support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Cane vs synthetic

Apologies you are correct the problem seemed to occur when the legeres are stored in reed holders designed for cane reeds. I actually had the problem using the rico reed holder which is why I started leaving the reed on the mouthpiece
I can see why you would leave the reed on the mouthpiece if you don't have a flat surfaced case.

Guys, seriously, I tried the Fiberreed Onyx Soprano M on a few different mouthpieces and it always sounds oddly bright. Any one here has experience with them? @Wade Cornell since you mentioned them, what's your take on the soprano version? Perhaps M is too soft...

I just tried a couple of new mouthpieces with my Légère reeds and they both sounded pretty good, but the Onyx sounds horrible!

Guys, seriously, I tried the Fiberreed Onyx Soprano M on a few different mouthpieces and it always sounds oddly bright. Any one here has experience with them? @Wade Cornell since you mentioned them, what's your take on the soprano version? Perhaps M is too soft...

I just tried a couple of new mouthpieces with my Légère reeds and they both sounded pretty good, but the Onyx sounds horrible!
I have not tried the Onyx on soprano, in fact I have struggled to find any synthetic work for me on soprano so I play with cane, but on alto the Fiberreed Onyx sounds good on my D'Addario select jazz but it not so good on some of my other pieces, so I use Legere Signatures on other pieces.
I have also found the Onyx a bit on the soft side so have gone up a strength for that reed.

I just tried another combination that to my surprise sound better:

IMG_20200627_161913350.jpg

The Pomarico Crystal 4 I used to like when playing classical pieces works well and not oddly bright.

Then the aesthetic mix of glass, gold and black is interesting! :D

To be honest I haven't tried any of the fiberreed soprano reeds. I very seldom play soprano these days and still have a lot of reeds from when I did. I tend to play sopranino instead and fiberreed doesn't make them. I have played their alto reeds which work well. I'm playing around 50% tenor, 45% sopranino, and 5% alto. Sorry no help!

That's fine Wade, I was just curious. It seems many here tried but didn't fall in love with synth reeds for soprano and that tends to be my current feeling. Although, my latest Kanee soprano mouthpiece appears to get along well with a Légère Signature 2.5.

I have not been playing soprano that much lately (not enough) so going back to it takes a bit of practice. I tend to jump octaves a lot more than I ever did before, particularly down (C3# sounding like C2# or F3# sounding F2#) and that MUST be handled! :oops:

I'm gonna be away again the whole week, so I'm considering taking my sop with me, but my hotel neighbours may not enjoy my awkward playing. If I can still find enough juice in me to play after a stressful day's work! :(

That's fine Wade, I was just curious. It seems many here tried but didn't fall in love with synth reeds for soprano and that tends to be my current feeling. Although, my latest Kanee soprano mouthpiece appears to get along well with a Légère Signature 2.5.

I have not been playing soprano that much lately (not enough) so going back to it takes a bit of practice. I tend to jump octaves a lot more than I ever did before, particularly down (C3# sounding like C2# or F3# sounding F2#) and that MUST be handled! :oops:

I'm gonna be away again the whole week, so I'm considering taking my sop with me, but my hotel neighbours may not enjoy my awkward playing. If I can still find enough juice in me to play after a stressful day's work! :(

A quick easy trick for muting any sax is to put a bit of loose gauze in the neck. Needs to be changed often as it gets quite wet. Cuts the volume down by a significant amount without affecting the tone or tuning too much. Cheap and dirty, but works.

I never think about reeds anymore, it just stays on the sax (apart from cleaning) and I play, simple as that.

I spent some years going between various cane and legere reeds, normally because I thought the canes sounded more refined but kept going back to the Legere reeds when I was playing live because they were more 'alive' and of course reliable. Just over a year ago I gave up entirely on cane reeds for good simply because I always enjoy playing on the legere signature reeds more. The durabilty, consistency and the fact that they play straight away is just the icing on the cake

This may be because the Legere have improved over the years and also possibly because living in Sydney in the summer the humidity deadens the cane reeds even more compared to the Legere.
I agree totally on this..I played Plasticover reeds for a time and then bought a Legere Signature reed which initially I found a bit stuffy..my fault by incorrect reed placement and now really enjoy the sound..have just bought my 2nd reed to alternate and playing great at first blow

Tried a Fiberreed but really soft so need to exchange. Anyone help on how to do this? Their website mentions it but I can't find any way of doing so.

