songs with Legs' and I love this track:

Rhys

really great link, i will have a full look sometime soon, Andy was a big inspiration to me when i was deciding if i was going to be a Getz sounding player or a bright player and i guess he tipped the scales for me to the bright side. :)

Brilliant stuff from three top musicians. Following the URL I found that the YouTube clip had this information on songs played and timings:

1. 440 01:14 / 2. Baby Baby 09:51 / 3. Chicken 17:37 / 4. Waters Of March 25:29 / 5. The National Anthem: OG can UC - Flags - Whose Broad Stripes - Anthem - Keep It Spangled 32:34 / 6. Hip Hop 54:58 / 7. Les Trois Lagons: XVII - XVIII - XIX (d'après Henri Matisse) 1:03:14 / 8. The Lone Arranger 1:19:46 / 9. Wrong Key Donkey - Donkey 1:29:05 / 10. Lawns 1:41:49

One of my favourite CDs is this trio's live performances called 'Songs with Legs' and I love this track:

Rhys

I was jamming this out with him a couple of months back.I started messing about on the tune and he joined in.I was well chuffed I must say.

I was jamming this out with him a couple of months back.I started messing about on the tune and he joined in.I was well chuffed I must say.

There's an experience to tell the grandchildren.

I got his solo on this transcribed by Curtis Swift of saxsolos.com and also got a backing track recorded. I've also got a video tape somewhere of AS playing it, but it's not as great as the version with Carla Bley.

Rhys

really great link, i will have a full look sometime soon, Andy was a big inspiration to me when i was deciding if i was going to be a Getz sounding player or a bright player and i guess he tipped the scales for me to the bright side. :)

I love his sound. To my ears it is really well balanced, full and warm right through the range, not just bright in the edgy, piercing way that lots of modern players sound.

Maybe we could have some versions of 'The Lord is Listenin' to Ya' as the Cafe Ballad one month.

Rhys

I love his sound. To my ears it is really well balanced, full and warm right through the range, not just bright in the edgy, piercing way that lots of modern players sound.

Maybe we could have some versions of 'The Lord is Listenin' to Ya' as the Cafe Ballad one month.

Rhys

I think he has the most perfect tenor tone in the WORLD !!!! .No way bright to me but as you say just very well balanced.The thing I love about him also he is his own man and style/sound.He is not trying to sound like anyone else.The same with Garbarek.These 2 guys do it there way.And if the words less is more are spoken heres a true case of it.Theres some monster top name guys out there but a lot for me just sound the same.Alot of Trane clones,alot of MB clones etc etc.I also love what Joshua Redman does.He has took a lot from the past masters but he still sounds like him.

I think he has the most perfect tenor tone in the WORLD !!!! .No way bright to me but as you say just very well balanced.The thing I love about him also he is his own man and style/sound.He is not trying to sound like anyone else.The same with Garbarek.These 2 guys do it there way.And if the words less is more are spoken heres a true case of it.Theres some monster top name guys out there but a lot for me just sound the same.Alot of Trane clones,alot of MB clones etc etc.I also love what Joshua Redman does.He has took a lot from the past masters but he still sounds like him.
yup! been guilty of it too trying to copy others but i think we all do it in 1 way or another at times, least i'm honest!
but in another way it shows how inspirational all them players are/were, Andy has always been in the back of my mind when i want to think of different approaches, very under rated and i think he is great.

yup! been guilty of it too trying to copy others but i think we all do it in 1 way or another at times, least i'm honest!
but in another way it shows how inspirational all them players are/were, Andy has always been in the back of my mind when i want to think of different approaches, very under rated and i think he is great.

IMO There is nothing wrong with being influenced by other players. How does that saying go. I Stand on the shoulders of giants. and many a great player has said that. Personally I admire MB for his virtuosity, but I prefer to listen to Gene Ammons play a ballad. So for me there ain't nobody that can do it all.:) But I think the important point is that whatever you take , you should make it your own. I do it all the time , I think it's a curse.>:)

The trick is, when somebody says, Hey man you sound just like Michael Brecker, you say ... Michael Who !!!!!

The trick is, when somebody says, Hey man you sound just like Michael Brecker, you say ... Michael Who !!!!!
the REAL trick is when somebody say "you sound like (insert name)....." then the best reply is to say
"naah, (insert name) sounds like me!"

