All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Reeds Cane vs synthetic

Jazzaferri

@Wade Cornell Thanks for that. It still works out to $65.xx Cdnfor the carbon reed. Bit too rich for my blood. Have to wait and see if Fiberreed will sell to Canada ex tax

have to last for years for me to pay that price.

h4yn0nnym0u5e

@Wade Cornell Thanks for that. It still works out to $65.xx Cdnfor the carbon reed. Bit too rich for my blood. Have to wait and see if Fiberreed will sell to Canada ex tax

have to last for years for me to pay that price.
You could try Reeds Direct from here in the UK. According to their website they do appear to ship internationally, which I'd assume is ex tax to non-EU countries or it wouldn't be worth it.

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
As I understand it Legere have a returns policy where they will replace a reed if you buy the wrong strength. I've never taken this up as I was happy with the 2.5 Signature Reeds I bought.

I tried a MS Carbon Onyx which was too soft. Reeds Direct offered a 50% Credit on return and exchange, but it seems Hartmann do not do the same return offer as Legere (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Thinking back, I should have opted on the strong size, seeing as these reeds can be worked. It might be worth bearing this in mind as the strength options for Hartmann are quite limited.

I quite liked the sound of the reed. Interestingly it sounded very buzzy at the mouthpiece, but that buzziness didn't come across at the working end of the horn. In fact the reed sound nice and dark, with a bit of edge when pushed. The buzziness might have been because it was relatively soft.

jazzdoh

I have found that the Onyx at least the ones I have run on the softer side compared with the Carbon Classics, i use mediums on the Carbons and medium hard on the Onyx but I don't know if this is just mine or the batch that I have.

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
I have found that the Onyx at least the ones I have run on the softer side compared with the Carbon Classics, i use mediums on the Carbons and medium hard on the Onyx but I don't know if this is just mine or the batch that I have.
Mmmm, I was recommended a Medium after advising I used 2.5 Vandoren Java's, which are a very comfortable fit for me. I haven't yet returned the MS on the basis that getting two reeds wrong is an expensive business.

jazzdoh

Mmmm, I was recommended a Medium after advising I used 2.5 Vandoren Java's, which are a very comfortable fit for me. I haven't yet returned the MS on the basis that getting two reeds wrong is an expensive business.
I was reluctant to write the above post due to if I had just had a softer batch, it is an expensive game if you get it wrong, but on the brighter side at least Fiberreeds can be adjusted both softer and harder a lot easier than Legeres.

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
I was reluctant to write the above post due to if I had just had a softer batch, it is an expensive game if you get it wrong, but on the brighter side at least Fiberreeds can be adjusted both softer and harder a lot easier than Legeres.
Yes, it is a case of blower beware!

I might try to have a work on the MS, see what happens. I do like my Vandorens. but I am also a lazy wotsit who likes to keep a reed on a mouthpiece..

jazzdoh

Yes, it is a case of blower beware!

I might try to have a work on the MS, see what happens. I do like my Vandorens. but I am also a lazy wotsit who likes to keep a reed on a mouthpiece..
I never leave reeds cane or synthetic on mouthpieces always put them on a flat surfaces, a friend of mine payed a lot of money on a Jody Jazz DV, left a reed on for a week and it had removed a lot of the plating of the table.

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
I never leave reeds cane or synthetic on mouthpieces always put them on a flat surfaces, a friend of mine payed a lot of money on a Jody Jazz DV, left a reed on for a week and it had removed a lot of the plating of the table.
It's my personal gentle nod towards the rock n roll lifestyle I will never live..

OP
saxyjt

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
I managed to try all 4 sizes of Fiberreeds I bought. All strength M.

Except for the soprano, my first impression is relatively good. I must spend more time playing them and comparing them with the Légère I have.

The soprano is really too bright for my taste.

The baritone enabled me to play my SYOS mouthpiece better than any other reeds I have tried on it, but I need to try that Fiberreeds on other mouthpieces.

The alto felt pretty good. I tried it on a SYOS and on a Kanee NY. I'm not in love with the SYOS and it didn't change that. But it sounded rather good with the Kanee.