Tried a Fiberreed but really soft so need to exchange. Anyone help on how to do this? Their website mentions it but I can't find any way of doing so.

Where did you buy it from? I got the impression that returns only taken if you buy direct from Hartmann. Might be wrong.

I bought from Reeds Direct and they told me they didn't do the same return as Legere. Would give me 50% credit on return.

Where did you buy it from? I got the impression that returns only taken if you buy direct from Hartmann. Might be wrong.

I bought from Reeds Direct and they told me they didn't do the same return as Legere. Would give me 50% credit on return.
Ah, got mine from Gear4Music. I think you're right, because of the Legere exchange programme I read that into this statement:

If a Fiberreed you bought from us does not have the right strength for you, you may return it in between 14 days after your buy.

It does say "us" of course, but I took that to mean indirectly from them. Ah well. Not perhaps the best way to win players from cane.

Ah, got mine from Gear4Music. I think you're right, because of the Legere exchange programme I read that into this statement:

If a Fiberreed you bought from us does not have the right strength for you, you may return it in between 14 days after your buy.

It does say "us" of course, but I took that to mean indirectly from them. Ah well. Not perhaps the best way to win players from cane.

No, it's pricey, isn't it. I am not a reed 'worker' but I decided rather than faffing around with returning the Medium Soft, I'd see if it made a difference sanding down the tip a little. It did work a bit but was still soft. I ordered a Medium Carbon Onyx and it's fine for me. Plays really easily, but I get the impression I could play a Medium Hard without any problems. This is despite the Hartmann Strength chart suggesting the Medium was quite a bit harder than the Vandoren 2.5's I'm used to playing.

No, it's pricey, isn't it. I am not a reed 'worker' but I decided rather than faffing around with returning the Medium Soft, I'd see if it made a difference sanding down the tip a little. It did work a bit but was still soft. I ordered a Medium Carbon Onyx and it's fine for me. Plays really easily, but I get the impression I could play a Medium Hard without any problems. This is despite the Hartmann Strength chart suggesting the Medium was quite a bit harder than the Vandoren 2.5's I'm used to playing.

I just got a tenor Fiberreed Carbon MS, and it is also softer than their chart suggested. I can play it easily, but it feels a bit squidgy. Very bright and quite loud. It's like having a different mouthpiece.

I just got a tenor Fiberreed Carbon MS, and it is also softer than their chart suggested. I can play it easily, but it feels a bit squidgy. Very bright and quite loud. It's like having a different mouthpiece.

That's what I found. Exceptionally loud and very difficult to control intonation because of the softness. Perhaps I could have learned to control it with time.. I found the Carbon Onyx to be reasonably dark, whatever that means!

Not sure if strengths are consistent across the range or if the Carbon is different to the Carbon Onyx. The Medium is much better for me. Harder, but still incredibly responsive, especially on the low notes. Very easy blowing.

I'm not sure their (Fiberreed) strength chart is as accurate as it should be, I play alto 2.5 Legere Signature but are using MH Onyx which equates to a 3.75 Legere Signature on the chart.
Pete you could try clipping it, I have had good results with Fiberreeds with this, just removing a tiny bit at a time, they says on the website that you can remove upto a mm

I'm not sure their (Fiberreed) strength chart is as accurate as it should be, I play alto 2.5 Legere Signature but are using MH Onyx which equates to a 3.75 Legere Signature on the chart.
Pete you could try clipping it, I have had good results with Fiberreeds with this, just removing a tiny bit at a time, they says on the website that you can remove upto a mm
Oh ok I might try that - if I can find my reed cutters! Cheers. Will report back..

Ok my feedback is this:

I play on fairly soft reeds for the work that I do, and I like the buzz of a softer reed. I can tone it down when needed too.

so I first ordered Legere Signature and Fiberreed Carbon Onyx that were supposedly equal to a 2.5 Vandoren ZZ or so. Nothing of the sort, extremely soft.

Exchanged for a Legere 2.5 - this is about right, though it is a little stuffy. It’s nearly a good fit for me, but not quite.

Fiberreed - got a MH - supposed to be like a Vandoren 4?! Nope, it’s still too soft. But, there’s a lot in them that I like, if only I could find the correct strength.