:)))

Yea nothing wrong with it but for me I love Sheppard,Garbarek as they have there own voice.Garbarek was a very Coltrane sounding player in the 60's and early 70's but he went his own way.I find to many people just sound the same.I hear a few songs and I don't know who it is.I hear Sheppard,Garbarek and its like WOW that's them.And of course we all nick,take and try things from top players.Thats common sense.Thats how we learn and who we like.But I think in the end you need to take your own little path.Sheppard said a great quote " you climb up the mountain taking bits here and there and when you get to the top you jump off "

We all do everyday but I find how much is the case with most players.Eddie Van Halen appeared in the 80's and it was amazing but soon after there was way to many Halen type players.

Yea nothing wrong with it but for me I love Sheppard,Garbarek as they have there own voice.Garbarek was a very Coltrane sounding player in the 60's and early 70's but he went his own way.I find to many people just sound the same.I hear a few songs and I don't know who it is.I hear Sheppard,Garbarek and its like WOW that's them.And of course we all nick,take and try things from top players.Thats common sense.Thats how we learn and who we like.But I think in the end you need to take your own little path.Sheppard said a great quote " you climb up the mountain taking bits here and there and when you get to the top you jump off "

Great quote BTW. I have trouble actually wanting to sound like anybody, even the great Paul Desmond. { as my transcripton of the Paul D. clip of Emily below illustrates} So im not sure how others go about trying to copy other players. Is it a lack of self expression, lack of background, or a need to be accepted as one of the flock. I try to play the music through the notes when it comes to transcriptions. Maybe I have it completely wrong, and This is something i have thought about a lot.So any input appreciated from all.
Comments welcome.:)
PS. As i said it may be a curse, because i always sound like myself. Its true a lot of players sound similar, and nothing out of the ordinary,but they probably still sound like themselves

Dead links removed

Great quote BTW. I have trouble actually wanting to sound like anybody, even the great Paul Desmond. { as my transcripton of the Paul D. clip of Emily below illustrates} So im not sure how others go about trying to copy other players. Is it a lack of self expression, lack of background, or a need to be accepted as one of the flock. I try to play the music through the notes when it comes to transcriptions. Maybe I have it completely wrong, and This is something i have thought about a lot.So any input appreciated from all.
Comments welcome.:)
PS. As i said it may be a curse, because i always sound like myself. Its true a lot of players sound similar, and nothing out of the ordinary,but they probably still sound like themselves

As I keep saying we all do it.Thats how we learn.Most sax method books are geared this way.As this thread about Sheppard i'm saying why I like him and also his composing.How many times you hear him or Garbarek play a standard,thats my likes on these guys.Yes I would love to sound like them but again only in little bits.When I hear someone really trying to be a complete copy of a great player it does nothing for me really as it just sounds like a weak diluted version.What rocks my boat for my personal likes is a sax player that just stands out and you know its them.Every musician has to learn his craft and take a lot from the greats.Thats what you need to do but again if you want to be a clone go that way.As I said 1 of the replys theres soooo many amazing top line guys that go that way but again they all sound the same.If that's there way great on them but give me someone different and i'm happy.

Yes we have gone a bit off topic, but the point was made re. sounding like one of the greats, and for my own curiosity, and any other member who finds it relevant, why wouldnt you want to emulate a great player, without becoming a clone. But i see myself as a bit strange,not wanting to sound like anybody else, { not big headed, just find it too much work} some may prefer to work towards. ie some Chris potter with a dash of Brecker, and a lashing of Gene Ammond. and perhaps washing it down with a bit of Getz {without the chirping of course} Its an interesting discussion. Perhaps would make an interesting thread, that could be started by someone who is clued up as to the various different styles, more than i am.

Yes we have gone a bit off topic, but the point was made re. sounding like one of the greats, and for my own curiosity, and any other member who finds it relevant, why wouldnt you want to emulate a great player, without becoming a clone. But i see myself as a bit strange,not wanting to sound like anybody else, { not big headed, just find it too much work} some may prefer to work towards. ie some Chris potter with a dash of Brecker, and a lashing of Gene Ammond. and perhaps washing it down with a bit of Getz {without the chirping of course} Its an interesting discussion. Perhaps would make an interesting thread, that could be started by someone who is clued up as to the various different styles, more than i am.

Well I do try and use a lot of Sheppard and Garbarek in my thinking,sound and playing.The point I make is a person going to far and trying to be an exact copy.Thats when I think the player has lost there own voice which is a shame I feel.All wont agree and I understand this also.