Unfortunately I'll be away most of the coming week, so I will not be able to continue this experiment until next WE. :(

At least I don't feel like it's all a waste of money. To me M feels like Vandoren blue 2.5 in terms of strength, not sound!

Janosax

Ok...with apologies, I'm not going to be of much help on this one: (1) I couldn't find the Legere, or for that matter the Bari (synthetic) that I thought I had, (2) I did order and play through a bunch of Queen, but I'm mostly playing the blue. I am pretty detailed in exposure with the blue, not as exposed to the Queen.

That said, I did find a Fibracell (SOFT). It's on the horn in my lap right now. I normally play (on Ponzol ii-V-I .110) either 2.0 or 2.5 in Alexander, sometimes some straggling 3's will be good. I'm on the light side of 2.5 with Alexander. Vandoren is fairly similar range, but mostly I end up with 2's when I play through ZZ and check what made made cut (far fewer 2's do, with ZZ, than 2.5s with Alexander). But again the ZZ's will last and the Alexanders will often die quickly if not "broken in," and sometimes even if broken in.

At first blow, the soft Fibracell was actually pleasant, tonally, but I'm on a fairly bright Taiwan tenor with a custom neck. I actually liked the color and tone of the core right away. Until I discovered that even though the tone is on point and low notes feel about right, it's no go.

I basically can't play above F2 because the reed closes off. I can play F2 just fine, but no G2. No way, no how. The reed closes off against the table and doesn't beat (does not happen with too-soft Alexander or Vandoren).

Anyway, all of that said for me in the blue I'm usually on 2.0 soft or 2.0 medium. Best I can do at the moment.
Thanks for your feedback Palo. Perhaps 15 years ago I bought a Bari reed and it was responsive but way too bright. Also bought a Fibracell and didn’t liked it but don’t remember why... perhaps something about the response. I tried some old Rico Jazz Select 2M yesterday and that was interesting, much brighter than Legere, it sang better especially with octave key (first overtones). Legere is often a bit weak here, even if excellent in lower notes (without octave key). I have to bought and try some D’Addario Jazz Select 2H, some Fiberreed, and also some Rigotti Gold if I find them. Legere is a dark sounding reed, I like it and play it almost exclusively but I often find something is missing, that must be that brightness I’ve found in RJS 2M.

just saxes

Commercial Supporter
Thanks for your feedback Palo. Perhaps 15 years ago I bought a Bari reed and it was responsive but way too bright. Also bought a Fibracell and didn’t liked it but don’t remember why... perhaps something about the response. I tried some old Rico Jazz Select 2M yesterday and that was interesting, much brighter than Legere, it sang better especially with octave key (first overtones). Legere is often a bit weak here, even if excellent in lower notes (without octave key). I have to bought and try some D’Addario Jazz Select 2H, some Fiberreed, and also some Rigotti Gold if I find them. Legere is a dark sounding reed, I like it and play it almost exclusively but I often find something is missing, that must be that brightness I’ve found in RJS 2M.
No problem -- would like to have been more helpful. You guys have definitely convinced me to revisit Legere, which I'll do if I can ever find the one I have...which is probably also about 15 years old! lol

I was surprised by how much better than I remembered the tone was (on the notes that would play) on the Fibracell than I remembered. I do think a part of that is that I was on a horn that is inherently on the bright side.

ellinas

I was using legere reeds. The Signature ones. They are very nice though I couldn't control the articulation as I wanted.
I went back to cane reeds... I bought a reed geek. It really helped. I mean it REALLY helped.

Boom after some months I lost ( or somebody stole it? ) the reedgeek.

I replaced it with a very cheap solution.

HSS square toolbits (12% cobalt) with inclined edges.

I bought the more expensive one that has

I gently massage the reed table just like a reedgeek, ( i do this almost every time before putting the reed on the mouthpiece )

and I correct buzzing and response issues using all the same procedures (gently rubbing the wings ) as I did with the reedgeek.

Here's a nice tutorial video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9e-bcORE8M&t=653s

Result : I don't throw reeds (and my money). I get the most of every reed. It's very rare that a reed is not playable.
I save lots and lots of money .... and cane is again after years .... a good friend :D

PS : Reedgeek is a very well thought product and is always better than my 7 euros solution, but I couldn't afford a second 80 euros purchase ... and it works really well. That's why I share my experience.

Janosax

I was using legere reeds. The Signature ones. They are very nice though I couldn't control the articulation as I wanted.
I went back to cane reeds... I bought a reed geek. It really helped. I mean it REALLY helped.

Boom after some months I lost ( or somebody stole it? ) the reedgeek.

I replaced it with a very cheap solution.

HSS square toolbits (12% cobalt) with inclined edges.

I bought the more expensive one that has

I gently massage the reed table just like a reedgeek, ( i do this almost every time before putting the reed on the mouthpiece )

and I correct buzzing and response issues using all the same procedures (gently rubbing the wings ) as I did with the reedgeek.

Here's a nice tutorial video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9e-bcORE8M&t=653s

Result : I don't throw reeds (and my money). I get the most of every reed. It's very rare that a reed is not playable.
I save lots and lots of money .... and cane is again after years .... a good friend :D

PS : Reedgeek is a very well thought product and is always better than my 7 euros solution, but I couldn't afford a second 80 euros purchase ... and it works really well. That's why I share my experience.
Interesting feedback, I was searching for such an alternative yesterday, have you got a shop link?

Pete Effamy

As I understand it Legere have a returns policy where they will replace a reed if you buy the wrong strength. I've never taken this up as I was happy with the 2.5 Signature Reeds I bought.

I tried a MS Carbon Onyx which was too soft. Reeds Direct offered a 50% Credit on return and exchange, but it seems Hartmann do not do the same return offer as Legere (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Thinking back, I should have opted on the strong size, seeing as these reeds can be worked. It might be worth bearing this in mind as the strength options for Hartmann are quite limited.

I quite liked the sound of the reed. Interestingly it sounded very buzzy at the mouthpiece, but that buzziness didn't come across at the working end of the horn. In fact the reed sound nice and dark, with a bit of edge when pushed. The buzziness might have been because it was relatively soft.
Unfortunately not in these Covid times..

Rikki

This is why I don't leave the reed on the mouthpiece any more when finished playing. It always goes on a flat surface, and it just occurred to me that I've probably developed a kind of reed-specific-tic in that I think I always sort of smooth it down onto that flat surface before leaving it in its "pen" for the night.

Something I meant to mention in my last post: the big advantage Rigotti have over Alexander, for me personally, other than a slightly higher percentage of good/decent reeds per count: they don't require as much care/prep as Alexander and do not have any of the issues with dying quickly. You can just put one on and go, and trust it to last -- at least this is my finding thus far, after about 6 months, post-switch. I did find that for Alexander to last with any consistency you have to "break them in" as directed by users and the company literature. You don't have to do that with Rigotti, at least I don't find it necessary.

Still not as convenient as synthetic in that regard, but closer than other cane reeds -- i.e., more consistent, longer lasting. I would take the "response curves" (how the low notes play relative to the mid range relative to the high notes) with Rigotti cane over any synthetic I tried, but you all have a lot more experience with synthetic than me.
The Legere reed I have used for the past year has a slight bend on the tip as I used to press the tip against the mouthpiece to check alignment. I always leave the legere on the mouthpiece yet I have found the bend at the tip makes not a jot of difference to the sound, in fact I would advise not storing the legeres in a reed guard flat as it encourages splitting (my own experience, also check out advice from Legere)

jazzdoh

I store my Legeres and Fiberreeds in Fibracell cases, not had any problems with tip bending or splitting.
Legere website recommends removing from mouthpiece and storing on a flat surface, but if leaving the reed on the mouthpiece works for you then that's fine.

Rikki

I store my Legeres and Fiberreeds in Fibracell cases, not had any problems with tip bending or splitting.
Legere website recommends removing from mouthpiece and storing on a flat surface, but if leaving the reed on the mouthpiece works for you then that's fine.
Apologies you are correct the problem seemed to occur when the legeres are stored in reed holders designed for cane reeds. I actually had the problem using the rico reed holder which is why I started leaving the reed on the mouthpiece

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom